Summer Jobs: Tips for Teens on Who's Hiring and How to Land Gre...

Full story: First Coast News Jacksonville

By Grayson Kamm First Coast News JACKSONVILLE, FL -- We're helping teenagers earn something, and maybe even learn something, by finding a summer job over their mid-year break.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of159
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
KEEUNNA PAYTON

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2007

Judged:

I THINK THAT YOU ALL SHOULD ALLOW AGES 13-21 TO BE ABLE TO WORK BECAUSE 16 YEARS OF AGE ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES THAT WANT TO WORK YOU HAVE 13 YEAR OLDS LIKE ME THAT WANT TO WORK SO I WANT HANG AROUND THE WRONG CROWD AND MAYBE WORK PARTIME FOR ABOUT MAYBE 5-6 DOLLARS AN HOUR SO IF YOU AGREE PLEASE RESPOND TO MY POST OR CAN YOU PUT IT ON FIRST COAST NEWS
Itza Cazares

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2007

Judged:

I agree with this statement. Not only sixteen year olds want or need to work because they need the money. I am thirteen years old and I am looking for a summer job to volunteer at least. They should at least allow thirteen year olds to help volunteering in the Animal Shelters of their community.

~Itza Cazares
LLB

Casar, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2007

Judged:

I agree too. I am a hard-working 14 year old male. I am very smart. I stay on the A/B honor at school, which is a low-income school in Jacksonville,Florida.I really want to experience the working conditions.I kind of think it's not fair. I especially really want the job during the summer time to occupy myself so I want get in the nonsense in streets.
Hmm

Daytona Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2007

Judged:

I think most employers are simply reluctant to hire on kids under 16. In reality, most management is reluctant to hire many kids still in college. You mix a kid who wants to earn some fun money along with a job that they don't really care about and you'll be left with a kid calling in 'sick' all the time or just not showing up. I've been in management before and I've been left too short handed too many times because the people working simply don't need to work. It's when you have to support yourself and/or someone else that you'll have a good worker. I know there are some of those that are younger that will stick to their job and I commend those, but unfortunately all those other kids who can't do their job ruin it for those who will.

As far as what Keeunna Payton said in regards to not wanting to hang out with the wrong crowd, if you don't want to associate with the 'bad kids' in the first place you won't. Using a job as an excuse not to do that shows that you're most likely not ready to work.

But I do agree with Itza Cazares, let the youth volunteer in the community. Let them learn the value of hard work and staying committed to something. And if they do well, reward them with something. Either money or a trip to an amusement park or something along those lines.

For those who are hard working, hang in there. Yes it's not fair that you should be denied something because of others, but if you really are the way you say you are, then others will see it and your break will come.
J Grondz

Coraopolis, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2007

If you are looking for some volunteer work, then check out your local church. You'll be amazed at how much help they can use.
In fact, my church in Pgh, offers youth credits (money for church events) for those students who volunteer.
If you truely would like to help somewhere, a church is the right place to go. Odds are you won't get shot down and you will make a difference in your neighborhood.
Hmm

Daytona Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2007

J Grondz wrote:
If you are looking for some volunteer work, then check out your local church. You'll be amazed at how much help they can use.
In fact, my church in Pgh, offers youth credits (money for church events) for those students who volunteer.
If you truely would like to help somewhere, a church is the right place to go. Odds are you won't get shot down and you will make a difference in your neighborhood.
Bingo! A lot of churches will do the same, meaning if you help out at events, you earn portions of the proceeds to go on trips with them. And if church isn't your cup of tea, then contact your local Chamber of Commerce. They can help you find businesses and other organizations that will help you find things to do.
Tina

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2007

True, I'm 13 and am still looking for a summer job and need one at least starting this week. I'm experienced with animals and children and anyone that needs someone as a babysitter or dog walker, Please let me know if you live in the Greece, Ny. Email: cutie7460@yahoo.com
deniesh

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2007

i really need at job and i am only 13 year old what can I do to find a good paying job
raw

George Town, Cayman Islands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

i think 13 year old need to get jobs so they can make money so don't have to ask there parents erey second
summerjob hire

