Thieves take controversial Mojave Desert cross

May 12, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Nevada Appeal

This undated photo taken by Henry and Wanda Sandoz and made available Wednesday, Oct.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Judged:

when found they must be hanged until dead!!!

http://wwwamericanpatriot-vance.blogspot.com/
Mercy

Paradise, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Judged:

This cross means alot to many
veterans so plese help replace
it and the guys who did this
shame on you! Your Grandma in
heaven is watching YOU!!!

Since: Oct 07

San Jose, Ca

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Judged:

It is a shame that the site was vandalized. It is important to remember and honor those who died so that we might live. But what about veterans who are of a religion other than Christianity? Yes, there are other faiths out there fighting for the USA, so should not there be a Star of David and a Solar Cross up there as well?
Mark

Desert Hot Springs, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Judged:

When this cross was place, I would guess there was not any thought of political correctness. It was about the people who served. When the crap hit the fan, you're not really concerned with race or religon, you're concerned about survival. The people who served understood that and they understood the cross too.
Stop the madness

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Judged:

BuzzTick wrote:
It is a shame that the site was vandalized. It is important to remember and honor those who died so that we might live. But what about veterans who are of a religion other than Christianity? Yes, there are other faiths out there fighting for the USA, so should not there be a Star of David and a Solar Cross up there as well?
The cross has been there since 1934--I would guess that this country was predominately Christian-no Muslims and very few athiests. Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is a solar cross? The theft of the cross was small-minded and dirty. I suspect it might have been done by people involved in the quest for it's removal.
conaire

Fort Dodge, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Symbolism celebrating substance.

hooah
Or Maybe

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2010

Judged:

conaire wrote:
Symbolism celebrating substance.
hooah
Symbolism celebrating stupidity.
Duck and Cover

Saint Augustine, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2010

The Supreme Court has vacillated on these cases for years, sometimes ordering the removal of religious icons from public places, other times not. Until the court consistently rules that religious signs have no place in government venues, itís certain that there will be more cases like this in the future.

If this had really been about a display honoring veterans, the simple solution would have been to just replace the cross with a secular memorial that had no religious significance.
But unfortunately, this, once again, became a battle of ideologies. Now, the vandalism--regardless of who committed it--only ensures that the battle will continue.

In the 75 years since the cross was erected, there has been a growing diversity of religious viewpoints in this country, as well as a marked shift away from any religious belief at all by younger people. So unless there are going to be symbols that reflect every religious and non-religious viewpoint in every venue, maybe itís time to finally enforce the establishment clause and stop wasting any more time and money on these types of cases.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

Judged:

Vance1 wrote:
when found they must be hanged until dead!!!
For stealing some iron pipes?

Paradise Valley Arizona

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

laojim wrote:
<quoted text>
For stealing some iron pipes?
YEA WRIGHT!!!!!!! just pipes.......WTF are you smoking?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

Judged:

Vance1 wrote:
<quoted text>
YEA WRIGHT!!!!!!! just pipes.......WTF are you smoking?
A couple of iron pipes. It isn't like it was a labor of love and dedication. Someone stuck up a couple of pipes and called it a monument. They argued over it and now the pipes are gone so the argument is over.
namvet132

Fort Dodge, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

Judged:

laojim wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of iron pipes. It isn't like it was a labor of love and dedication. Someone stuck up a couple of pipes and called it a monument. They argued over it and now the pipes are gone so the argument is over.
Yo toejam..... It is apparent you do not know the history of the cross. Study it then come back and make a knowledgeable post.
Anything pertaining to or educating future generations of the brutality of War is not to be taken lightly.
Nor fuc_ked with.

If it was just a couple of pipes stuck in the ground do you really think there would be such an impassioned outrage over this act of doltishness?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

Judged:

namvet132 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo toejam..... It is apparent you do not know the history of the cross. Study it then come back and make a knowledgeable post.
Anything pertaining to or educating future generations of the brutality of War is not to be taken lightly.
Nor fuc_ked with.
If it was just a couple of pipes stuck in the ground do you really think there would be such an impassioned outrage over this act of doltishness?
Well if the education of generations is what you want perhaps something a little more to the point of the brutality where people can see it might be in order rather than this now moot squabble about a fairly remote bit of government land. Perhaps you might go get to work on a design.
conaire

Fort Dodge, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

laojim wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if the education of generations is what you want perhaps something a little more to the point of the brutality where people can see it might be in order rather than this now moot squabble about a fairly remote bit of government land. Perhaps you might go get to work on a design.
If it is such a "moot" squabble why did you chime in?
Ever been to a National Cemetery?
I'm way ahead of you regarding war memorial design work.
What do you hold as a symbol of your belief(s)? Your other hand?
Have you educated yourself on this memorial yet?

