As You See It: Oct. 9, 2010

As You See It: Oct. 9, 2010

There are 33 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 9, 2010, titled As You See It: Oct. 9, 2010. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Thank you for your Wednesday article, Up in Smoke,' about increased tobacco sales to minors and efforts to curb this practice locally.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lowe Blowe

Fremont, CA

#1 Oct 9, 2010
You tell them, Ron! We WILL have leftist Democrats, whether we like it or not!

“Where Did All the Money Go?”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Oct 9, 2010
Michael Simms wrote:
Rein in vacation rentals

Once again, the rights of many were trampled by Realtors and business owners. When I built my home 25 years ago, there were no vacation rentals near me. Now I have one on each side and one behind. Within 300 feet, I have seven that I know of. Where are my rights to a neighborhood and to peace and quiet? These people are running motels in a residential neighborhood for profit. Most do not live in the area. I wonder if anyone on the housing committee lives next to a vacation rental? One individual actually told me to sell my house if I did not like to live in an area dominated by vacation rentals. All we are asking for is regulation; livelihoods should not be affected as existing rentals are grandfathered in. Do not allow those motivated by profit to dominate this issue.

Michael Simms, Santa Cruz
I understand your frustration. I lived in a high rental area myself for a few years. Generally, it was fine with the occasional, maddening jerks. Fortunately, I never had to call the police although I did have to talk with one of the landlords who seemed generally concerned, apologized, and actually addressed the parking problem!

While I no longer have any skin in the game (I don't own a rental and I don't live near any rentals), I think that the proposed ordinance was a bit excessive to the problem, especially the seven night minimum stay requirement. If the county wants to tax and control home rentals like it does hotels and B&Bs, then give home owners the same minimum rental requirements of just a single night.

Instead of punishing ALL landlords, why not target the ordinance at the specific bad behavior that we want to discourage, which are all public-nuisance items anyway (excess noise, garbage, clogging streets with cars)? I did like the idea of a posted contact so that you can contact the landowner directly. Sometimes it's difficult to track down the landowner.

Before any such ordinance is passed, I'd like to see a detailed land map of the affected area. There is no need to apply the ordinance county wide, due to the much different environemnts in different areas.

Background Information:
http://sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/bds/Gov...

“Where Did All the Money Go?”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Oct 9, 2010
Randall Sparks wrote:
Why should Democrats be in control again?

If you think that charging more to employers for health care, raising taxes on the job makers, raising the dividend tax and adding a carbon tax to energy, along with reinstituting a death tax and the other 15 taxes cut by George W. Bush will get more people working, you are living on another planet. Let's start from the beginning. Bush put TARP on the table and it has been paid back, all $700 billion of it. So Bush did not leave a $1.4 trillion debit to Obama and the democratic Congress. Guess what? Obama lied to you --$700 billion was a loan to the banks. Now Obama and the Demagogues want to spend the paid-back money instead of paying down the debit. Who plays the fear card? You were supposed to be afraid of the crippled economy, but the recession ended in July 2009, according to the Bureau of Statistics. Obama and the Congress still rammed through $800 billion in stimulus payback for being elected to bigger government, unions and special interest. To this day he has not spent or even earmarked $280 billion of that stimulus package, but he cannot find it in his heart to use $30 billion to $50 billion to support unemployment insurance? So he got Congress to get another $30 billion for that purpose. So tell me again why Democrats should control Congress?

Randall Sparks, Watsonville
Why should Democrats be in control again, especially here in California? Easy! Because they currently control the redistricting process and ensure that many career politicians have nice politically safe districts.

Need an example? Look at Proposition 27. Many believe, myself included, that Proposition 27 was the brainchild of Michael Berman of secretive Berman & D'Agostino Campaigns, a man who has been active in many of California's redistricting decisions. How much power did/does Michael Berman wield? In 2001, here's what U.S. Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez said about redistricting and paying Michael Berman for his sage guidance.

"Twenty thousand [dollars] is nothing to keep your seat. I spend $2 million [campaigning] every year. If my colleagues are smart, they'll pay their $20,000, and Michael will draw the district they can win in. Those who have refused to pay? God help them."

And who is Michael Berman's brother? In a sheer coincidence, his brother is U.S. Congressman Howard Berman. Strange, huh?

Who is paying for Proposition 27? It's many of the same self-serving politicians whose political careers would be at risk if they had to compete in free and fair elections. Our local Congressional Representatives Sam Farr and Anna Eshoo are included.

