Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor | Jerry W. Owens

Full story: Carrollton Free Press Standard

Quattrochi play hard ball with special school interest groups? 2. Ohio health care plans for teachers are unsustainable.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Oct 26, 2013
Rob

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2013

Judged:

So true, I agree.
Info

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2013

Judged:

The average cost of living increase for social security over the last ten years is 2.56%, and that includes the two zero percent years you mentioned, hopefully when you looked up your information you saw that the increase was 5.8% in 2009. If you look up the raises the teachers have received over the last ten years, their yearly increase has barely averaged 1%, including a number of zero percent years, last year being one of them and there will probably be a couple more zeroes over the next few years.

The largest cost for any business is its employees, this shouldn't be tossed around in this debate like somehow the school is at fault because it pays its workers. I know what the teachers in our district make, and I know what it has taken for these people to get their degrees and pay their loans. I also know the dedication and loyalty that these people have to this district and its children. There is nothing about what they have that could ever be called a golden parachute, how dare you compare the multi million dollar bonuses and exit checks that CEOs and hedge fund managers got for ripping out economy apart in 2008, to what these fellow members of our small community get for devoting their time to our children. I know some of the smaller minded people will want to immediately try to tell a story about some teacher that they heard some story about, but get over yourselves and focus on the hundreds of people working everyday to do what our children need them to do. Now it is our time to step up and do what is needed, community is everything, we are social beings and we cannot live our lives in isolation. It is our duty to help regardless of our affiliation with the school.
Bob

Attica, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

Most of the teachers deserve their salaries, but again administrative salaries are too high. When an administrator retires at 35 years, he or she will make 90 percent of their wages (I don't know the facts exactly). If he makes 90,000, he retires at 81,000 a year. How does that make sense? The school district can't support that kind of wage. This is obvious. The retirement system can't support that wage. The entire country is run in this manner. CEOs to local rural superintendents and principals are dragging the economic stability of this country down.
Archie Bunker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

Well said Mr Owens.
Info

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

Correct...you don't know the facts exactly.
Randy Miller

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

You guys are so involved and passionate to stop a levy that will increase your tax but see nothing wrong with an out of control spending federal government. You speak nothing about the trillions of overspending that we will have to pay for. Where is your anger to stop this?
Im just saying

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Mr. Miller with all do respect the federal government really isn't a part of this discussion. I am in fact furious at the over spending of our government, as I'm sure many other citizens of Carroll County are. I am furious that they have no budget set in place when it is required by law that every other government and non for profit entity pass a budget every year, and follow that budget. But honestly do we even have a voice when it comes to the federal government? It seems anymore that our voices fall on deaf ears. Anymore it seems that the only time anyone in the federal government cares what we have to say is around election time. Maybe the reason people are so "involved and passionate" about the levy is because it is something they can actually have a voice in. Its something that is close to home, and its easier to see the effects of it. Besides while some of the people on here are in fact "angry" Anger is not going to solve either one of these issues. It might get everyone all fired up but in the long run cool heads, critical thinking, respect, and listening to each other is what is going to solve these issues. In both cases it shouldn't be a matter of Us Vs. Them but rather a collective move to do what is honestly best for the greater good.
Archie Bunker

Bidwell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Randy,

I agree with you, but for us it has to start locally. We have allowed this spending spree to go on way to long. It started back in the 70s with local movements and now we need to take it back! Our voice is here 1st!
Get a Clue

Leon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Archie Bunker wrote:
Randy,
I agree with you, but for us it has to start locally. We have allowed this spending spree to go on way to long. It started back in the 70s with local movements and now we need to take it back! Our voice is here 1st!
With this post, your ignorance surpasses all rational understanding. Even the chimps would know that you are off the reservation!

Let me understand. Because the federal government has spent too much money since the 1970's, we need to take a stand locally and screw over the children from Carrollton? The voice that is 'Here 1st' says "Too bad kids, the government spent too much money winning the Cold War, so you get no new textbooks, classes of 35, box lunches, and trailers for a school building. Nice.

You picked the wrong handle; you make a better Meathead. I support and believe in kids. I'll be voting for the future.
Cynthia

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

As I read these post I have realized that people like "Get a Clue" and those for it are so hostile, nasty, degrading and RIGHT!. If you don't share the same opinion, you're IGNORANT.

Mr. Bunker is always matter-of-fact and others exercising their FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Which isn't allowed in this country anymore.

This realization makes me think twice about my vote.
I went to a private school and all classrooms had between 30-35 kids. I really was leaning towards voting for the schools, but not when I see whats fighting for it. And that's the GOOD SIDE? It doesn't appear that way to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••