Summer Jobs: Tips for Teens on Who's Hiring and How to Land Gre...

By Grayson Kamm First Coast News JACKSONVILLE, FL -- We're helping teenagers earn something, and maybe even learn something, by finding a summer job over their mid-year break. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#142 Jun 10, 2009
Holly wrote:
In California and many other states, it is really hard to find a job as a minor. I am thirteen and am still in the midst of my search for a summer job. For anyone who asks, it is not my parents who want me to get involved with working, it is me. I want to work and get paid, whether it is minimum wage or not, because I am trying to take more responsabilities. Not only that, but I am also saving money for college. I know I am young, but it does not hurt to try. Birthday and holiday money is not enough. Normally I am expected to use up all of my money before my parents by me things, besides food and other needed materials, and yes that is how it normall works with most kids. Unfortunatelly, I would like to get myself something nice once in a while and still have money to put into my account. I normally never spend my money. I usually save it. But it would be nice if I could spend my birthday money, like I do most of the time, but still earn my own money and save it. When I earn my money I tend to value it a lot more. Money is money, yes. But when you work for it, it has a lot more value. I would baby sit, but I do not know many people to baby sit for, and they usually do not need one. I would walk dogs, but I do not know many people that would allow me to walk their dog when they do it themselves. Maybe it they walk their dogs themselves for "quality time" purposes. I do too. All I know is that it would be nice to apply for a job, get an inteview, and work regular hours for a regular wage. I would enjoy the experience and learn to appreciate my money more.
Get a lawnmower and cut grass. Good money, get a tan, go to the pool in the afternoon.
brianna

Melbourne, FL

#143 Jun 11, 2009
om 13yrs old and im looking for a summer job like cleaing houses or babysitting

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#144 Jun 12, 2009
brianna wrote:
om 13yrs old and im looking for a summer job like cleaing houses or babysitting
Post a note on your church bulletin board that you want to babysit.
brittany

Houston, TX

#145 Jul 21, 2009
im 13 years old and i love working i like to baby sit are clean house are walk dogs in a dog park you have to live in houston
Alexis Harley

AOL

#146 Aug 24, 2009
i feel that 13 year olds should have the opprotunity to be eligible to apply for a summer job because me personally i cant get a cellphone,( something i truly need) or that many new clothes because my mother works two jobs (often in one day) and she also has bills to pay so i feel that allowing teens to apply for summer jobs could improve independency & how responsible they are and in the future help them know how to handle money.
felecha peterson

Jacksonville, FL

#147 Mar 24, 2010
see we are all trying to get jobs. i am 17 years old and i have filled out so many job applications. i stay in jacksonville florida. im an 11th grader, and i have school that i have to pay for including books i have to pay for. and its like no one is looking for any teens to work for them. ive tried everything, i call almost every day checking on job applications, but nothing is working....
hopelessinFL

United States

#148 Apr 29, 2010
For the past couple of weeks I've been calling places and asking if they would hire a 14 year old. Everyone that I've called told me to wait a year or two. It is not like I'm a bad kid, I have straight A's, polite, hard working. It's so not fair. I NEED SOMETHING TO DO FOR THE SUMMER!!!!!!!!
jamesha

Largo, FL

#149 May 10, 2010
I Knw Thats Rite.!! Im 14 && NEEEEd A SUMMMER JOOOBBB.!!!
iWriteit

Indianapolis, IN

#150 May 15, 2010
KEEUNNA PAYTON wrote:
I THINK THAT YOU ALL SHOULD ALLOW AGES 13-21 TO BE ABLE TO WORK BECAUSE 16 YEARS OF AGE ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES THAT WANT TO WORK YOU HAVE 13 YEAR OLDS LIKE ME THAT WANT TO WORK SO I WANT HANG AROUND THE WRONG CROWD AND MAYBE WORK PARTIME FOR ABOUT MAYBE 5-6 DOLLARS AN HOUR SO IF YOU AGREE PLEASE RESPOND TO MY POST OR CAN YOU PUT IT ON FIRST COAST NEWS
I totally agree. I'm thirteen and I NEED more money!
molita nelson

United States

#151 May 23, 2010
i am a 14 year old girl i live in rochester new york i can be a babysitter because i love kids and i can be a secatory because i can type fast and i am responsible and respectful. Thank you very much onky the jobs in rochester new york 14611.
brayjax

