Landmark Effort Diner up for sale fol...

Landmark Effort Diner up for sale following foreclosure

There are 12 comments on the Pocono Record story from Oct 24, 2007, titled Landmark Effort Diner up for sale following foreclosure. In it, Pocono Record reports that:

“There have been several potential buyers and a lot of interest to keep it a diner.”

A landmark West End diner is for sale after mortgage foreclosure forced it closed and sold at auction in September. via Pocono Record

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pocono Record.

in the know

Stroudsburg, PA

#1 May 20, 2008
I have known about this diners problems for over 10 years. It was poor management, tripping over a dollar to save a dime, letting the lunatics run the asylum, and buying car parts for junk cars that sat all over rather than buying stock. They were always "out" of certain foods. Many times I myself saw the children dipping into the cash register taking money to run across the street to buy junk food. You can't run a business with such things going on. The honest people who worked hard and tried to hold the place together and keep the loyal customers coming in were always the first to go or be suspected of stealing. It's a shame that a $200.00+ car part could be accepted COD for a car that was trashed a week later but there wasn't any money to buy smoked sausage. And what about their best seller the apple dumplings? She was to busy chasing him around cause he was a cheat.(even had his girlfriend at diner while the wife was at home with children) What are they doing now? She's working full time and his lazy butt is still sitting at home cause he's to lazy to even go to the job interviews that OTHER people tried to set up for him. End of Story.
also in the know

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Sep 3, 2008
My mother worked here for nearly 20 years and I myself worked two summers when I was young. I unfortunately can attest to many of the things said above. It really is unfortunate; staff came and went, but there were some people who worked there for years, or visited day in and day out until the day they died.

Yes, the apple dumplings were great; too good to keep in stock. People would come in and if they actually did have them order half a dozen. They are time consuming to make, when you're trying to balance a diner that's falling apart along with a personal life that is falling apart, I guess it becomes unclear what the real priorities are.

Not trying to make excuses, just sad that a large part of my childhood is gone. But then I think of all the frustration it has caused my family personally...Bittersweet.

Sussex, NJ

#3 Feb 28, 2009
i worked at the diner for their last few years and this is total bulshit it was a family place they made me feel like i was thier son. they did have a lot of cars but few of them were junk and they didnt sit all over. the boss man never ran around ther was one other woman that he would call to talk about his problems once in a blue moon. and as for tham always being out of food you try buying cases and cases of food a week only pulling in 200-400 dollars a day!!! and as for the appel dumplings they made them one day two days after they would all be gone. i dont regret being part of their huge family.

Sussex, NJ

#4 Feb 28, 2009
your just bitter so go f@#% off!!
bob deibert

Rexmont, PA

#5 Mar 22, 2009
It is a real shame..This diner is a part of history..I am 63 years old & frequented this diner since i was 16..I can well remember the original owner Harold Everett and all the original people who worked was a wonderful place to stop and hunting season it was jammed with hunters....When the New York people took over the Poconos, it too fell apart with all their rif-raf...They ruined everything that was so special in this area...Ohh well, such is greed & progress.....
John Hopkins Sun Valley

Henryville, PA

#6 Oct 20, 2010
I moved up here over 20 years ago from NJ.
Sun Valley.
My 2 daughters grew up knowing the short order
cook whose name was Chuck. A long haired guy
in a ponytail who always had time to give
my daughters, my wife and myself a special
greeting when we dined there.
Chuck, I'm sure you know who I am if you read this.

I remember the antique wooden tube radio
behind the counter. The OLD jukebox.
country artifacts all over the place.

I've heard the place has septic problems.
Maybe others as well.
Anybody know ??

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 May 5, 2011
I spent my summers there as a kid and often frequented the diner with my grandparents, they had a fruit orchard called Cassia Hill orchard, does anyone remember this?

Seattle, WA

#8 Aug 12, 2011
This was my aunt Elva and uncle Harold's place. I'm so sad to hear that the "new" owners lost it and that it is closed.

Willingboro, NJ

#9 Oct 18, 2011
I went to the Effort Diner as a kid with my parents. It was a long ride to get there, because their vacation cabin was in Long Pond. Fond memories. Sad to see it close.
Friend of the last owner

United States

#10 Jan 6, 2012
Most all of the statements here are correct. Mark was more concerned about his girlfriend than the dinner and his family. When his Mom passed then things really went down the toilet because he had no one to bail his skinny ass out. Mark's mother Grace, God Bless her was the only reason that placed stayed open as long as it did because Mark sucked every cent he could out of her. He used to own a little bit of land where he had a trailor but he had that so screwed up he lost that. Everytime he would try to leave Terri she would end up knocked up and her time working was her watching what Mark did. There were alot of people besides the owners who had their hands in the till but its water over the dam now that the place is closed down. Yes there are septic problems there and as the locals are aware the new owner is using the place for storage. It's a shame because Mark and Terri had a damn good business there when they took over but they just left it fall apart because other things were more important. The crap about the cars is so true and the fact that they used to lease 2 and 3 vehicles at a time when they lived less than fifty feet from the back door of the dinner. The money brought in was so poorly managed it was sad. Oh yes and the fact that Mark thought he was "Elvis" reincarnated didn't help with anything. I'm sure thaty is the only reason he and Terri are still together is because he is sitting on his ass doing nothing and she is working her ass off to support the load of kids that they had. Sad part is yes I am related to them so i know this sad story all to well but hey you can't pick your family..... Disgusted just as i was while i watched it all go on....
Hobo Bret dodger bum

Englewood, CO

#11 Sep 7, 2012
My grandpa lived down the road, he's the guy who built the lake and owned all that land. I don't recall going there to that diner, but my family did a lot. It should be in a movie or something called, "effort". It's all about "effort" you bums..errr, sorry; I'm the bum. It's all about effort you bum! that's what my family used to say to me! Dodger Bum!

Morristown, NJ

#12 Feb 2, 2016
Family used to go to this diner yrs. ago as we would drive back from visiting PA relatives. Sad, hope good and caring new owners would take it over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mortgage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Where do real estate agents spend their adverti... Mon Proofread 1
News Suburban investor charged with bank fraud Mon MOSAIC sinkholes 28
News W.L. family shares struggle to survive (Mar '09) Mon skeletons in her ... 22
News Class-action lawsuit is latest woe for IndyMac (Jun '08) Oct 22 Skullymander 74
News Toronto home prices still soaring, but the subu... Oct 21 Don Peet By-By Line 3
News City is a frozena indeed Oct 20 George Sulzbach 5
News Bank of America Says Obama's Refinancing-Plan D... (Dec '11) Oct 20 The Negro Cheever... 13
More from around the web