Edith Windsor court ruling

Feb 22, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KIDK CBS 3

In a preview of a major constitutional showdown at the Supreme Court over same-sex marriage, the Obama administration said on Friday that a federal law denying financial benefits to legally wed gay and lesbian couples is unconstitutional.

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2013

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#1 Feb 23, 2013
Solicitor General Donald Verrilli has filed a brief urging the Supreme Court to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act:

“The law denies to tens of thousands of same-sex couples who are legally married under state law an array of important federal benefits that are available to legally married opposite-sex couples. Because this discrimination cannot be justified as substantially furthering any important governmental interest, Section 3 is unconstitutional.”

“The government has previously defended Section 3 under rational-basis review, and does not challenge the constitutionality of Section 3 under that highly deferential standard.”

“This is, however, the rare case in which deference to the democratic process must give way to the fundamental constitutional command of equal treatment under law. Section 3 of DOMA targets the many gay and lesbian people legally married under state law for a harsh form of discrimination that bears no relation to their ability to contribute to society. It is abundantly clear that this discrimination does not substantially advance an interest in protecting marriage, or any other important interest. The statute simply cannot be reconciled with the Fifth Amendment’s guarantee of equal protection. The Constitution therefore requires that Section 3 be invalidated.”
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#3 Feb 23, 2013
Andrei wrote:
Does anyone bother to read any of this queer's long-winded, asinine blather?
I know I sure as hell don't!
Nobody cares what you think, closet boy.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#4 Feb 23, 2013
You stopped reading after the third grade moron.
Andrei wrote:
Does anyone bother to read any of this queer's long-winded, asinine blather?
I know I sure as hell don't!

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#5 Feb 23, 2013
"Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education; they grow there, firm as weeds among stones.” Charlotte Bronte

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Personal Finance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Senate candidate Tennant makes stop in Wellsburg 10 hr The Punisher 1
Social Security disability approvals decline (Dec '13) 14 hr Frustrated 77
Economic security of Poland 16 hr Thomas 2
Numbers of homeless increase in region 18 hr But 6
ssd solution chemical/black money cleaning (Nov '12) Fri Dr Davit brelle 8
NightSide - Stephen Rose and Jesse Randolph Fig... Fri Kelly Essentially 1
32,000 Have Unclaimed Pension Benefits, Agency ... (Apr '07) Thu Janice Jones 25
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Personal Finance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••