Thousands in Washington state losing ...

Thousands in Washington state losing jobless benefits

There are 3 comments on the KING-TV Seattle story from Dec 29, 2013, titled Thousands in Washington state losing jobless benefits. In it, KING-TV Seattle reports that:

Elaine Simons is one of 25,000 people in Washington state losing their unemployment benefits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KING-TV Seattle.

Scott Britton

Tacoma, WA

#1 Dec 29, 2013
In an age where automation, outsourcing and off shoring are the trend and where robotics are poised to play an ever increasing role in replacing labor intensive jobs formerly held by human beings, the time has come to reexamine the worth we ascribe to humanity. Perhaps it is time to think about alternative resources for the basics of water, food, and housing. With the top 1% earning 95 percent of all new wealth created, and the ever increasing disparity of those who control the resources and those who are controlled by the arbitrary scarcity of those resources, perhaps some property, including public lands ought to be put to use in such a way that they provide these basic subsistence needs of citizens. One thing is clear, the impoverished third world model and expanding ghettoization of America has not been working. Nor is the concept of "charity" good for the character of men. A lawyer charges one man $300 per hour and the next man (who is neither blind nor disabled) is given the same services "pro bono". The message seems to be that if you are poor you deserve someone else's labor for free. Not exactly the kind to message that serves to inspire a population to work harder. And if you ask the average citizen I doubt very much that what they want is a hand out. If such services were priced affordably in proportion to wages citizens would not have to ask for charity in the first place. Also it might make a bit more sense to subsidize small business and employee owned companies that offer more permanent stability to a community than to continue to subsidize multinational corporations whom by law, have no responsibility to profit their communities, employees or their nation. If fact if they did engage in such sustainable behavior on behalf of the employees and communities they would be in breach to their fiduciary responsibility to shareholders who in which case then have cause to bring suit for failure ot maximize the profit of shareholders. This round robin cycle of negative net gain to communities and employees (citizens) is the major struggle of this postindustrial era. Destabilization is the result of a failure of a party for the people to keep pace with the party of the business community and a corporate controlled media that cannot avoid its own conflict of interests. Look to the Scandinavian countries to see economies where employment is strong and workers earn living wages while government manages social issues hand in hand with strong business leadership. Scott Britton partner at Legalbargaindotnet
Scott Britton

Tacoma, WA

#2 Dec 29, 2013
Forgive the typos, I do not have an editor available on Sundays nor after business hours,. Thus when I take time to think about public policy issues I do the best I can to edit within the time I have available. As someone who is dyslexic editing is a much more cumbersome and time consuming task than most people can ever imagine. The condition does however have its positive silver lining. Many of the most successful entrepreneurs are dyslexic (I was as surprised as you may be to learn this only recently while watching a special on my condition) and one of our strengths is the ability to think outside of a box and to see e big picture (inductive reasoning) often well before the rest of the class. This is perhaps how I was able to earn 105% on my final exam for sociology in college, getting even the bonus questions correct, while the closest score in my class was a 71%. At the same time I required tutoring to earn decent grades in my math and technical writing courses. My wife who is one of the premier law professors in the world has much different brain than I do. She is brilliant with perfect recall and photographic memory. He writing is grammatically perfect, as it needs to be, since legal writing is her job. I often think that if we could just get leading Democrats and Republicans to sit in a room together for a long enough period, with the right facilitator and record what is said between them, to air on public television, we could propel public education ahead by a century or more The freedom to lie and the common practice of public relations firms who function to disseminate propaganda on behalf of corporations and politicians, must be met with an intensive effort to educate the public about the problem, that is if we will ever hope to really break the polarization citizens to foster our progress as a nation. just as it takes an awful lot of understanding and patience for my wife to communicate with her dyslexic husband, it will take a good amount of willingness and understanding to move our nation forward.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#3 Dec 30, 2013
One thing I think could be looked into is the Government using some of that 'saved' money from unemployment to incentive employers to take on those long-term unemployed, instead of their favored 'cheap, temp' labor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Personal Finance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump Must Keep His Promise: Repeal DACA 54 min usa 248
News Please, no questions for the finance minister: ... 9 hr r they Masons 1
News Provincial Liberals welcome small-business tax ... 9 hr r they Masons 1
News Stouffville small businesses not impressed by T... 9 hr Cybersecurity inc... 1
News US long-term mortgage rates fall; 30-year at 3.... 10 hr jfdks 1
News Bipolar Disorder and Social Security Disability... Wed cocoMakemostooge 54
News Remaking Rutland with Refugees (Jun '16) Wed Comrade Sanders 9
More from around the web