Homes Saved By Faith meeting in Stratford

Full story: Connecticut Post

A group representing 150 churches will be at Town Hall, 2725 Main St., on Monday at 10 a.m. to discuss neighborhood efforts by churches to help save homes from foreclosure.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
The other side of it

Wallingford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2008

Judged:

Making homeownership affordable, as a kind of social improvement initiative, is a two-step program:
1/The house must have an affordable price (affordable to people of average income or thereabouts)
2/The mortgage must have affordable terms
Unless those two pieces of the puzzle are in place, default is often the result.
Too many defaults, and entire banking institutions begin to crash. That's what is happening now.
The federal government should be investing in steps 1 and 2, rather than in step 3, which is the bailout of the crashing banking institutions.

Since: Mar 08

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2008

Judged:

Pastor Nunes in BPT was very instrumental in helping many. Not to sure about THIS set up looked into it..seems as though too much power play..many people had offered help and were told that Ministers,(like they have time & knowledge?) &heads of congregations would having training to help...seems hokey pokey...Got to be careful many prey on the vulnerable. The fact that very little info was given to me,despite my and several others to help,we got the runaround by Pastor Mccluster. Unlike Pastor Nunes -she has NO agenda of her own- Soemthing doesn't seem right-seems too hush hush -WHY?
Stratford Resident

New Rochelle, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2008

Judged:

The sub-prime-lending fiasco is getting its just reward. Insolvency/foreclosure seems just reward for illegal lending/borrowing. All fuel by greed. Lenders and borrowers were all lying to close deals. Sure the deals might have squeaked by had home values continued to climb but corrections were long over do.

Fifteen years ago I was shopping for this our first house. I knew what I could afford. I wanted a decent $150,000 house in working class Stratford. Yet after seeing my personal line of credit the local mortgage broker had our realtor dust off the bosses Lexus & take us around the $700K mini-mansions in Monroe. I pitched a fit.

The following day we were back in the salesman's Camry looking at reasonably priced homes. I had no desire to live for the roof over my head.

Its a shame. Christ taught us to turn the other cheek. Yet the rule of law & a sense of fair play say to let the scammers pay with their homes in foreclosure & the shoddy lending institutions in financial ruins. Why should those who bought our homes responsibly pay for those who did not?

Whether a bailout is local or federal, it still boils down to those who are meeting their financial obligations paying the way for those who won't live within their means.

I applaud the church leaders for stepping up. If they can arbitrate fair settlements between willing & able lenders & borrowers God Bless them all. I hope it works.

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2008

Judged:

Stratford Resident wrote:
The sub-prime-lending... I applaud the church leaders for stepping up. If they can arbitrate fair settlements between willing & able lenders & borrowers God Bless them all. I hope it works.
I am with you,however-have to say Pastor Nunes enlisted those of us (screened carefully) with various aspects of necessary expertise, Realtors,Mortgage,Attorneys,so we may Donate our time our gifts of knowledge the gifts God gave us. We were able to help those caught in the nightmare or try to divert one.
While it is noble that people of clergy can be of assistance the time involvement(sometimes up to 2 months for 1 situation)is incomprehensible...trust me I have renegotiated to date,5 people loans(perfect strangers). It was time consuming, frustrating, but rewarding only in that I knew those folks would not be displaced...Nothing to gain for me but pure peace/ joy that was my reward!No I did NOT sell their houses and was Never a party to predatory sales or predatory lending/sales combo... refused to participate! It is unrealistic to expect a Minister,Rabbi,Priest etc to have the diverse knowledge necessary to accomplish the difficult challenges they must handle. We Realtors, Attorneys,and many honest lenders have offered this "coalition" our help-Gratis(FREE) We were informed the "clergy" would handle and train to help the people in need. Somehow this does not sit right...Pastor Nunes was realistic and knew enough to accept(Gratis) help from the qualified
people in our fields....The question becomes why did not these"church leaders" allow the Gratis help offered? God Bless them is right-I truly mean that however WE ARE still waiting (3 months) for Pastor McCluster to get back to our"help team" as he told us he would...Many calls to him and his"people" and we find out ONLY by the article... By your posting-You obviously understand the gift of "discernment" as do I...Let's hope I am wrong! God Bless xoxPhyllis
Pastor Carl McCluster

