Withdrawing 401K when student

Withdrawing 401K when student

Posted in the 401K Forum

Emre

Fontainebleau, France

#1 Feb 22, 2012
Hi all - I have a question about withdrawing 401K. I have worked in the US for 4 years and have about 30K in my account. I am thinking of withdrawing my money from 401k and I know everyone will scream no but please read below to see if it makes sense for me.
Facts:
- During 2012, I am a student again and will have no income otherwise, which will put me on a very low tax bracket.
- I live outside of US, and will not have to do state taxes (I hope this is true, can someone tell me if this assumption is wrong)
- I never intend to return to the US

Questions:
- In this situation, I assume that I will need to pay a 10% penalty and income tax, which should be around 10%, provided I have no other income. Is there anything else I need to pay?
- Given all this, does it make sense?(Please no arguments about this being worth a million in 50 years, we all know that net present value of that amount right now is $30K)

Thank you so much for your help!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

401K Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Early 401K withdrawal for a home downpayment. Aug '17 sjkaye1998 1
Vesting & Rollover Jul '17 techguy 1
Question on 401k Jul '17 Tom 1
I can't rollover my 401K Jun '17 djrock 2
Distribution Costs May '17 pairunoyd 1
What is the Nikkei 225? Apr '17 deniharris 2
401k canceled Apr '17 Spring-e 1
More from around the web