Indian Act, racist relic of 1876, sho...

Indian Act, racist relic of 1876, should be abolished - and so should reserves

There are 2 comments on the Canada.com story from Jan 6, 2013, titled Indian Act, racist relic of 1876, should be abolished - and so should reserves. In it, Canada.com reports that:

When will Canadians, led by the country's one million Aboriginal People, face the inescapable? Reserves are incubators of misery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canada.com.

Anne

Mississauga, Canada

#1 Jan 6, 2013

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#2 Jan 6, 2013
It's not so much Canadians as it is the First Nations. The govt has tried to abolish the Indian Act in the past but enough FN chiefs wanted no part of it.
It's sad to say but there are more than a couple of cases where the Chiefs and elders of various reserves are little more than feudal lords.
But there's no question that others are reasonable successes. Some are lucky enough to be around plentiful resources and adequate roads, allowing them to have an economy like any other town would have. The bands own businesses and small industries, their people are employed in higher numbers than other reserves, in some cases much higher numbers. They have money and the skills to fix small things before they become major problems.

But they are the lucky few in reality. While none of them will likely die rich, they do alright and will likely continue to do so as long as future chiefs and elders remain as honourable and honest as their current leaders.

I also know for a fact there's at least one reserve where if the residents leave to live in the city, they are NOT welcome back to live on the reserve UNLESS they left for schooling or gainful employment.

Unfortunately, this isn't a one-sided issue. It's not something we can all point at the govt and say it's all their fault. Nor can we just blame the FN people.
Hopefully this gets resolved one way or another because the sad truth is, in 21st century Canada there's no reason why any of its citizens should be forced to live in such squalid conditions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mortgage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Decomposing Body Found In Foreclosed NoHo Home (Dec '08) Jun 25 hood-cats 8
News Ryan presents plan for a largest corporate tax ... Jun 24 Atlas sans Balls 2
News `I like helping people' (Aug '07) Jun 21 FuckIt 314
News End of legislative session laws a " Zombie Prop... Jun 18 Mos-A 1
News Syndicate mortgages: Solid returns for fixed terms Jun 18 cop fooled 2 1
News Windermere family, 3 others face racketeering c... (Dec '08) Jun 17 Eddie 56
News Distinctive Home Builders, Ltd. Offers Best New... (Mar '13) Jun 17 Prairie Trails Lot 34
More from around the web