Little Falls, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2008

Judged:

THE GENUINEPHYLLIS wrote:
Pastor Nunes in BPT was very instrumental in helping many. Not to sure about THIS set up looked into it..seems as though too much power play..many people had offered help and were told that Ministers,(like they have time & knowledge?) &heads of congregations would having training to help...seems hokey pokey...Got to be careful many prey on the vulnerable. The fact that very little info was given to me,despite my and several others to help,we got the runaround by Pastor Mccluster. Unlike Pastor Nunes -she has NO agenda of her own- Soemthing doesn't seem right-seems too hush hush -WHY?
How about giving me a call directly at Shiloh Baptist Church in Bridgeport (477 Broad Street) to discuss what we are doing. It is a shame to intimate that something is shady when you have not come directly to the source. Check with the more than 1,000 people who have now been helped by our efforts or the dozens of other Pastors and Ministers who are working with us. P.S. What have you done for the situation lately yourself.:)
Pastor Carl McCluster

Little Falls, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2008

Judged:

<quoted text>
I am with you,however-have to say Pastor Nunes enlisted those of us (screened carefully) with various aspects of necessary expertise, Realtors,Mortgage,Attorneys,so we may Donate our time our gifts of knowledge the gifts God gave us. We were able to help those caught in the nightmare or try to divert one.
While it is noble that people of clergy can be of assistance the time involvement(sometimes up to 2 months for 1 situation)is incomprehensible...trust me I have renegotiated to date,5 people loans(perfect strangers). It was time consuming, frustrating, but rewarding only in that I knew those folks would not be displaced...Nothing to gain for me but pure peace/ joy that was my reward!No I did NOT sell their houses and was Never a party to predatory sales or predatory lending/sales combo... refused to participate! It is unrealistic to expect a Minister,Rabbi,Priest etc to have the diverse knowledge necessary to accomplish the difficult challenges they must handle. We Realtors, Attorneys,and many honest lenders have offered this "coalition" our help-Gratis(FREE) We were informed the "clergy" would handle and train to help the people in need. Somehow this does not sit right...Pastor Nunes was realistic and knew enough to accept(Gratis) help from the qualified
people in our fields....The question becomes why did not these"church leaders" allow the Gratis help offered? God Bless them is right-I truly mean that however WE ARE still waiting (3 months) for Pastor McCluster to get back to our"help team" as he told us he would...Many calls to him and his"people" and we find out ONLY by the article... By your posting-You obviously understand the gift of "discernment" as do I...Let's hope I am wrong! God Bless xoxPhyllis
Too many of the people who have approached us wanted a "piece of the action" meaning some of the realtors and others who got frustrated that we did not 'engage' their support. There is a cadred of well trained professional counselors that support negotiating foreclosure intervention and prevention that have been certified by both HUD and CHFA (Connecticut Housing Finance Authority) We work with those agencies as the primary line of defense against the epidemic. Several of the Cities that we work with (Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport and New Haven) have initiatives where they work with the Yale Law Clinic and Connecticut Legal Aid Society to provide legal support free of charge as well. What we have decided to do, as was announced from the outset, is to 'stay in our lane' providing outreach and information and directing those who are affected to the professionals who are committed to helping as a matter of vocation and 'calling'. If others desire to get on board with those services, I suggest they contact CHFA, who can direct them to the local counseling agencies that provide support to the individual clients. Enough with the sour grapes, where were these folks when the market was rising and they were encouraging people to buy homes that they could not afford with mortgages that they knew were shady. The late breaking 'conscience' is touching.....
Pastor Carl McCluster

Little Falls, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2008

Judged:

I challenge you to openly debate the alleged 'agenda' in a public forum. As a peson who has volunteered their time to this effort, I rebuke your ascertion. I appreciate what Pastor Nunes is doing, I have spoken and prayed with her. We are seeking to address the issues with scale commensurate to the problem. If you study the magnitude of the issue (tens of thousands of foreclosures likely in Connecticut alone)I hope you can better appreciate a broader based collaborative approach necessary to respond.

