Body of Missing Hiker Found in Nation...

Body of Missing Hiker Found in National Park

There are 11 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 11, 2013, titled Body of Missing Hiker Found in National Park. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The body of Tyler Keefer was located today in the Dickey Ridge area of the park, marking the end of a multi-day search.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

waynesboro resident

Atlanta, GA

#1 Jul 12, 2013
i have hiked all over and in my opinion trails are not marked well and should offer a printed map and have an emergency shelter with water and a radio to contact when you get lost. signs should be every few hundred feet and not just a blue or white mark on a tree when your so deep in the woods there is nothing but trees in every direction , though you remain on a path you get thrown off as to where on that path you are and which direction to travel and when your unable to pin point it causes panic and an uneasy feeling that i hate.
Steve

Lyndhurst, VA

#2 Jul 12, 2013
waynesboro resident wrote:
i have hiked all over and in my opinion trails are not marked well and should offer a printed map and have an emergency shelter with water and a radio to contact when you get lost. signs should be every few hundred feet and not just a blue or white mark on a tree when your so deep in the woods there is nothing but trees in every direction , though you remain on a path you get thrown off as to where on that path you are and which direction to travel and when your unable to pin point it causes panic and an uneasy feeling that i hate.
Good ideas, but they are expensive. Who's paying for it, when the country can't function as it is?
I'm not judging this situation- I have no idea what happened. But to generalize, people who chose to hike should be better prepared- handheld GPS, cell phone or radio, topographical maps of the area, hike with a partner, especially someone who knows the region well. Why shouldn't the hiker be more responsible, instead of putting the burden on the government to hold their hands?
Again, I am not judging this situation. For all we know, there could have been foul play. Bad things happen, regardless of how prepared a person is. My prayers and thoughts go to the family and friends of Mr. Keefer.
I Left Cville Socialism

Waynesboro, VA

#6 Jul 12, 2013
waynesboro resident wrote:
i have hiked all over and in my opinion trails are not marked well and should offer a printed map and have an emergency shelter with water and a radio to contact when you get lost. signs should be every few hundred feet and not just a blue or white mark on a tree when your so deep in the woods there is nothing but trees in every direction , though you remain on a path you get thrown off as to where on that path you are and which direction to travel and when your unable to pin point it causes panic and an uneasy feeling that i hate.
If your outdoors skills are that poor and you don't properly prepare and equip yourself, then a similar fate awaits. Nothing wrong with USGS quadrangles and a compass in your pack, along with a few other essentials.

Be Prepared
WTH

Waynesboro, VA

#7 Jul 12, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Good ideas, but they are expensive. Who's paying for it, when the country can't function as it is?
I'm not judging this situation- I have no idea what happened. But to generalize, people who chose to hike should be better prepared- handheld GPS, cell phone or radio, topographical maps of the area, hike with a partner, especially someone who knows the region well. Why shouldn't the hiker be more responsible, instead of putting the burden on the government to hold their hands?
Again, I am not judging this situation. For all we know, there could have been foul play. Bad things happen, regardless of how prepared a person is. My prayers and thoughts go to the family and friends of Mr. Keefer.
BRAVO! I could not have said it better. Thank you. If you want hike with all of the safety features enabled, visit Disney World.
native