The remainder of the list includes other special interests and well-connected big-money donors that already invested millions of dollars in these same politicians.

VOTE NO ON PROPISITION 27!

Proposition 27 Revealed!
http://soquelbythecreek.blogspot.com/2010/09/...
Buzz

Emeryville, CA

#4 Oct 9, 2010
Ron Lowe ought to get together with Howard Sosbee and open up a Kool Aid stand. That is, if they don't consume all of the product themselves. They make the Tea Party look like a bunch of moderates.
Another Lowe hate letter

AOL

#5 Oct 9, 2010
Teren Ellison: It would be interesting to know how many military suicides result from troops being exposed to left-wing leaders ranting that they fought and killed in an unnecessary war based on lies. Believing that might make me think about eating a bullet.

Ron Lowe: Another of his usual Republicans-are-Satan diatribes, this time comparing Nevada candidate Sharron Angle opposing Harry Reid unfavorably to Ghengis Khan. The fact is the left hates the thought of any woman or ethnic minority being a Republican, because they're all supposed to take a seat in the back of the Democratic party's campaign bus and do as they're told. Hence, Christine O'Donnell being portrayed as a witch on a broom, Meg Whitman as a Mexican-hating liar, etc. All slimed like Palin. The reason: Deep in the chest of Ron Lowe and other lefties beats the raging heart of intolerance.
Minor correction

San Francisco, CA

#6 Oct 9, 2010
Another Lowe hate letter wrote:
Teren Ellison: It would be interesting to know how many military suicides result from troops being exposed to left-wing leaders ranting that they fought and killed in an unnecessary war based on lies. Believing that might make me think about eating a bullet.
I agree with the sentiment, but the letter you accidentally referred to as being written by Ellison was actually written by Ruth Valdez, listed right next to Ellison in the hard copy edition.

As for Ron Lowe...he has all the interest and half the intelligence of a dripping faucet. My reaction to all of his letters is "ho hum." Or to evade the overactive Topix censor, make that "h-o hum."

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#7 Oct 9, 2010
Sure Teren. But you'd be the first to scream bloody murder! when your rent goes up to cover the increased fees.
Life

Los Altos, CA

#8 Oct 9, 2010
Marion Scott please view this presentation made by Gianna Jessen, who is an abortion survivor then tell me what you think.
Stop the blame game

Fremont, CA

#9 Oct 9, 2010
For a very long time conservative Republicans have focused on abortion and guns. A position that allowed the Left to attack, and describe them as extreme Right Wingers.

What Mr. Lowe and others miss, is that those who identify themselves with the Tea Party are not focused on the traditional Right Wing "Christian" agenda, but rather on conservative views on economic policy and what they see as a rapidly expanding federal government, and other constitutional issues.

These issues, to the real center, transcend political alliances, and are the reason both parties are concerned with the change that is occurring in the political realm.

Change is on the horizon, and while it is not what Mr. Obama promised, it is because of his policies.
Life

Los Altos, CA

#10 Oct 9, 2010
To Marion Scott:
A poster with the moniker "It'smylife" wrote after the Sentinel Article "Abortion foes begin 40-day Vigil"
"I'm 50, married, childless, extremely successful and had 7 abortions, I regret nothing!"

As long as there is easy access no questions asked abortions on demand, some women like the above woman are going to use it as a form of birth control.

There is something seriously wrong with abortion being used as birth control, I don't care which side you are on, this cannot sit right with anyone's moral conscience.
Hoohumm

Hayward, CA

#12 Oct 9, 2010
Mental ward let loose on the population daily. I am so glad the Lowes, and whoever so raise the blood pressure of the angry right wing extremists. Feigned concern for veterans might be a peak at feigned concern for anyone other than their own agenda. So someone did not support torture, war crimes, or bankrupting America for your personal gain. It is their first amendment right. Applicable to all.
We have not forgotten who shoveled the bush agenda on America, and witch hunted any who questioned the validity of the lies. It was your lies that got veterans injured or killed. Trying, but failing to revise history so objectors caused the debacle is humorous. YOUR guilty. Own up to it.
Your just talk, that's all.
brad

