Lenders Asked About Criteria For Foreclosure Law Firms

Full story: Hartford Courant

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal has sent letters to three of the country's largest mortgage lenders in an attempt to find out why only two law firms in the state seem to handle all of the companies' foreclosure proceedings.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of80
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jubel Foster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

If you want to see a sad scene check out short calendar in Bridgeport Superior Court. People who lost their jobs or got sick and fell behind are treated worse than criminals by these foreclosure lawyers. Even if they have the funds to catch up, the lawyers do not let them catch up because they demand thatthey pay their legal fees and those foreclosure boys charge a king's ransom. The A.G. is now onto this scam.
Smoky Alston

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

Samuel Chester, God rest his soul, is trying mighty hard to defend the indefensible. There is simply no way that you can defend two law firms that through questionable methods, obtain a monopoly on foreclosure work and then dole out the lucrative state marshal work to certain marshals, none of whom is Hispanic. And when people try to pay off their back arrearages on their mortgage and become even, these poor souls find out that the two law firms will not allow them to become current. They have to also pay exorbitant marshal fees, a minimum of $1500 in legal fees for work that is nothing more than pushing a button on a word processor and exorbitant appraisal fees when the appraiser, usually just a drive by a lazy appraiser, and then other unspecified fees. It is mousetrap for the bewildered borrower. So Sam, you are not covering yourself with glory by trying to defend this racket. And by the way, you did lose that lawsuit.
Jose Jimenez

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

Being Hispanic, I have seen what these two law firms have done to so many Hispanic people. When Attorney General Blumenthal did his lawsuit against the old Reiner, Reiner and Bendett law firm, it came out that these Reiner lawyers were steered into doing the house closings for many Hispanic people who never asked for the Reiner lawyers to represent them. The poor people just got stuck with these Reiner lawyers, like it or not. I happen to know that in many cases, Hispanic people were asked to sign reams of paperwork that they did not understand because the Reiner lawyers had few, if any, Hispanic people on their staff. And I doubt that any of the Reiner lawyers could even say "buenos dias" in Spanish, let alone explain mortgage documents. And these same two law firms would later do the foreclosures on these Hispanic people. And then when it comes to hiring Hispanic people, both the Hunt, Liebert firm and Bendett and McHugh conveniently have very few, if any, Hispanic people working for them. It is all so incredibly unfair to Hispanic people.
Cathy

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Judged:

EXACTLY - THANK YOU FOR THIS COMMENT - YOUR ARE ABSOLUTLEY RIGHT
Country Grammar wrote:
It is none of Blumenthal's business who they use. Could it be that they use these firms because they are experts at foreclosure law and have streamlined the process to keep legal fees down? Sounds like someone is jealous at the State Marshal level.
Cathy

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Judged:

WHY DON'T ALL YOU PEOPLE SHUT THE F UP.... YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT .... IT'S NOT THE LAW FIRM'S FAULT THAT YOU ARE BEING FORECLOSED!!
First and foremost

Plainville, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Judged:

Maxie Weinstein wrote:
They charge $1500.00 for "opening the file". That means if a bank sends them a letter and they open it, bingo, they get $1500.00. It is like winning the lottery. When the fellows at Bendett McHugh say they try to work with people, reach for your wallet fast. This whole scheme violates every anti-trust statute on the books. I hope the A.G. keeps after them and breaks up the monopoly.
First and foremost, I believe that Blumenthal is not only targeting Bendett and McHugh, but also Hunt Leibert. Being the TWO firms handling most of the foreclosures in CT, this would make them a duopoly, if anything. While people may believe that this is an obstruction to competition within the market, the fact is that it is ultimately the mortgagors doing the hiring- and these firms are hired for a reason, they are the best. Would you choose not to purchase Pepsi simply because it is one half of the Pepsi/Coke duopoly? Would you choose not to use Visa for the same reason? No- being consumers themselves the banks want the best they can get. Their goal is to collect the debt of the borrowers, why wouldn't they hire the most qualified firms to complete that job?

Nothing that is going on here is illegal- what is going on though is pointless accusations which all boil down to people who are trying to find someone to blame for the credit crisis. Well guess what, this is not the industry to be looking in to. These attorneys are serving a function within our crumbling economy and while they may be assisting in what everyone considers 'evil' foreclosures, it is not their fault that the foreclosures are happening in the first place.