Jacksonville, FL

#153 Jun 30, 2010
Tottally agree with every post on this page!!!!!!!!!!
Carolin

Jacksonville, FL

#154 Aug 10, 2010
Im a 13 year old Female and I need some extra money around too. It's not like 16 year olds are the only people who need money..
If you need to hire someone, Im good with kids and I could babysit or work at a nursery, anything I can do if I set my mind to it.
My email is; Belarussiangurl97@hotmail.com
pierre grant

Hollywood, FL

#155 Jul 19, 2011
i know how you guys feel. most kids dont get allowence because parents are always saying "get your own money" which is stupid because is was them who passed the dumb child labor laws so we legally couldnt "make our own money"
Aly

Miamisburg, OH

#156 Nov 28, 2011
You all need to get in contact with your city council. I volunteer at Parks and recreation., Robyn's nest, and im thinking of volunteering at our local humane society there is alot you can to to get involved around your community. You will not get paid for it but you will gain experiance in the field at least o and i am also thinking about volunteering at our local nursing home. VOLUNTEER they need all the help they can get!
CookieMonsterKay la

Ponte Vedra, FL

#157 Jan 27, 2012
I'm 13!! I really need a job, too. I need the money, and working over the summer wouldn't be so bad. I just want a real job like working in a store or as a camp counselor or something, I'm tired of all these stupid "Mowing Lawns" and "Dog Walking" crap. In my town, doing this would be really inappropriate and out of place.:D
freewheelin bob dylan

Jacksonville, FL

#158 Jan 27, 2012
CookieMonsterKayla wrote:
I'm 13!! I really need a job, too. I need the money, and working over the summer wouldn't be so bad. I just want a real job like working in a store or as a camp counselor or something, I'm tired of all these stupid "Mowing Lawns" and "Dog Walking" crap. In my town, doing this would be really inappropriate and out of place.:D
i know how you feel. i was 15 when i needed to start working, and luckily founf somone in the resturaunt industry who gave me a hufe break. he made me a busser. i am 20 now and i work as a server, wher eyou make commision and control your own money. its a great job to help you get through school and have some extra spending cash. here is one place i recomend: beach hut cafe at the beach. make sure you tell them you want to bus tables. they will probably start you out in dishes but if you work hard and keep reminding them you want to bus they will eventually promote you. tell any job you apply for that you would like to work front of house. the fact that you are young now might help you if you show ambition. dont get discouraged by how many people tell you they arent hiring,,its part of our generation and all in the season. check places often. good luck in your job search.
Teahjanae Brooks

New York, NY

#159 Feb 3, 2012
I agree, i am 13 yrs old looking for a job! I use to babysit my little brother for at least 5 hours a day. I car washed,lawn mowed,I did everything to earn money. I mean why shouldn't 13 yr olds work , if 14 or 15 yr olds work? i just don't see the reason why not!

If anyone out see a possibility of me babysitting or doing anything please contact me at: brooksteahjanae@aol.com or teahjanaebrooks@yahoo.com.

If any one out there my age sees this comment below and put my name under your comment please!
Teahjanae Brooks

New York, NY

#160 Feb 3, 2012
Trill Goon wrote:
i dont agree with yall little kids i think 16 year old and up should yall are to young and immature so that is what i think i am 17 year old and i do not want to work with little 13 year olds that would be playing hide and go seek while working
I dOn't agree with you not all 13 yr olds are immature, because im not. I take geting a job a big responsibility! I really need a job and I'm not foolish, neither do I dont play around. Everyone in my family tell I'm too mature for my age and I act like im 15 or 16. and you cant judge someone by its cover.
teahjanae brooks

Brooklyn, NY

#163 Jan 5, 2013
Teahjanae Brooks wrote:
<quoted text>
I dOn't agree with you not all 13 yr olds are immature, because im not. I take geting a job a big responsibility! I really need a job and I'm not foolish, neither do I dont play around. Everyone in my family tell I'm too mature for my age and I act like im 15 or 16. and you cant judge someone by its cover.
I don't agree I'm very mature everyone tells! I don't associate with people my age because they're very immature ! I agree some are immature!- I don't like drama or anything associated with it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mortgage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For sale' sign outside UMass Amherst Holocaust ... 9 hr Steve Ruell 1
Western Massachusetts Labor Action continues it... (Jun '08) 21 hr Aderas 45
Illegal Aliens Search to Find Ways to Prove Res... Wed spytheweb 1
Russia's crisis hurts middle classes Tue RUSSIA has LOST 2
Foreclosure for more than 16,000 statewide (Oct '08) Dec 23 JStone 50
Immigrants build document trails to remain in US Dec 22 wild child 5
What Wall Street won in budget deal Dec 22 john4535 4
More from around the web