Palos Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

KEEUNNA PAYTON wrote:
I THINK THAT YOU ALL SHOULD ALLOW AGES 13-21 TO BE ABLE TO WORK BECAUSE 16 YEARS OF AGE ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES THAT WANT TO WORK YOU HAVE 13 YEAR OLDS LIKE ME THAT WANT TO WORK SO I WANT HANG AROUND THE WRONG CROWD AND MAYBE WORK PARTIME FOR ABOUT MAYBE 5-6 DOLLARS AN HOUR SO IF YOU AGREE PLEASE RESPOND TO MY POST OR CAN YOU PUT IT ON FIRST COAST NEWS
yes i have a job for u can contect me at 1708-430-55-05 ill pay you7-8 dollors per hour ur job can be anything you want it to be
Annie in Seattle

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2007

I'm looking for some yard help. My business has been too busy to get some maintainence done - now I've tone a muscle in my calf. This is perfect summer work for someone 10-16, but how do I find them??? craigslist charges $25 to post any job.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Annie in Seattle

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2007

I meant "torn" muscle....
patrick from dayton ohio

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2007

i am 14 and need a job contact me 937ryder@gmail.com
Jo-Jo

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2007

well my story is interesting, i almost burnt down my trailer by a freak accident. now i know this is probably sounding like i am not responsible enough for a job, but the truth is that i am very responsible and i am a very smart girl and i can fix almost any thing that needs to be fixed and i am very good with math and excelent with computer things or complications and i am lots of fun to be aound and last but not least i am the most organized and tidy 13 you will ever know (not trying to brag). Now i think i should tell you why i need this job, i need this job because i need to pay my dad $4000.00 (no that is not i typo i mean $4000.00) for the repairs on his trailer so if i could get a job that would be GREAT! and i think that any responsible non slacking 13 or 14 year old should be aloud to get a job, even if we are only payed student minimum wage (to anyone who doesn't know how much that is it's $7.50 an hour) if anyone could give me some answers that would be awsome thatnks signed Jo,Jo:)
john from PA

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2007

if anyone has a job for me you can contact me at jlj3807@aol.com
James acting as Joe

Studio City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2007

Ya, i totally agree, im 13 and would like to work, and i cant ask my parents for something, because they dont really have that much money to give, i need a job, but not a really hard working job, thats close to me, if any one has something that isnt that much, for example: mowing grass, washing cars, fixing things, stuff like that, then please email me at: loveaanimal@gmail.com
James acting as Joe

Studio City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2007

oh ya, and also im in Norco!
Precious

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

KEEUNNA PAYTON wrote:
I think so to because 13 year old would like to have a little money in their pocket
Ben

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Yo I am 13 and I am working for some neighbors around in my area. So just because your not 16 and up, doesnt mean you can't work around. I water plants and I got payed 25 dollars for doing about 10 minutes of work in my area for about a week. Its easy to find a job. You should do the work in your house before you go to other peoples houses. I say this because if your house is dirty and you want to do house cleaning, your parents probably won't let you because you haven't shown them you can do it. I might be able to get another job around my neighborhood if I show my mom I can edit a video well. If I can I will be getting payed. But if anyone needs a job around New Albany or Blacklick email me at c1245b@yahoo.com. I am experienced. I know how to edit videos and burn them onto DVD. I only charge about $8.00 per hour.
Ben

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Jo-Jo wrote:
well my story is interesting, i almost burnt down my trailer by a freak accident. now i know this is probably sounding like i am not responsible enough for a job, but the truth is that i am very responsible and i am a very smart girl and i can fix almost any thing that needs to be fixed and i am very good with math and excelent with computer things or complications and i am lots of fun to be aound and last but not least i am the most organized and tidy 13 you will ever know (not trying to brag). Now i think i should tell you why i need this job, i need this job because i need to pay my dad $4000.00 (no that is not i typo i mean $4000.00) for the repairs on his trailer so if i could get a job that would be GREAT! and i think that any responsible non slacking 13 or 14 year old should be aloud to get a job, even if we are only payed student minimum wage (to anyone who doesn't know how much that is it's $7.50 an hour) if anyone could give me some answers that would be awsome thatnks signed Jo,Jo:)
Can i ask a question how can they trust you if you burnt down your dads trailer. And second of all, 4000 is a lot of money and it would take a lot of work.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of159
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••