City business owners brace for minimum wage increase

Dec 28, 2013 Full story: Watertown Daily Times 16

Small-business managers in Watertown who employ low-wage workers say they'll soon need to find ways to cope with higher payroll expenses because, on Jan. 1, the state's minimum wage will climb from $7.25 to $8 an hour.

Full Story
Riparian

Bronx, NY

#1 Dec 28, 2013
$8./ hr x 40 if u get that many=$320 - 20% for taxes =$256
$256 x 4= monthly income of
$1024

500 for an apartment
100 for heat averaged for year
400 food
20 garbage
$ 4 for all your dreams to come true

I love america
And they say slavery died 400 years ago!
noticed

Massena, NY

#2 Dec 28, 2013
Riparian wrote:
$8./ hr x 40 if u get that many=$320 - 20% for taxes =$256
$256 x 4= monthly income of
$1024
500 for an apartment
100 for heat averaged for year
400 food
20 garbage
$ 4 for all your dreams to come true
I love america
And they say slavery died 400 years ago!
.
Not to mention that every product will go up in price. That means anyone on a fixed income or making above minimum wage will have less money remaining after living expenses
worker

Gouverneur, NY

#3 Dec 28, 2013
Riparian wrote:
$8./ hr x 40 if u get that many=$320 - 20% for taxes =$256
$256 x 4= monthly income of
$1024
500 for an apartment
100 for heat averaged for year
400 food
20 garbage
$ 4 for all your dreams to come true
I love america
And they say slavery died 400 years ago!
Better than sitting on your a** posting on topics all day.
Riparian

New York, NY

#4 Dec 28, 2013
worker wrote:
<quoted text>Better than sitting on your a** posting on topics all day.
No its not.
Its a waste of your life.
I am fortune to work for myself.
I was one who rented, worked for tyrants and made others rich. I suffered a long time after I refused to play this loosing game.
Through the years I have been fortunate to have people give me a chance to do an excellent job for them that keeps them coming back and tell their friends about me.
Its sad to see people waste their lives for the little money minimum wage provides.
These are jobs for kids who live at home. Not our eldery, not mothers and fathers who have dependents.
I feel for those people.
Solution

United States

#5 Dec 28, 2013
Do not reproduce - problem solved.
tammy

Syracuse, NY

#6 Dec 28, 2013
Sucks for some great for others can't do anything about life goes on
a clue

Massena, NY

#7 Dec 28, 2013
tammy wrote:
Sucks for some great for others can't do anything about life goes on
You mean sucks for the vast majority, great for an increasingly less amount of others, you as well, THEN you will think you can do something about it.
Librarian

Gouverneur, NY

#8 Dec 28, 2013
Riparian wrote:
<quoted text>
No its not.
Its a waste of your life.
I am fortune to work for myself.
I was one who rented, worked for tyrants and made others rich. I suffered a long time after I refused to play this loosing game.
Through the years I have been fortunate to have people give me a chance to do an excellent job for them that keeps them coming back and tell their friends about me.
Its sad to see people waste their lives for the little money minimum wage provides.
These are jobs for kids who live at home. Not our eldery, not mothers and fathers who have dependents.
I feel for those people.
I just bet you feel for those people or anyone for that matter.
Those lucky people that gave you a chance. With your attitude it's no wonder you work for yourself.
You just hate the world.
Minimum wage is better than nothing and it's not a waste of anyone's life. It takes two in most families to work. Two minimum wage jobs can support most families. I'm glad that you are so highly educated and mighty that you don't have to work for minimum wage and your life is perfect.
Not all of us are like you. We are happy to just have a job.
tammy

Massena, NY

#9 Dec 28, 2013
a clue wrote:
<quoted text>You mean sucks for the vast majority, great for an increasingly less amount of others, you as well, THEN you will think you can do something about it.
Life still goes on :)
Nothing you nor I can do but deal with it complaining on here will get you nowhere life goes on and on and on
Riparian