Blame the banks, blame the borrowers, leave the third parties to their jobs.
Jubel Foster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Judged:

There are many law firms that can do a better job than these two for a much smaller fee. Foreclosure work is 99% boilerplate. It does not take a Clarence Darrow to file a routine motion to disclose defenses. In Bridgeport Superior Court the foreclosure boys file the exact same writ in every case but they charge for each one as if it has taken hours to prepare. The young lawyers from these firms are usually embarassed about what the partners make them do. They take away homes from laid off employees or elderly people who were bamboozled into signing adjustable rate loans. I don't know how the partners at these firms can sleep at night. Do they really need the money this much?
Sid King

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

Jubel Foster wrote:
There are many law firms that can do a better job than these two for a much smaller fee. Foreclosure work is 99% boilerplate. It does not take a Clarence Darrow to file a routine motion to disclose defenses. In Bridgeport Superior Court the foreclosure boys file the exact same writ in every case but they charge for each one as if it has taken hours to prepare. The young lawyers from these firms are usually embarassed about what the partners make them do. They take away homes from laid off employees or elderly people who were bamboozled into signing adjustable rate loans. I don't know how the partners at these firms can sleep at night. Do they really need the money this much?
It is obvious that you are an attorney, and probably an unsuccessful one at that, who is seething with jealousy over the success of these two firms. You would trade your practice for one of their's in a heartbeat!
iknow

Plainville, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

You are absolutely wrong.... prove it, if you know so much, you have no clue..... take a look at all the attorneys who do foreclosure actions and the fees are all the same. I should know, I have been working in this field for 20 years. You have no idea of what you are saying.
Jubel Foster wrote:
Howard Sprague

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

Sid and Sam seem to share alot of the same views. I am guessing that they know each other rather well. Sid and Sam, if you are such a wonderful lawyer as you say you are, how do you explain why you lost the big case? I mean, you did lose that lawsuit and lost it bigtime. So my dear Sid and Sam, don't go around saying that you are a master trial lawyer or whatever you guys call it, litigation attorney, whatever.
Parangi Singh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Judged:

It is absurd to think that only Bendett and McHugh and Hunt, Liebert are the only two law firms in Ct. skilled enough to do the routine, deadly dull work that is known as foreclosures. Most of this work is done by poorly paid paralegals anyway. It is a very lucrative legal practice to be able to have most of the work done by low paid paralegals while the banks pay at lawyer fee rates. The people who suffer from this are the poor unfortunate homeowners who might work 16 hours a day folding laundry to become current in their mortgages. When the poor souls think that they have become current, they find out their nickels and dimes they have scraped away for are no help. If they don't also pay Bendett & McHugh or Hunt, Liebert very substantial legal fees and "costs", then the customers quickly learn that the state marshal is going to show up again and this time it is to physically throw them out of their own homes. And yep, you probably guessed it. The marshal who will show up is the same guy that makes a million bucks a year. The whole rotten system needs overhaul. What is going on in the foreclosure legal market in Ct. is what went on for far too long in the garbage hauling industry. A handful of haulers in each state were allowed all the business. The haulers then carved up areas, agreed with one another on minimum and maximum fees and stifled competition. And it is worse in the legal world where FANNIE MAE and FREDDIE MAC, both staffed by politicians on the make, are easy prey. I can why the handful of supporters of the current system, get so riled up when I and so many others have exposed them. They have a good thing going for many, many years. And now there is a consumer revolt going on. And guys like Sam and Sid on this forum cling to the old ways, fighting reform tooth and nail. In their hearts of hearts, I truly believe that they know what they are doing is not morally right. Yes, Sid King may be right that what he does is technically legal. But is what you want your legacy to be?
RC Stevens

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Judged:

Parangi Singh wrote:
It is absurd to think that only Bendett and McHugh and Hunt, Liebert are the only two law firms in Ct. skilled enough to do the routine, deadly dull work that is known as foreclosures. Most of this work is done by poorly paid paralegals anyway. It is a very lucrative legal practice to be able to have most of the work done by low paid paralegals while the banks pay at lawyer fee rates. The people who suffer from this are the poor unfortunate homeowners who might work 16 hours a day folding laundry to become current in their mortgages. When the poor souls think that they have become current, they find out their nickels and dimes they have scraped away for are no help. If they don't also pay Bendett & McHugh or Hunt, Liebert very substantial legal fees and "costs", then the customers quickly learn that the state marshal is going to show up again and this time it is to physically throw them out of their own homes. And yep, you probably guessed it. The marshal who will show up is the same guy that makes a million bucks a year. The whole rotten system needs overhaul. What is going on in the foreclosure legal market in Ct. is what went on for far too long in the garbage hauling industry. A handful of haulers in each state were allowed all the business. The haulers then carved up areas, agreed with one another on minimum and maximum fees and stifled competition. And it is worse in the legal world where FANNIE MAE and FREDDIE MAC, both staffed by politicians on the make, are easy prey. I can why the handful of supporters of the current system, get so riled up when I and so many others have exposed them. They have a good thing going for many, many years. And now there is a consumer revolt going on. And guys like Sam and Sid on this forum cling to the old ways, fighting reform tooth and nail. In their hearts of hearts, I truly believe that they know what they are doing is not morally right. Yes, Sid King may be right that what he does is technically legal. But is what you want your legacy to be?
Poorly paid paralegals? What have you been smoking? Some of those "poorly paid" paralegals are earning over $100,000 a year. Meanwhile, for all your griping, those firms employ over 300 people. You want to give them 300 jobs? Do have an alternative for them? Get real. The law firms are not the problem. Would you like to invest $100,000 in infrastructure and technology to compete with them? Guesss not. The lenders and brokers, making adjustable rate mortgage loans in anticipation of constantly rising property values, are the culprits. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, you haven't exposed anything.
Jubel Foster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Judged:

