Suit accuses lender of harassment

Suit accuses lender of harassment

There are 63 comments on the The State - South Carolina story from Nov 11, 2006, titled Suit accuses lender of harassment. In it, The State - South Carolina reports that:

Horry County residents have filed two class-action lawsuits against Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance Inc., accusing one of the nation's largest manufactured-home lenders of making harassing telephone calls to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The State - South Carolina.

HARASS ME IN NC

Morganton, NC

#21 Oct 23, 2009
CALLS DAILY WITH ABUSIVE TONE AND THREATENING TACTICS, IF AN INDIVIDUAL DID THIS THEY WOULD BE UNDER THE JAIL BUT JIM CLAYTON OBVIOUSLY HAS ENUFF MONEY TO CONTINUE HIS SCARE TACTICS AND BUILD HIS FORTUNE AT BLUE COLLAR WORKERS EXPENSE......
Brenda

AOL

#22 Nov 10, 2009
I bought my mobile home in 2004.They lied from the start they told me that my land would not be in with the home loan,but come to find out it is...I had 3,500 for a trade in.In May 2007 money was being taking out of my bank account.I called mike kidwell at vanderbilt motgage and talk him about not taking out june payment.The end of june i made june payment but not july.I changed banks in august because of money takin gout of my account.I live on a very fixed income and take care of my hanicapp grandson.I made july payment in august.I was a month behind i admit that,In sept.i made august payment.They are ver rude,low down,dirty,liars and they dont how to add.i have problems ever since and still having trouble with them till this day.I'm 62 years old with bad health conditions and they know this but they have told me that they dont care....Vanderbilt needs to be shut down!!!!! Oh they told me that they have 13 months in a year so i named it vamber.
kathy Mesa AZ

United States

#23 Jan 28, 2010
I don't know if this will make you feel better I hope it gives you some relief that clayton/vanderbuilt may just get theirs My husband and I went into a land/home contract with them thank god I lost my job the night we signed, during our 3 day we pulled out legally BUT in the 3 day they came in and destroyed our property causing over 70,000 worth of damage we don't really have a home left but we do still own the property since all of this we have filed civil case against them and we are winning so far. these big companys think that us LITTLE people won't pursue them in court. Go and see legal aid see if they can help you,we buried them in paperwork, became a thorn in their side. I wish you and your family lots of love and I will keep you in my prayers god bless
Lisa - NC wrote:
I know exactly what all of you are talking about. I have had some really hard times here lately and I have been almost 3 months late but I have gotten caught up. Needless to say 21st Mortgage calls my mothers house daily, my brothers, my uncles, and who knows who else they call. I have just stopped answering their calls because of the way they talk to you and treat you. They tell us to call them and they wouldn't treat us like that but I know that is a lie. The last time I talked to them I told them if they wanted me to stay in contact with them they were going to have to change the way they treat me and talk to me. I told them how my experience with Citifinancial is and how if you are late on a payment with Citi they actually are so nice to you and so willing to work with you that they make you feel bad when you are late and I told them they have been times Ive paid Citi instead of 21st just because of the way I am treated and 21st makes me not want to pay my payment on time. When me and my husband first got behind it was because our 5 year old son at the time had hit his head and fractured his skull. It caused a blood clot and some severe seizures and he was in ICU for a couple of days and in hospital for a week. He was out of school for a month because of it and this caused me and my husband both to be out of work for that month because he required so much care and attention. God really blessed us and took care of him and we are lucky he is alive today. We explained to 21st mortgage what had happened and they could care less. They were asking us what type of things we had that we could sell, telling us to sell our stuff, have a yard sale, and going on and on. I finally hung up on tand I just refuse to talk to them. I send them a payment when I can and I just don't answer the phone when they do call. I really wish I could sue them but I am not sure if I have any grounds to. I was also told that they can not foreclose on you unless you are at least 3 months behind but I don't know how true that is but I hope that is true cause for the past year I have been 2 months behind and they ain't foreclosed on me yet. I really hope they go out of business and I would be more then willing to help petition the government not to bail out this company because the world would be a whole lot better off if they were not in business.
Betty

Tulsa, OK

#24 Feb 28, 2010
I bought my home in May 2003. Was told that I needed $1500.00 or so to take over the payments on this home so I wrote a check for it. Then they had the gall to call and tell me that it wasn't enough so I told them just give me back my down and I would move on to something else. I was informed that I would loose what I had given them and if I didn't like it I'd either step up and give them the rest of the money or I could give them back the key. Now, I had already moved in and started remodling this messed up home. I wound up giving them a total of over $5000.00 before it was settled and several months of pure hell trying to get them to pay the back taxes on this place. I know that Vanderbilt and Love homes are total jerks and nothing but liers to boot. They treat you great till they get the down and then the living hell begins. Still having problems with them. Every year they increase my payment saying it's just the way it is. My payment started out $500.52 and now is over $626.00. This is a fixed rate so how can this be. Just letting you know Vanderbilt are crooks here in Okla too! Can't get an Attorney to even look at them, good luck... These companies need to be stopped but our government is to busy bailing them out instead of standing for the people.
just me