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2008

Judged:

Pastor Carl McCluster wrote:
<quoted text> Too many of the people who have approached us wanted a "piece of the action" meaning some of the realtors and others who got frustrated that we did not 'engage' their support. There is a cadred of well trained professional counselors that support negotiating foreclosure intervention and prevention that have been certified by both HUD and CHFA (Connecticut Housing Finance Authority) We work with those agencies as the primary line of defense against the epidemic. Several of the Cities that we work with (Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport and New Haven) have initiatives where they work with the Yale Law Clinic and Connecticut Legal Aid Society to provide legal support free of charge as well. What we have decided to do, as was announced from the outset, is to 'stay in our lane' providing outreach and information and directing those who are affected to the professionals who are committed to helping as a matter of vocation and 'calling'. If others desire to get on board with those services, I suggest they contact CHFA, who can direct them to the local counseling agencies that provide support to the individual clients. Enough with the sour grapes, where were these folks when the market was rising and they were encouraging people to buy homes that they could not afford with mortgages that they knew were shady. The late breaking 'conscience' is touching.....
I am insulted by you un Christian like attitude and implications. This attitude furthers my concerns of your"works". These comments you are now responding to made by me in July/08, summoned a call from you to me at that time. We had a rather lengthy conversation ending with our goals-deemed mutual. In other words we were on the same page. I do not understand your current confrontational comments/attitude. Perhaps you have forgotten our conversation last JULY??
In any case I maintain my stand & will continue to rebuke anything/anyone that is NOT of God's works,God's plan. I am sorry that based upon your comments here, it is apparent you have had a change of heart. Despite the above I will pray for you and your efforts. May God Bless you,enlighten you, and may he grant you the compassion to help all of God's children in need just as Pastor Nunes, many others and I have,regardless of their race color or creed.
I have no intention to debate what is pure and simple-God's work!
TGP
SO True

Paterson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2008

Judged:

<quoted text>
I am insulted by you un Christian like attitude and implications. This attitude furthers my concerns of your"works". These comments you are now responding to made by me in July/08, summoned a call from you to me at that time. We had a rather lengthy conversation ending with our goals-deemed mutual. In other words we were on the same page. I do not understand your current confrontational comments/attitude. Perhaps you have forgotten our conversation last JULY??
In any case I maintain my stand & will continue to rebuke anything/anyone that is NOT of God's works,God's plan. I am sorry that based upon your comments here, it is apparent you have had a change of heart. Despite the above I will pray for you and your efforts. May God Bless you,enlighten you, and may he grant you the compassion to help all of God's children in need just as Pastor Nunes, many others and I have,regardless of their race color or creed.
I have no intention to debate what is pure and simple-God's work!
TGP
TGP: You have stated the bigtime truth. This so called Pastor McCuster has his own agenda is an understatement of terms! He is guiding us & others to ABCD & ACORN the same entities that got us into this predory trap from the start. Maybe you posed a threat to him & his so called helpful folks? I think so in fact I know so. Go girl shout it from the mountain, your heart & Pastor Nunes is in the right place. Bless you all-AMEN

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2008

Judged:

Pastor Carl McCluster wrote:
<quoted text> ......now been helped by our efforts or the dozens of other Pastors and Ministers who are working with us. P.S. What have you done for the situation lately yourself.:)
Um I have saved 6 peoples homes that I did not sell them. I have charged them no fee only received pure happiness I was able to accomplish what the Lord brought to me knowing I would do his work, for in my trials and tribulations the Lord has NEVER once abandoned me. Can you say the same?