If you want to see these firms in action check out Bridgeport short calendar. It is not a pretty sight. They demand attorney fees that are soexcessive nobody can ever catch up. Even when the people have enough money to get current, theyare not allowed to get current. The fees for processing some boiler plate mumbo jumbo run into the thousands. You will see veterans of World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq being subject to strict foreclosure. These men shed their blood for the country and this is the thanks they get. Instead of thanking these veterans they foreclose them. What a disgrace.
Jethro Bodine

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Judged:

This article is a sickening but true account about how two obscure law firms, straight out of a John Grisham novel, have amassed vast power over peoples' lives while remaining accountable to noone. If Mr. Grisham wrote a novel about the goings on at Hunt, Liebert and Bendett, McHugh, people would simply believe that it was Mr. Grisham's imagination at work again and it couldn't possibly happen. Yet it did happen and in Connecticut, not Mississippi.
The tale of secret influence of these two law firms is an Orwellian nightmare.
RC Stevens

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Jubel Foster wrote:
If you want to see these firms in action check out Bridgeport short calendar. It is not a pretty sight. They demand attorney fees that are soexcessive nobody can ever catch up. Even when the people have enough money to get current, theyare not allowed to get current. The fees for processing some boiler plate mumbo jumbo run into the thousands. You will see veterans of World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq being subject to strict foreclosure. These men shed their blood for the country and this is the thanks they get. Instead of thanking these veterans they foreclose them. What a disgrace.
Put your lawyer pants on since you seem to be the self-styled expert on the foreclosure calendar in Bridgeport and name a single case where the borrowers had the funds to reinstate and were not allowed to by the Plaintiff...or in your examples, the law firm. Back up your silly allegation with some facts, cases, docket numbers. Bet you can't do that either. So continue to hide behind your anonymous ridiculous name like the gutless coward you are and take cheap, false pot shots at these firms whom you sem to blame for entire mortgage crisis. At least have the guts to identify yourself. To me, anyone who writes these anonymous, malicious comments without identification has no credibilty whatsoever. All you have is either jealousy, a personal grudge against a firm, or another personal agenda.
Jubel Foster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

It's taken some time but the judges are now on to thescheme the foreclosure boys pull at short calendar. The foreclosure boys routinely file a bill of costs filled so much blarney it would shame a carnival barker. They ask for 500 bucks for a five minute drive by appraisal.They ask for 250 bucks for a title search that takes all of five minues because they only have to go back to the mortgage. And as for the attorney fees, mamma mia! They ask for several thousand dollars. when all they have done is go to the word processor and hit the print button. When the judge asked for time sheets the foreclosure boys clammed up like a 13 year old boy who got caught looking at dad's playboy collection in the basement.
Parangi Singh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Oh please Sid/Sam. I exposed everything that is going on in this rotten foreclosure law firm business and you tell me that I didn't expose any wrongdoing. Heck, I should be given a Pulitzer Prize.
Stealth

New Brunswick, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Parangi Singh wrote:
Oh please Sid/Sam. I exposed everything that is going on in this rotten foreclosure law firm business and you tell me that I didn't expose any wrongdoing. Heck, I should be given a Pulitzer Prize.
What did you expose in all your brilliance? You exposed absolutely nothing. Pulitzer Prize for what? complete Iiiocy? You have my vote for that
Stealth

New Brunswick, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Parangi Singh wrote:
idiocy
Parangi Singh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

So it turns out that Sid/Sam now has a sattelite office in Merrick, NY? There is an old saying: "You can tell how sacred a cow is by how loud it bellows". And that sure applies to the two law firms that I have exposed for having a near monopoly on foreclosure work in Ct., courtesy of their cozy and questionable relationship with FANNIE MAE and FREDDIE MAC. We all know what FANNI MAE was like under the sterling leadership of Franklin Raines.
The two firm monopoly in Ct. sounds like the shared territory agreement that shady garbage haulers have used for years. They divide up the turf, and then their fees are just coincidentally the same. And of course the consumers are the victims of these shenanigans.
My posts on this forum have exposed, once and for all, the rotten barrel of apples that has existed in Ct. for so many years. I should win the Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting and I am sure Connecticut homeowners appreciate the work that I have done in their behalf. People should be comparing me to Edward R. Murrow.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of80
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mortgage Discussions

Search the Mortgage Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
High home prices in New Zealand causing anxiety (Aug '12) 4 hr Gatvol 6
Man gets prison time for fraud -- OrlandoSentin... (Sep '07) Apr 15 Update 30
America's First Home Goes Under (Jan '08) Apr 15 Eagle Point Resident 113
AC Transit Chief Financial Officer Accused Of E... Apr 14 LMAO 1
Keep your eyes open Apr 14 TTC 1
Balloon Payment Coming Due? Apr 11 Vpp 1
For the Record Apr 11 Fed Up 2
•••
•••