Good grief Charley Brown ..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

Judged:

conaire wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is such a "moot" squabble why did you chime in?
Ever been to a National Cemetery?
I'm way ahead of you regarding war memorial design work.
What do you hold as a symbol of your belief(s)? Your other hand?
Have you educated yourself on this memorial yet?
Good grief Charley Brown ..
It is moot in that it makes no difference how it is decided and therefore is, most likely, no longer a matter of litigation. I find it an interesting turn of events just because many people were claiming that the case had been decided in favor of keeping the cross, which was not correct, and not there is no case to decide so the case dies. The location is not a National Cemetery, but a National Preserve administered by the park service, and, like similar preserves is intended as a nature preserve for the distinctive flora and fauna of the area. It was not intended as a war memorial or a grave yard.

It is nice to know that your war memorial design work is advanced. Personally I like the one in Indianapolis. Perhaps your design skills will be useful in the future is someone should propose a monument on the site formerly occupied by the cross.

Paradise Valley Arizona

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

Judged:

I will volunteer to Build another Cross and this time I would make it 12'

F U Liberals Atheist Pukes!!!!!!!!!
conaire

Fort Dodge, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

laojim wrote:
<quoted text>
It is moot in that it makes no difference how it is decided and therefore is, most likely, no longer a matter of litigation. I find it an interesting turn of events just because many people were claiming that the case had been decided in favor of keeping the cross, which was not correct, and not there is no case to decide so the case dies. The location is not a National Cemetery, but a National Preserve administered by the park service, and, like similar preserves is intended as a nature preserve for the distinctive flora and fauna of the area. It was not intended as a war memorial or a grave yard.
It is nice to know that your war memorial design work is advanced. Personally I like the one in Indianapolis. Perhaps your design skills will be useful in the future is someone should propose a monument on the site formerly occupied by the cross.
You aren't very inventive are you? Pretty good bob and weave with a side of shuck and jive.
1. I assume you are aware today is Armed Forces Day.
2. Since you dodged the question of visiting a National Cemetery I must be correct in my assumption you haven't.
3. Since when did that area become a graveyard?
4. If there is no case why did you bring it up?
5. If there is no case how can it die?
6. I said nothing or did I insinuate this preserve was a National Cemetery.
7. Correct me if I am wrong but this cross was installed long before the area was declared a N.P..
8. It seems you have been a little to close to the flora and fauna. Made a bit of Mormon Tea for breakfast did ya?
9. Should I be requested to assist in a Memorial to our fallen Servicemen or Servicewomen you will be the first person I notify.
peace

Paradise Valley Arizona

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

Liberals are real and true Pieces of SHYT!!!!!!

http://wwwamericanpatriot-vance.blogspot.com/

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2010

Judged:

Vance1 wrote:
I will volunteer to Build another Cross and this time I would make it 12'
F U Liberals Atheist Pukes!!!!!!!!!
Well, hero, perhaps you should apply for a permit to build your little monument and some day, if the permit is approved, you can put it up. Be sure to put the twelve feet part in your design specs and application. Good luck.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2010

conaire wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't very inventive are you? Pretty good bob and weave with a side of shuck and jive.
1. I assume you are aware today is Armed Forces Day.
2. Since you dodged the question of visiting a National Cemetery I must be correct in my assumption you haven't.
3. Since when did that area become a graveyard?
4. If there is no case why did you bring it up?
5. If there is no case how can it die?
6. I said nothing or did I insinuate this preserve was a National Cemetery.
7. Correct me if I am wrong but this cross was installed long before the area was declared a N.P..
8. It seems you have been a little to close to the flora and fauna. Made a bit of Mormon Tea for breakfast did ya?
9. Should I be requested to assist in a Memorial to our fallen Servicemen or Servicewomen you will be the first person I notify.
peace
Why notify me? I have no interest in your monument building, as long as you abide by the law.

"Correct me if I'm wrong" you write. You don't really know anything about this, do you?

You seem to ask when the Mojave Preserve became a graveyard. You really don't know anything about this, do you?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mojave National Preserve Discussions

Search the Mojave National Preserve Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
This short, scenic Mojave train tour was a long... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Christopher Keller 1
Mojave Cross battle (Sep '10) Sep '10 Jack Corsaut 1
A cross in a national park in the Mojave Desert... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Jack Corsaut 1
Disputed Mojave cross honoring U.S. war dead st... (May '10) May '10 Tamerlane 28
Supreme Court Refuses to Ban Mojave Cross (Apr '10) May '10 Lucys_Fur_Coat 51
'Mojave Cross' Stolen; Was Subject Of Recent Su... (May '10) May '10 laojim 1
High court supports Mojave cross in Calif. (Apr '10) May '10 Deng 29
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••