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2008

Judged:

Pastor McCluster:counseling agencies that provide support to the individual clients. Enough with the sour grapes, where were these folks when the market was rising and they were encouraging people to buy homes that they could not afford with mortgages that they knew were shady. The late breaking 'conscience' is touching.....
Are you referring to you & yours? Many of us were for the past 4-1/2 years were emailing,calling, writing our legislators, concerns for the future,now present situation! WE chose NOT to participate in such activity that has created the now dreadful circumstances that could have & should have been avoided! What did you and yours do the past 4-1/2 years? For this did not happen overnight,or for that matter over the last 2 years. You did NOT have to be a rocket scientist to see what was bound to happen. Where were you then? ;-(
Sylvia Guberman

New Rochelle, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2008

Judged:

Pastor McCluster, I am very disappointed in your attitude toward a very dear friend of mine, GENUINEPHYLLIS. How can you find it in your heart as a Pastor to be so unfeeling and write such horrendous statements? Phyllis not only talks the talk as an honest Chiristian woman, but she walks the walk. It is so hard for me to believe that you don't see this for yourself. Phyllis happens to be a very devout and doesn't have a mean bone in her body. As a truly wonderful human being, she has gone out of her way for all people. Friday night over the Sabbath candles I will pray for you, Pastor, and hope you consider making atonement for some of the harsh things you have said about my dear friend. Remember a lot more can be accomplished with niceites.

By the way, the late Rev. Bill Johnson was a close friend of ours and he spent many Jewish holidays in my home. He graduated from one of the most prestigious high schools in the country in Phildadelphia, Pa. with my late husband Maury, and Bill Cosby.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2008

Judged:

SO True wrote:
<quoted text>
TGP: You have stated the bigtime truth. This so called Pastor McCuster has his own agenda is an understatement of terms! He is guiding us & others to ABCD & ACORN the same entities that got us into this predory trap from the start. Maybe you posed a threat to him & his so called helpful folks? I think so in fact I know so. Go girl shout it from the mountain, your heart & Pastor Nunes is in the right place. Bless you all-AMEN
What I don't understand is why an unregistered Topix user posting as Pastor McCuster just recently commented 3X to a thread that began back in July!
Pastor Bo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2008

Judged:

Phyliss Esposito and Sylvia Guberman....what is THIER agenda...I wonder.
Sylvia Guberman

New Rochelle, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Judged:

Pastor Bo, for your information if you are questioning the fact that Phyllis Esposito and Sylvia Guberman have an agenda. You bet your life we do. We want to only deal with people that are totally honest so if you fit this description then you are all set. You have no worries, but if you are corrupt or dishonest you have a lot to fear from both Phyllis and myself.

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Judged:

Pastor BO: All are fully aware of who you really are. You are not a pastor but instead a lost soul I pray for daily. To reply to your ridiculous comment-You are right we have an agenda! The only agenda is for the good of others. Hard as it may be for someone as yourself to believe, there are still people like us with NO self serving agenda! People that truly care for and about others. Concerned for, striving for resolve of issues that affect those other than "ourselves".
Yes my dear you are right the agenda of ours is purely straight from the heart,nothing more,nothing less. For when you are raised in the "WORD",honor & live by the "WORD" of God...the only agenda is to serve God, by helping others sometimes entailing sacrifice...Try our agenda it is far more rewarding than anything you can ever imagine xoxTGPxox

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Judged:

Pastor Bo wrote:
Phyliss Esposito and Sylvia Guberman ...
Two lay-women you shouldn't mess with, "Pastor".
Epowell

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2013

Entire World Hates Her

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2013

Oh look…. yet another person the sociopath couldn't get along with.
American Gentleman Samuel

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2013

Entire World Hates Her wrote:
Oh look…. yet another person the sociopath couldn't get along with.
I miss my friend, and her name dropping and better than you attitude.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Mortgage Forum right now

Search the Mortgage Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Man gets prison time for fraud -- OrlandoSentin... (Sep '07) 19 hr Update 30
America's First Home Goes Under (Jan '08) Tue Eagle Point Resident 113
AC Transit Chief Financial Officer Accused Of E... Mon LMAO 1
Keep your eyes open Mon TTC 1
Balloon Payment Coming Due? Apr 11 Vpp 1
For the Record Apr 11 Fed Up 2
CFLA Announces Mortgage Securitization Auditor ... Apr 11 Sheila Davis 2
•••
•••