David Leeper: Dubious Social Security...

David Leeper: Dubious Social Security future requires planning

There are 3 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jun 12, 2011, titled David Leeper: Dubious Social Security future requires planning. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Last week, I had a very interesting conversation with two successful businessmen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

John

AOL

#1 Jun 12, 2011
Wonder why people are FORCED to pay into the Social Security System that at the same time acknowledges that they might not be able to pay anything back?

Arn't One-Sided Contacts illegal?

I tell you to make payments on this car you are buying, but I am not going to give you the car.

I will sell you this house but I am not going to let you have the house.

You must pay into this retirement plan but I cannot guarantee you any retirement benefits whatsoever.

When the other party agrees, up front, that you might not get anything in return,... And is FORCING you to pay, against your will,... Is THAT legal?

Dont the lawmakers see anything wrong with this?
half3moon2003

AOL

#2 Jun 12, 2011
Once a well-known UTEP professor made a joke about Social Security. It went like this" Everyone saying there's a problem with Social Security, of course there is people aren't dying off fast enough." At that particular time I thought it was funny now approaching my golden years, I don't think its very funny. But now I see another problem, that reason is also that some illegals qualified for supplemental Social Security. This I think is a great drain on this system. Social Security was intended for only the hardworking Americans that paid into this system,not for illegals. Now the real Americans will pay for this stupidity.
lbgodines

El Paso, TX

#3 Jun 15, 2011
SS is just a tax that goes into the general fund. Prior to SS Americans sure were able to take care of themselves, and did it better than relying on the government to take care of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

401K Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
King Size Solid Wood Bed Frame Jun 22 sonofgod58 1
Stock Options that need to be purchased (vs. ex... May '16 JAMS10 1
401k withdrawal for home purchase May '16 Rayj00 2
Paying Off 401K Loan With 401K Withdrawal? May '16 Rayj00 1
$TKAT Created a stock exchange for ART!! Apr '16 johnsrabon 1
Im fascinated wth this $QBIO interview Apr '16 lyte0ne 1
Primary Home Purchase Apr '16 Jmhimmel 1
More from around the web