San Jose, CA

#14 Oct 9, 2010
Hoohumm wrote:
Mental ward let loose on the population daily. I am so glad the Lowes, and whoever so raise the blood pressure of the angry right wing extremists. Feigned concern for veterans might be a peak at feigned concern for anyone other than their own agenda. So someone did not support torture, war crimes, or bankrupting America for your personal gain. It is their first amendment right. Applicable to all.
We have not forgotten who shoveled the bush agenda on America, and witch hunted any who questioned the validity of the lies. It was your lies that got veterans injured or killed. Trying, but failing to revise history so objectors caused the debacle is humorous. YOUR guilty. Own up to it.
Your just talk, that's all.
So what does it say for the next President who continued the Bankrupting of America, the Patriot Act, Gitmo and is still allowing other countries to torture our captives. Then there is the Bush partner in crime, the Democratic Congress we have had for 4 years; so incompetent that they have ignored high unemployment to concentrate on a health care reform that no one nobody wants (or even read) and now refuses to submit a budget or vote on possible tax increases, stalling any real economic recovery until business has some idea what it will cost to hire new employees and/or expand. The Obama juggernaut is so unpopular, the Democrats can't even run on any of Obama's accomplishments without fear of losing even more voter support. Is Obama so bad that all the Democrats can do is compare him as better than Bush? That's not really setting the bar very high is it?
Hoohumm

Hayward, CA

#15 Oct 9, 2010
So Brad, what is your great solution? Bring a republican back into power so you can invade the remaining 3 of 5 defined in the PNAC (Plan for new American century)?
I have yet to see ANY of your imagined party actually fight for what you say you so adamantly believe is right. So when you or yours step up, rather than claiming a boil on your butt excludes you, people might follow your hollow lead.
One day you complain about stimulus, too much, or too little, next that they ignored unemployment. Did your daddy beat you with a baseball bat because you do not measure up? If you represent anyone, why run a failure for senate, who chose to outsource 30k HP jobs?
Your judgement on budget, tax, and business is just incoherent ramblings of a few sound bites. Even with 3 billion of contributions by off shore, and millionaires to destroy working Americans by your heroes, your really not gaining any ground, are you. Your frantic ramblings trying to distance yourself from you track record is hysterical, but not revising history.
Liberty

San Jose, CA

#16 Oct 9, 2010
Teren,

Are you talking about long term rentals, short term rentals, or boarders?
Steve Hartman

AOL

#17 Oct 9, 2010
Actually, vacation rentals renting other than by leases or month-to-month that are advertised go through a city screening process in Santa Cruz, i.e., Sentinel, Mercury, Pajaronian, and craigslist. Yep, the city wants its cut of TOT taxes and demand them.
Steve Hartman

AOL

#18 Oct 9, 2010
I got seven root canals in one day. They cost $250 apiece. My dentist, who does his continuing education at UCLA, has his office in San Jose....
Uh-h, Costa Rica, that is. I got a nice vacation, paid for food, sightseeing, shopping and lodging - even airfare for far less than a dentist in Santa Cruz charges, and I've got a great dentist to boot. So, I'd suggest you do some hard negotiating with your dentist or ....take a vacation. Also, check with your insurance company if you have one. Many will now approve your out-of-country medical and dental procedures as it saves them money too.
james Bond

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#19 Oct 9, 2010
Soquel by the Creek wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should Democrats be in control again, especially here in California? Easy! Because they currently control the redistricting process and ensure that many career politicians have nice politically safe districts.
Need an example? Look at Proposition 27. Many believe, myself included, that Proposition 27 was the brainchild of Michael Berman of secretive Berman & D'Agostino Campaigns, a man who has been active in many of California's redistricting decisions. How much power did/does Michael Berman wield? In 2001, here's what U.S. Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez said about redistricting and paying Michael Berman for his sage guidance.
"Twenty thousand [dollars] is nothing to keep your seat. I spend $2 million [campaigning] every year. If my colleagues are smart, they'll pay their $20,000, and Michael will draw the district they can win in. Those who have refused to pay? God help them."
And who is Michael Berman's brother? In a sheer coincidence, his brother is U.S. Congressman Howard Berman. Strange, huh?
Who is paying for Proposition 27? It's many of the same self-serving politicians whose political careers would be at risk if they had to compete in free and fair elections. Our local Congressional Representatives Sam Farr and Anna Eshoo are included.
The remainder of the list includes other special interests and well-connected big-money donors that already invested millions of dollars in these same politicians.
VOTE NO ON PROPISITION 27!
Proposition 27 Revealed!
http://soquelbythecreek.blogspot.com/2010/09/...
You are so right. Also take a good look at Prop.25. The so-called balanced budget prop. If you read it completely you'll see there is two points to this prop. The first is to cut Legislators pay if they can't come up with a budget by the deadline. Now most of us would say YES. Well read the rest of the prop. A YES vote will also do away with the 2/3 vote to increase taxes and change it to a simple majority. This prop. should have been two propositions. Make no mistake this was done on purpose. Sacramento wants the simple majority. Californians can't afford it. So a "NO" vote is needed to keep the 2/3 vote and we'll have to try the pay cut later. Sacramento lies and cheats to further their agendas and we need to clean house as soon as possible.
brad

