Average cost to raise a child hits $2...

Average cost to raise a child hits $245,000

There are 7 comments on the TheBostonChannel.com story from Aug 18, 2014, titled Average cost to raise a child hits $245,000. In it, TheBostonChannel.com reports that:

New parents be warned: It could cost nearly a quarter of a million dollars to raise your child -- and that's not even including the cost of college.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TheBostonChannel.com.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#1 Aug 18, 2014
$245K would be the parents cost. When the government pays someone to raise a child, the cost would be around $1.3M
Justin

United States

#2 Aug 18, 2014
That must be something like the government's suggested retail price, because there are a lot of folks earning less than $40,000 a year who somehow manage to raise several normal kids.
Pessimism Doubled

Beverly, MA

#3 Aug 18, 2014
People are stupid. They keep having kids even though they clearly cannot do so responsibly.

Whether or not they have the money, most do not have the time. Why have them if then you have to turn around and send them to Daycare? How is that being a family?

The most that the average middle class citizen should have is one and yet, they must have two and the really crazy ones have 3 or 4.

Then have the utter gall to complain to those of us who chose to have none that their lives are so difficult.

And I would prefer that if you have a brood of three or more, just stay home. Do not bring them out in public to play out the sibling rivalry and discipline drama for the rest of us to endure.

If I wanted to experience constant fighting, I could stay home and watch reality TV or go to the Middle East. I have no desire to experience any of that.

If you need to breed, do so at home and keep the litter at home until they are civilized enough to venture out into the world and act like reasonable humans.

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#4 Aug 18, 2014
Pessimism Doubled wrote:
People are stupid. They keep having kids even though they clearly cannot do so responsibly.
Whether or not they have the money, most do not have the time. Why have them if then you have to turn around and send them to Daycare? How is that being a family?
The most that the average middle class citizen should have is one and yet, they must have two and the really crazy ones have 3 or 4.
Then have the utter gall to complain to those of us who chose to have none that their lives are so difficult.
And I would prefer that if you have a brood of three or more, just stay home. Do not bring them out in public to play out the sibling rivalry and discipline drama for the rest of us to endure.
If I wanted to experience constant fighting, I could stay home and watch reality TV or go to the Middle East. I have no desire to experience any of that.
If you need to breed, do so at home and keep the litter at home until they are civilized enough to venture out into the world and act like reasonable humans.
Your parents should demand a refund.
theidiotsareunit ed

Seattle, WA

#5 Aug 18, 2014
cost of raising a child is $10,000,000.00. that's how much the child needs to survive and support the family in 30 years.

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#6 Aug 18, 2014
A child born today in America is already over $55000 in debt.
That debt increases by at least $2500 each year.
So, that same child will owe about half that $245000 by the time he/she reaches the age of majority. If that child becomes a parent, the two parents together will owe $245000 themselves and their child will owe another $100,000 or more.
So, that $245000 cost to raise a child does not even equal the debt that child and her/his parents have incurred just by being born an American!
Justin

United States

#7 Aug 19, 2014
SirPrize wrote:
A child born today in America is already over $55000 in debt.
That debt increases by at least $2500 each year.
So, that same child will owe about half that $245000 by the time he/she reaches the age of majority. If that child becomes a parent, the two parents together will owe $245000 themselves and their child will owe another $100,000 or more.
So, that $245000 cost to raise a child does not even equal the debt that child and her/his parents have incurred just by being born an American!
Fortunately the federal government's ability to rally enough votes in Congress to raise the debt ceiling is getting harder and harder each year. Unfortunately it's not hard enough.
I hate to say it but: God bless and preserve gridlock. What is the alternative?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mortgage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Over one million UK homeowners on wrong mortgag... Mar 24 Ted Haggard s Gos... 5
News Foreclosures leave painful ripple effect (Oct '07) Mar 18 brenttimmons 573
News How to buy a house Mar 13 SBaer 3
Outreach Housing LLC & Blair Wright (Oct '08) Mar 10 Final Judgment De... 237
News Legislators hit nails on the head Mar 9 Duke defender 1
News Rock Financial's David Hall Leaves Lender (Dec '07) Mar 7 WATCHING LIVONIA 33
News Exposed: How government funds radical leftists ... Mar 5 Texxy the Indepen... 1
More from around the web