San Diego, CA

#25 Apr 3, 2010
I also lost my home. When I signed the papers and the deed to my land for secured loan, I was told nothing about a my payments going up. I started paying 450.00 a month then about six months later I recieved a letter stating I was late on payment. I was paying 450.00. They didnt tell me my payments went up to 800.00. I had lost my job and couldnt catch up. I lost my land and home. They harrased me everyday. The phone calls where very nasty and just mean. Vanderbilt sucks. I got a letter last year saying that if I did nothing that if the lawsuit was won they would take it off my credit report. Has anyone heard anything on that?
Kris

Waianae, HI

#26 Apr 15, 2010
We also got that same packet about a lawsuit stating that if it was won it would be taken off our credit. Guess what IT WAS REMOVED...BUT... today I get a envelope addressed from Vanderbilt and it was a 1099-C IRS form entitled Cancellation of Debt. What I am confused on is as I am researching this , I am finding that this is another way to make you pay. Since the debt wasnt paid (which I fully admitted we stopped paying since we were defrauded) it says that you are supposed to claim the unpaid cancellation of debt as income. Well funny that the 1099-C form says debt was cancelled Nov 2009 but the I just got the letter from Vanderbilt themselves today and it was dated April 6,2010???

Anyone know what to do ?
just me wrote:
I also lost my home. When I signed the papers and the deed to my land for secured loan, I was told nothing about a my payments going up. I started paying 450.00 a month then about six months later I recieved a letter stating I was late on payment. I was paying 450.00. They didnt tell me my payments went up to 800.00. I had lost my job and couldnt catch up. I lost my land and home. They harrased me everyday. The phone calls where very nasty and just mean. Vanderbilt sucks. I got a letter last year saying that if I did nothing that if the lawsuit was won they would take it off my credit report. Has anyone heard anything on that?
LBS

Trenton, KY

#27 Apr 20, 2010
My husband and i have the same problem with vanderbilt mortgage. I think everyone should get together and put a law suit on them. The way they are doing business isn't gonna stop until more than one person puts a law suit against them.
rachel

High Point, NC

#28 May 17, 2010
I think so to.They want their money now reguardless ..I was in a near fatal car accident and in the hospital..threaten to take it ..did a hardship case and still charge me late fee.. got on my feet ended up on disability..threaten to repo it Mr Arlie Culp told them the benefits had come through they took it to court trailer never left premise still charge on 1700.00-2500.00 fee.Money is their God & so is the sue at betterbeads who has stock with Berkshire Hathaway
knoxville

United States

#29 May 17, 2010
call kevinn clayton or email him. he is the owner of all of it. big bunch of crooks from east tn
FLman

Spring Hill, FL

#30 Jun 11, 2010
I have been doing research on Vanderbilt Mortgage because of my father buying an Oakwood home and Vanderbilt taking over the mortgage. While I in no way condone their aggressive ("read: illegal") tactics, I see that the vast majority of people have a problem because they haven't paid their bill. While economic times are hard, I have to deal with them too, hardships don't absolve you of responisbility for a payment you have agreed to make. Again, I know how hard it can be to pay for something that you don't feel is being up to par, i.e, quality of home, failure of warranty, but you did sign the contract. I can understand their point a view a bit, because as a business owner, I want to be paid for the products/services bought from me, not to hear your child is sick, you lost your job, times are tight. On the flip side, the methods they use are absolutely heartless and rude. There is no excuse for raising a contracted payment amount without notice of provocation. However, if it was illegal, wouldn't they have been in trouble by now? I'd suggest contact a credit councilor or prepare for banctruptcy. This world is too full of crooked companies, and crooked people, and it will get worse before it gets better.
richard

Alice, TX

#31 Sep 14, 2011
i am also having problems with 21st mortgage. theyre foreclosing my home because i was three payments behind and the day i was gonna send them off, my wife was served papers to appear in court to foreclose my home. we even contacted the insurance co. we have through them, gave them the policy number, and they had no idea what we were talkin about. i've over paid my property taxes through them for the last 2yrs by almost double and only received a partial refund for the last year. i've lost out on about $1,000 in taxes and received a refund of $250. i still have the three payments in money orders but they dont want it. they want the whole remaining balance of $18,000. they want to sell my home and profit off of it.
Cheering you on....

Astoria, NY

#32 Sep 14, 2011
I'm not claiming that what I have to offer will be helpful or within anybodys legal rights. If things have happened as you all have stated, & I'm not saying I doubt you, why don't All of you try to meet, if possible. I dont know the statue in regards as to how long you have to file. But it wouldn't hurt for you all to bring copies of everything from day 1 & meet up. Maybe before you meet up, correspond thru e-mail researching attorneys. I would check-out big firms that deal in speciality cases like yours. In cases like this, maybe some firms will not take anything unless they know they can win. If not, dont get discouraged,they may ask for expenses upfront & maybe able to work something out with you. In cases like this, a "tiger" (good attorney), will not usually take such a high profilecase unless he's 90% sure he will win. Winning a huge case as this will be, if you everyone is willing to come together, would make a name for a lawyer. And NO, I'm not an attorney, nor is anyone in my family. I don't live in your area. I have family that does, thats why I check-in on this thread. I'm very sorry all of are going thru this nightmare. I hope you all are able to come together & build a hell'uva case! You've each taken a first step by reaching out & posting your story hoping to find others like yourselves, & you found those people! This whole matter is none of my business, but, I'm cheering each & everyone of you on to see it thru if thats what you decide. I apologize that my comment was long. I don't know if it was even helpful. Perhaps my thoughts were things you've already thought of & have done. I truly hope you All get your situations resolved & in your favor. Good Luck!
working mans friend