United States

#8 Jul 12, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Good ideas, but they are expensive. Who's paying for it, when the country can't function as it is?
I'm not judging this situation- I have no idea what happened. But to generalize, people who chose to hike should be better prepared- handheld GPS, cell phone or radio, topographical maps of the area, hike with a partner, especially someone who knows the region well. Why shouldn't the hiker be more responsible, instead of putting the burden on the government to hold their hands?
Again, I am not judging this situation. For all we know, there could have been foul play. Bad things happen, regardless of how prepared a person is. My prayers and thoughts go to the family and friends of Mr. Keefer.
I have hiked this park for over forty years, before cell phones and GPS. Even on familiar trails that i frequent there are three things with me; a map, a compass and the knowledge of how to use them. I also carry a cell phone and a GPS but due to lack of phone coverage and multi-path satellite reflections I do not completely rely on there dependability. All must realize these trails are maintained by volunteers who do a very good job at keeping them up as well as marking them; and you to can sign up to assist. While lack of experience on your behalves [both of you] does not justify signs every 100 feet or so since that would just create an eye sore in a wonderful environment. If you venture out into the wilds of nature there are risk but several things you should do will mitigate them. first tell someone the details of your plan and then stay with the plan. second take a buddy along. while we do not know the details of this lost sole the two things I mention along with a map, compass and skills may have resulted in this young man returning safely with only minor delays.
Tiffany Ann Shiflett

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jul 13, 2013
waynesboro resident wrote:
i have hiked all over and in my opinion trails are not marked well and should offer a printed map and have an emergency shelter with water and a radio to contact when you get lost. signs should be every few hundred feet and not just a blue or white mark on a tree when your so deep in the woods there is nothing but trees in every direction , though you remain on a path you get thrown off as to where on that path you are and which direction to travel and when your unable to pin point it causes panic and an uneasy feeling that i hate.
stay at home!
Diane

Richmond, VA

#10 Jul 13, 2013
This young man lost his way, but not on the trails, he took his own life. I feel badly for him and his family. Depression is such a huge problem. My thoughts are with his family.
Jessica

United States

#11 Jul 14, 2013
Diane wrote:
This young man lost his way, but not on the trails, he took his own life. I feel badly for him and his family. Depression is such a huge problem. My thoughts are with his family.
Diane - did you know him? How do you know he took his own life?
Mountain

Paducah, KY

#12 Jul 15, 2013
Diane wrote:
This young man lost his way, but not on the trails, he took his own life. I feel badly for him and his family. Depression is such a huge problem. My thoughts are with his family.
I don't know if this particular case was suicide or not, but suicide in national parks is not uncommon. There are usually several suicides and suicide attempts in Shenandoah every year, most go unreported for obvious reasons.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm59...

Globally, perhaps the most famous example is Aokigahara, Japan's "Suicide Forest"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara

Very sad regardless the particular circumstances, my thoughts and condolences to the family.
Wasted opportunity

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jul 15, 2013
Diane wrote:
This young man lost his way, but not on the trails, he took his own life. I feel badly for him and his family. Depression is such a huge problem. My thoughts are with his family.
Amazing how some people can't wait to blab what they "know". I have no ties to this at all but even if you do know "Diane" it's none of your business to post this information on a public forum. If you feel so bad why make a point of posting something that obviously the family/police didn't feel the need to disclose yet...
Mary

Southfield, MI

#14 Jul 16, 2013
Wasted opportunity wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazing how some people can't wait to blab what they "know". I have no ties to this at all but even if you do know "Diane" it's none of your business to post this information on a public forum. If you feel so bad why make a point of posting something that obviously the family/police didn't feel the need to disclose yet...
If you are one of those that wait for the media and police to "disclose" information, then you are one of the uninformed and brainwashed. There is so much in this area that goes untold, all should be watching over their shoulders and looking side to side.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shenandoah National Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Animal Liberation Front Visits Scott Dean's D&S... (Oct '12) Feb '15 Animal Liberation... 2
News Waynesboro Man Faces Multiple Rape, Sexual Assa... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Az Gramma 66
News Dick Woods Road Remains Closed Through Weekend (Jul '13) Jul '13 Eaglescout1984 6
News Group Opposes Madison Proposal to Reopen Shenan... (May '13) Jun '13 Dodson 49
News UVA Grad Student to Run for Charlottesville Cou... (Apr '13) Apr '13 sez you 7
News Public Hearing Held on Disease Affecting Deer i... (Mar '13) Mar '13 sez you 19
News Shenandoah National Park Expects Sequestration ... (Feb '13) Mar '13 sez you 25
More from around the web