Touring Gettysburg on horseback for family vacation takes riders back in time

Jun 18, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Winnipeg Free Press

This April 12, 2012 photo shows the Nussbaum family, from left, father Rob, daughter Madigan, 9, mother Nancy and Nicole Nussbaum,14, while on a horseback tour through the Spangler farm which served as a field hospital during and after the July 1-3 1863 battle in Gettysburg, Pa., a turning point in the Civil War.

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Jun 20, 2012

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Totally coool...this is the ONLY way to tour the battlefield...
Davenport

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 19, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Or they've found perfect town in which to allow a constipated horse to take a dump. And then ride on to somewhere else.

Don't worry, it'll get shoveled up. Then battered, fried and served as a staff meal for a mop-wielding yokel.
Pink Eye

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 19, 2012
 

Judged:

1

The locals who HATE tourists aren't going to like this one bit. Now they'll have to deal with tourists on horses too.
Will the madness ever end?
Will Gettysburg ever be at peace?
Will a casino ever come to town?
Stay tuned bat fans, same bat time same bat channel
Pink Eye

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 19, 2012
 
Horses Crapping and me crapping in my pants it goes well together

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 19, 2012
 
Pink Eye wrote:
The locals who HATE tourists aren't going to like this one bit. Now they'll have to deal with tourists on horses too.
Will the madness ever end?
Will Gettysburg ever be at peace?
Will a casino ever come to town?
Stay tuned bat fans, same bat time same bat channel
Without the tourists..Gettysburg would be a Ghost Town. Because, even tho The Casino and the Waterpark may have been an attraction and created bucks for the town itself..the tourists would be still adding to the revenue. Oh, these folks need to get over it..or tumbleweeds will be their next best friend..

Since: Mar 11

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 19, 2012
 
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>Without the tourists..Gettysburg would be a Ghost Town. Because, even tho The Casino and the Waterpark may have been an attraction and created bucks for the town itself..the tourists would be still adding to the revenue. Oh, these folks need to get over it..or tumbleweeds will be their next best friend..
Chick, and interesting comment, but who keeps brining up the C word in every topic. It is not anyone local it is always people who do not live here.

People in Gettysburg do not dislike tourist, or most tourist that is. Most of the tourist who visit our area are good people who come to enjoy the local history and other attractions and events we have to offer.

What we dont like, is people who visit, and some who have never been here, telling us how to live our lives.

We have much to offer, and those who do visit often want to return again. Our biggest problem in the area is that all we have is the history, and agriculture. For the true history enthusiast Gettysburg will always be a Mecca no matter what happens here. We could have a casino, a water park, an amusement park and 50 story highrise buildings. Those who want to study the history will always want to visit Gettysburg.

But all of our eggs are in that one basket. We do not attract the casual historian who does not want to spend 24/7 on the battlefield and studying history. We need to diversify and have other things to attract both historians and casual visitors to our area.

Believe me, most of those who live here love it and would not care to live anyplace else.

Yes we have many of the same problems that most other communities have. But just because others have the same problems, does that mean we should accept things as status quo and not try to change or improve things for ourselves and our neighbors?

The two biggest differences between Gettysburg and other communities is that we have the Gettysburg National Military Park that remembers what is arguably the largest battle fought on United States soil, there for there are many people who do not live here, who think they should control what goes on in this area, on private property that is not owned by the federal government.

The 6,000 acres operated by the Gettysburg National Military Park are federal property and are controlled by the government, but that land not controlled by the GNMP is private land that should be controlled by the local governments, and the local people.
Davenport

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 19, 2012
 
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>Without the tourists..Gettysburg would be a Ghost Town. Because, even tho The Casino and the Waterpark may have been an attraction and created bucks for the town itself..the tourists would be still adding to the revenue. Oh, these folks need to get over it..or tumbleweeds will be their next best friend..
A very accurate comment.

Notice how the prior response had one sentence which tried to minimize the fact that you are 100% correct and then paragraph after paragraph of droning on and on trying to obfuscate the main issue.

The issue is that the yokels are ruining this town. They are unsophisticated fools who have no business even pretending to wield such authority.

They will try to play their shell game and hide the problem (yokels) in a haystack of lies.

I, for one, would rather see the federal government exercise it's power of eminent domain over the whole area, pay us landowners and other titleholders off, and declare the area off-limits to yokels.

Since: Mar 11

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 20, 2012
 
Davenport wrote:
<quoted text>
A very accurate comment.
Notice how the prior response had one sentence which tried to minimize the fact that you are 100% correct and then paragraph after paragraph of droning on and on trying to obfuscate the main issue.
The issue is that the yokels are ruining this town. They are unsophisticated fools who have no business even pretending to wield such authority.
They will try to play their shell game and hide the problem (yokels) in a haystack of lies.
I, for one, would rather see the federal government exercise it's power of eminent domain over the whole area, pay us landowners and other titleholders off, and declare the area off-limits to yokels.
So you agree that until the government actually owns the property it is up to the local government to control it, no matter how incompetent YOU may think they are?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••