Tree that 'witnessed' Gettysburg battle comes down

Sep 2, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Evening Sun

National park officials say a white oak tree that stood during an epic Civil War battle in Pennsylvania will be removed for safety reasons.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Better Idea

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2009

There has been more then 3 that have been cut down you twit sister you might be able to shovel that stink to the outsiders who think the park is on the up an up but the locals know better!

Someone with power has to grab these people and get them all out of there they lie threw there teeth each and every day!

Try again King Spinner and Court Jester how long did it take to come up with this story!
greg gober

Newark, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2009

Without getting into the debate about safety issues there remains a complicated issue between preserving what is historical and what is non-hisotical and what is private land and what is owned by the park service. The tree that was cut down last week was pushing 200 years when it was cut down but the park service contractors did not even leave a small potion of the stump for visitors to see. The house it threatened damage to in the future is privately owned and not present during the battle. So a landmark of the battle is cut down to protect a non historical house that should have never been there in the first place if preservation efforts to restore the site to pre-battle conditions had been followed. On the positive side there are several remaining witness trees within a couple of hundred feet of the removed tree which actually have park tags on them and I estimate on my findings and research that there are between 500 to a thousand 146 year old plus trees on the park lands waiting to be discovered but the park service claims that it does not have the time and resources available to find them. So anyone interested in some independent research on the weekends ?
lorenzo

Pasadena, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2009

gettysburg military park should feature lincoln's gettysburg address on the quarter.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••