San Jose, CA

#20 Oct 9, 2010
Hoohumm wrote:
So Brad, what is your great solution? Bring a republican back into power so you can invade the remaining 3 of 5 defined in the PNAC (Plan for new American century)?
I have yet to see ANY of your imagined party actually fight for what you say you so adamantly believe is right. So when you or yours step up, rather than claiming a boil on your butt excludes you, people might follow your hollow lead.
One day you complain about stimulus, too much, or too little, next that they ignored unemployment. Did your daddy beat you with a baseball bat because you do not measure up? If you represent anyone, why run a failure for senate, who chose to outsource 30k HP jobs?
Your judgement on budget, tax, and business is just incoherent ramblings of a few sound bites. Even with 3 billion of contributions by off shore, and millionaires to destroy working Americans by your heroes, your really not gaining any ground, are you. Your frantic ramblings trying to distance yourself from you track record is hysterical, but not revising history.
Was there a solution or question in you ramblings? The problem with you is you don't know the difference between a sound bite and a knowledgeable opinion, because you you only see the world through your revisionists progressive glasses. It is obvious you have never run a business, had to make a payroll, try to gauge the future to make decisions decisions about growing, cutting back, hiring and/or firing. I have. You know nothing about business; you know nothing about the affects of taxes on business, you know nothing about the affect of healthcare care costs on business and you simply have no life experience. You think the shills like Paul Krugman are gospel and government can create jobs; here's a clue, government can only create debt, it can not not create jobs. There is no discussing these issues with you because you know all problems are a result of Capitalism; the rant of a Marxists. Maybe someday you may get it; "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!"
CSA41forthepast2 5yrs

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Oct 9, 2010
As a homeowner for the past 31 years, 25+ of which are in the same home on the same small road in Rio del Mar, next to the same home owned by the same people since 1954.

Due to the structural repairs needed because of a sibling renting the place for nine quiet yet destructive years, the home has become a weekend rental, or rental by the day/night/weekend.

Thefts have gone up on this quiet street since.

Communication between the land manager and myself have occurred and since, no rental has occurred. That doesn't mean none will in the future. But my concerns were well taken.

Now, what should I do when the good weather brings those over the hill folks here again...the ones who don't give a care where there expensive party house is for the time they are renting it....

I do believe there has to be an ordinance for short term day/weekend rentals in the cities and county...Our community of DeerPark Estates ridge is NOT a weekend rental community, nor is it a "during the week so we can golf" rental community. There are long term rentals, and that is fine. But this overnight/short term/golfer/party=hearty group business won't work here. I am sure it won't work in most neighborhoods in Santa Cruz county...unless, of course, you are on Beach Drive in Rio del Mar or the like.

I did not purchase a home here for to live with this, nor will I be able to sell and move because of it.

Something must be done, what, I am not sure. If this is a sign of the future, then I can begin to understand why so many friends have moved out of California to nearby states...even out of the country....
Norm

Moorcroft, WY

#23 Oct 9, 2010
Thanks for confirming my suspicion that most republicans are morons. You try to blame the Dems for everything, claim the president isn't really an American and actually believe that by giving tax breaks to millionaires and corporations all problems will be solved. It has never worked and it never will. You decry regulation as an impediment to business and then blame Democrats when the unregulated tycoons nearly destroy the economy. What will it take for you to wake up?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

401K Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stock Options that need to be purchased (vs. ex... May 13 JAMS10 1
401k withdrawal for home purchase May 1 Rayj00 2
Paying Off 401K Loan With 401K Withdrawal? May 1 Rayj00 1
$TKAT Created a stock exchange for ART!! Apr '16 johnsrabon 1
Im fascinated wth this $QBIO interview Apr '16 lyte0ne 1
Primary Home Purchase Apr '16 Jmhimmel 1
Good fundamentals Apr '16 Ner101 1
More from around the web