Bristol, TN

#33 Sep 28, 2011
FLman wrote:
I have been doing research on Vanderbilt Mortgage because of my father buying an Oakwood home and Vanderbilt taking over the mortgage. While I in no way condone their aggressive ("read: illegal") tactics, I see that the vast majority of people have a problem because they haven't paid their bill. While economic times are hard, I have to deal with them too, hardships don't absolve you of responisbility for a payment you have agreed to make. Again, I know how hard it can be to pay for something that you don't feel is being up to par, i.e, quality of home, failure of warranty, but you did sign the contract. I can understand their point a view a bit, because as a business owner, I want to be paid for the products/services bought from me, not to hear your child is sick, you lost your job, times are tight. On the flip side, the methods they use are absolutely heartless and rude. There is no excuse for raising a contracted payment amount without notice of provocation. However, if it was illegal, wouldn't they have been in trouble by now? I'd suggest contact a credit councilor or prepare for banctruptcy. This world is too full of crooked companies, and crooked people, and it will get worse before it gets better.
man you are a low life all the bad things they are doing to people and you are takeing there side you are a jerk
Jen

Knoxville, TN

#34 Oct 12, 2011
I bought a home from Clayton in 07. This past December after having health problems I fell behind on my mortgage. When I talked to them, I was transferred to a "supervisor" which then told me grocery shopping was "frivolous spending" (I have 2 young kids) I repeated "feeding my children is frivolous spending?!?" thinking maybe she misunderstood me. She said "Yes, you need to manage your money better" I told her I worked 1 day last week, the first thing I am going to do is make sure my kids eat. She answered with " THAT IS JUST UNACCEPTABLE!!!" very loudly I might add. These people are like dealing with Satan himself. If I had known then.....I would not EVER had bought a home from them! They call me at work, relentlessly on my cell, and have even called my neighbors when I was late. Ridiculous!!
NIGHTSHIFT

Pittsboro, NC

#35 Oct 13, 2011
All of you white trash people need to stop buying trailer homes.
NIGHTSHIFT

Irmo, SC

#36 Oct 13, 2011
NIGHTSHIFT wrote:
All of you white trash people need to stop buying trailer homes.
Grow up little boy. Just like a child the best you can come up with is to insult others, make up childish comments and immature comments. Is it a welfare thing or an education thing with you?
Why such immature comments from you? I think it is because you are too stupid to say anything real.
In fact you are not even original enough to make up a real screen name so you have to copy the best. You only wish you could be me.
That will never happen until you grow up.
NIGHTSHIFT

Pittsboro, NC

#37 Oct 13, 2011
Looks like somebody is grumpy today.
NIGHTSHIFT

Irmo, SC

#38 Oct 14, 2011
NIGHTSHIFT wrote:
I may be an immature little punk but it Looks like somebody is grumpy today.
How about you take responsibility, grow up and stop being such a leech to society. Welfare punks like you are the reason America is going down the tubes. You are a waste of space and air. Is this how you dope heads spend all your time?
NIGHTSHIFT

Pittsboro, NC

#39 Oct 14, 2011
NIGHTSHIFT wrote:
I agree that I was grumpy yesterday. I find it disheartening that transsexual people like myself are discriminated against. All I was is to be loved by a large dog and maybe a sheep or two. I also like to argue with myself on the internet. I don't have any real friends so I spend a majority of my free time posting on this website. In short, I'm a complete loser.
I completely agree!
NIGHTSHIFT

Irmo, SC

#40 Oct 14, 2011
NIGHTSHIFT wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely agree!
Still you are too much of a slow minded lazy boy to ever be creative enough to create your own screen name and discuss a real topic. I have no doubt that the reason for this is that you wish you could be as intelligent and as creative as I am.
You are way too much of an immature burn out to say or do anything real so you must pretend to be me, since that what lazy welfare boys do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mortgage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Twice Victims Of Mortgage Fraud, Family Faces E... (Jul '08) 1 hr he knows 24
News Sean Rutledge Resigns from United Law Group (Dec '09) Fri ddd 12
News Homeowners Insurance Can Cost You Twice as Much... Aug 25 Raylin Sutter 1
News Michele Bachmann used Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac... (Jul '11) Aug 25 Swedenforever 9
News Trish Long: Just 2 months to build Murchison Park Aug 24 huey goins 2
News Judge restricts finances of former El Paso's Fe... (Nov '14) Aug 21 MEEEE 2
News Gingrich acknowledges Freddie Mac consulting fees (Nov '11) Aug 19 Swedenforever 776
More from around the web