New York, NY

#10 Dec 28, 2013
Librarian wrote:
<quoted text>I just bet you feel for those people or anyone for that matter.
Those lucky people that gave you a chance. With your attitude it's no wonder you work for yourself.
You just hate the world.
Minimum wage is better than nothing and it's not a waste of anyone's life. It takes two in most families to work. Two minimum wage jobs can support most families. I'm glad that you are so highly educated and mighty that you don't have to work for minimum wage and your life is perfect.
Not all of us are like you. We are happy to just have a job.
I do feel sorry for those people.
Im related to some of them and friends with others.
You are absolutely right, with my attitude I am better off to have my own business. But know that I still work for someone, people who appreciate my work, value the fact that they get a service at a fraction of the cost that others charge. Thats more than I've gotten elsewhere.
I dont hate much, it takes too much energy, I dislike and disagree often though.
Perhaps you think I am attacking or belittleing those who are forced or feel forced to work for 8. That couldnt be farther from the truth.
Why should both parents have to work to scrape by?
Who is going to raise your children?
Some illegal alien who charges 2$ an hour so that its worth it to go to work?
Im not highly educated, I am highly skilled however and have a passion for what I do and have done it since I was a young teenager.
My life isnt perfect by far, hell im a month and a half late on my housepayment and in trouble about it. But ill sell a toy or get more work. Life is a stuggle but too many struggle too hard.
I say what I say because its not fair to these people.
Maybe some day I'll have enough work to hire an employee, I won't be paying minimum wage.
In closing i am the original Riparian
but not the only so dont claim you know me.
losing game

Gouverneur, NY

#11 Dec 29, 2013
Hey you're not supposed to notice until all your freedoms and anything else you value are taken away or given to someone that dosen't share your work/life ethics. then you can do what you want.'cause you won't be needed
Gouvy

Mobile, AL

#12 Dec 30, 2013
Can't polish a turd
shillshucker

Massena, NY

#13 Dec 30, 2013
tammy wrote:
<quoted text>
Life still goes on :)
Nothing you nor I can do but deal with it complaining on here will get you nowhere life goes on and on and on
Thanks to lazy apathetic people like you this country is going nowhere.

You may think it is ok to sell our children's futures (maybe you don't think that far ahead) but most people want to see the next generation exist with a little dignity.
tammy

Danielson, CT

#15 Dec 30, 2013
shillshucker wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks to lazy apathetic people like you this country is going nowhere.

You may think it is ok to sell our children's futures (maybe you don't think that far ahead) but most people want to see the next generation exist with a little dignity.
You don't know me I am FAR from lazy but to each his own rant all you want lmao
You have a GREAT life !!!!!
Butch

Brasher Falls, NY

#16 Dec 30, 2013
8 dolllars isn't a lot to live on but maybe enough to get someone going to go and keep looking for a better job to build themselves up . What I was wondering was what happens to the person that has been working and has built them selves up to 8 or 9 dollars an hour ,are they going to be getting a 75 cent raise too? or are they going find themselves back at start out wage again making the same as some one just starting .If they raise everyones wages accordingly everything else is going to cost more so the increase won't make a damn bit of difference ,will it ?
Riparian

Danielson, CT

#18 Dec 30, 2013
Mel wrote:
Riparian what do YOU do for work or as a service for others ? Suck dingney dong?
I dont work 4 u melvin

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Personal Finance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IPO For STORE Capital Corporation Looks Well Built 36 min humphrey 1
Immigrants Social Security eligible in Obama plan 1 hr See the Light 24
Fitch Affirms Village CDD No. 6 (FL) Special As... 3 hr Grace 1
Daily Technical Strategist on GBPJPY 12 hr FXTechstrategy Team 1
Buying homes tough for young families 14 hr BenjaminHand93 2
Immigrants Social Security Eligible in Obama Plan 14 hr Cricket 23 1
2 Blue Island brothers in line for 6 government... (Nov '13) Thu Mind Your Business 53

Personal Finance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE