Asbestos not a factor in possible dis...

Asbestos not a factor in possible disposal of Electric Map

There are 62 comments on the Evening Sun story from Feb 13, 2012, titled Asbestos not a factor in possible disposal of Electric Map. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

The very features that made the Electric Map a favorite among Gettysburg tourists might also bring about the end of the nostalgic attraction.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#21 Mar 28, 2012
1. Yes i admit i am smug, and you are right, i don't know more than ANYONE else - just the vast majority of people on here (including you).

2. Thinking doesn't hurt me. Thinking about how BAD that electric map was, does.

3. You fail. You fail you fail you fail. You fail to understand why the movie isn't just about Gettysburg. Again. I'm not explaining it to you again cos u just don't get it. You're in the minority anyway, all prominent historians and notable people can understand and appreciate why the movie is the way it is. Your loss. Like i said before, it wasn't designed with YOU in mind, so you're never gonna like it. Millions others will though, so nobody cares. We won't miss you while you're in Harrisburg. Enjoy.
Thank you so very much

Hanover, PA

#22 Mar 29, 2012
The Voice wrote:
1. Yes i admit i am smug, and you are right, i don't know more than ANYONE else - just the vast majority of people on here (including you).
Do I understand this to say, that you are no smarter than, but just as smart as everyone who has the same opinion as you, but much smarter than anyone who disagrees with you or has a different opinion?
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#23 Mar 29, 2012
Just smarter than those that disagree with the facts. You can't have opinions about facts. You can DISLIKE the facts, but you can't argue with them.
AC Native

Carlisle, PA

#24 Mar 29, 2012
The Voice wrote:
You can DISLIKE the facts, but you can't argue with them.
Please give some documentation to support those "facts". Seems your "knowledge" relies heavily on personal opinion, which by your own statement you cannot dispute, only dislike. Surely you know that the term "many" cannot be used as a plausible argument to support your opinions as fact.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#25 Mar 29, 2012
Fact #1 - The map is old, VERY old.

Fact #2 - It contains asbestos.

I don't need documentation to support these facts. When something's a fact, it is exactly that.
AC Native

Carlisle, PA

#26 Mar 29, 2012
The Voice wrote:
Fact #1 - The map is old, VERY old.
Fact #2 - It contains asbestos.
I don't need documentation to support these facts. When something's a fact, it is exactly that.
Yes, it is. Not disputing that. I'm disputing your categorization of the subjective term "many" as fact. Next!
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#27 Mar 29, 2012
sorry, you're gonna have to quote my use of "many" there, AC Native. As quoting is what you seem to be good at.
AC Native

Carlisle, PA

#28 Mar 29, 2012
The Voice wrote:
sorry, you're gonna have to quote my use of "many" there, AC Native. As quoting is what you seem to be good at.
"many". And deflection from the point is not an answer. Next!
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#30 Mar 29, 2012
Hahaha, you cannot back up your lame argument because i didn't say "many" anywhere and YOU KNOW IT. I think you'll find - if you look back through the posts - that people like 'Deja Vu' and 'Really' were the ones overusing the word "many" to try and bolster their opinions.

You really must try harder.
AC Native

Carlisle, PA

#31 Mar 29, 2012
The Voice wrote:
Hahaha, you cannot back up your lame argument because i didn't say "many" anywhere and YOU KNOW IT. I think you'll find - if you look back through the posts - that people like 'Deja Vu' and 'Really' were the ones overusing the word "many" to try and bolster their opinions.
You really must try harder.
Surely someone as intelligent as yourself can understand that the use of quotations around a word does not necessarily represent a literal use of the word "many"? You are correct, you didn't use the word "many" however, may I refer you to your posts number 11, 14 and 21. In post #11 you write "Actually the movie is pretty accurate, so you don't know what you're talking about. AND I happen to know a lot of people like it. I have met more people here in Gettysburg that prefer it over the map." In post #14 you write
"Really, you're wrong. You live in NC, I live in Gettysburg. How many people do you think I meet compared to you? Therefore the opinions of the people I have spoken to, blow yours outta the water. It's a simple numbers game." In post #21 you write
"Yes I admit I am smug, and you are right, I don't know more than ANYONE else - just the vast majority of people on here (including you)."
Please note that these are direct quotes from your posts, as evidenced by the quote symbols. Now, please provide some numbers and other documentation that support these statements as fact otherwise they will forever be considered as opinions, just as Deja Vu and Really's posts.'Kay?

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#32 Mar 29, 2012
Take the FREAKIN' electric map and dispose of it properly...it it has asbestos in it..don't ya think the toxins were released when electricl currents warmth circulated throughout the object itself...wonder if any of the workers where this map was displayed ever had health issues after they left there...just another point has been made aware of concerning NOW the substance this map's material contained...Hmmmmm...
Fire Marshal Bill

Gettysburg, PA

#33 Mar 29, 2012
The Voice wrote:
Fact #1 - The map is old, VERY old.
Fact #2 - It contains asbestos.
I don't need documentation to support these facts. When something's a fact, it is exactly that.
Your above facts are true. But "your opinion" that is has outlived its useful life is only your opinion.

Although we can't make it any newer, it can be updated.

Yes it contains asbestos, but that can be taken care of if someone wants to.

One idea I have seen presented was to make a fiberglass mold of the existing map, and updating the electronics thus, "preserving" it.

Although you have talked to people who hate it, I would wager I have spoken with almost as many who loved it.

Yes it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and technology, but I still profess that it is one of the best ways to truly understand things that happened here.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#34 Mar 29, 2012
If it was that good, it never would have gone away in the first place would it?

Just face it, not enough people care about it otherwise it would be still around or it would be brought back. It'll be 4 years this year since someone had the common sense to dismantle it. Don't hold your breath that the NPS bring it back anytime soon. Just move on, the whole discussion is starting to get boring...just like the map itself.

Also, the tv screens in the museum make up for not having the map, as they show troop movements just as well - if not better. So stop crying. You can say what you want about the movie but don't try and make out like the 'Nap' was the ONLY thing capable of helping people understand things.
whomever

Northville, MI

#35 Mar 29, 2012
It "went away" because some moronic color blind guy named Latschar didn't want it. Thankfully he's gone to dabble with his porn addiction. Of course, unless he's back with yet another alias.
If the movie is so great why do they keep crying they're losing money? You're shilling got old years ago.
AC Native

Carlisle, PA

#36 Mar 29, 2012
The Voice wrote:
If it was that good, it never would have gone away in the first place would it?
Got any proof to back up that statement, oh wise one, or should we just add that to the rest of your repertoire of statements posing as fact?
The Voice wrote:
Don't hold your breath that the NPS bring it back anytime soon.
Please show me where anyone has said that they are looking for the NPS to bring it back? It does seem odd though that the NPS would take the time to dismantle and store something that you think is so "antiquated",don't you think? Why not just trash it when they demolished the old Visitor's Center if that was the case? Oh, that's right, it contained ASBESTOS! Let me rephrase that. Why didn't they dispose of the map properly when they tore down the old Visitor's Center? Could it be that it meant more to some than YOU thought?
The Voice wrote:
Also, the tv screens in the museum make up for not having the map, as they show troop movements just as well - if not better. So stop crying.
Let me correct this for you. "Also, IN MY OPINION, the TV screens in the museum make up for not having the map, as they show troop movements as well- if not better."
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#37 Mar 29, 2012
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You guys are HILARIOUS!!

Yeah i have got proof that it wasn't that good...because if it WAS, then Latschar wouldn't have gotten rid of it whether he was color-blind or not!! Use your brain. If something's THAT GOOD then everyone would like it, especially the people in charge of it who are making money off of it. Color-blindness wasn't the only reason he didn't like it, he said it was antiquated, boring, etc -'nuff said. God Bless you John.

And no, the troop movements ARE better on the screens in the museum. But you'd need a brain to figure that one out. How come ALL tv shows and books use similar methods to show troop movements then? Why don't they hook up some simple lighting system, film that and then show it on tv if it was so AMAZING? Because it wouldn't be, it would be boring. There was no details in the electric map (regiment number, terrain details, keys, etc) and so is actually one of the WORST ways to explain the battle. You need to see troop movements overlaid onto a map with details of the regiments etc (just like in any good book on the battle) to fully understand. You're wrong, and i and the majority (that's people who produce such tv shows and books before you open your mouth) are RIGHT.
AC Native

Carlisle, PA

#38 Mar 29, 2012
The Voice wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You guys are HILARIOUS!!
Yeah i have got proof that it wasn't that good...because if it WAS, then Latschar wouldn't have gotten rid of it whether he was color-blind or not!! Use your brain. If something's THAT GOOD then everyone would like it, especially the people in charge of it who are making money off of it. Color-blindness wasn't the only reason he didn't like it, he said it was antiquated, boring, etc -'nuff said. God Bless you John.
And no, the troop movements ARE better on the screens in the museum. But you'd need a brain to figure that one out. How come ALL tv shows and books use similar methods to show troop movements then? Why don't they hook up some simple lighting system, film that and then show it on tv if it was so AMAZING? Because it wouldn't be, it would be boring. There was no details in the electric map (regiment number, terrain details, keys, etc) and so is actually one of the WORST ways to explain the battle. You need to see troop movements overlaid onto a map with details of the regiments etc (just like in any good book on the battle) to fully understand. You're wrong, and i and the majority (that's people who produce such tv shows and books before you open your mouth) are RIGHT.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....t hat is far from proof, you simple fool! Please forgive me if I don't take your word for it, or your buddy Latschar. Why, you probably believe that the game pie at the Farnsworth House is actually game, too.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#39 Mar 29, 2012
It IS proof. AS soon as Latschar wasn't in charge anymore, why didn't they just bring it back then? Because NOBODY ELSE wanted it - it's pretty simple! Good God. Think about it.

And try addressing my second point or have you chickened out?
AC Native

Carlisle, PA

#40 Mar 29, 2012
The Voice wrote:
It IS proof. AS soon as Latschar wasn't in charge anymore, why didn't they just bring it back then? Because NOBODY ELSE wanted it - it's pretty simple! Good God. Think about it.
And try addressing my second point or have you chickened out?
Good Lord, are you really that dense? Trying to make a point with you is like trying to nail Jello to a tree. I don't care whether you are right or wrong, I am addressing the fact that you are making subjective statements and claiming they are factual, including this one. Who's "NOBODY ELSE" by the way? Got a name to put with that?

PS. As far as your second point, I am not that interested in the subject of the battle as far as the troops and their movements, however that doesn't mean that I don't respect those that are interested in that type of thing. To each their own. Perhaps you should try it sometime.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#41 Mar 30, 2012
Nobody else as in nobody else. If the only thing standing in the way of the map was Latschar, and Latschar only (as everyone keeps banging on about), then why didn't they bring it back AS SOON as his time was over? ANSWER THAT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gettysburg National Military Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Protests planned at Gettysburg battlefield this... 17 hr Pink Eye 8
News Well, It Looks Like Progressives Decided Not To... Jul 13 Fitus T Bluster 7
News Gettysburg Burning May '17 Fitus T Bluster 12
News Park Service to burn parts of Gettysburga (Sep '16) Mar '17 Glass of Port 6
News Park Service plans fire on Gettysburg battlefield (Sep '15) Oct '16 Pink Eye 4
News Gettysburg Bookstore Pulls Confederate Flag Mer... (Jun '15) Oct '16 Papa Boner 5
News Gettysburg to become 'sister' to Japanese city (Aug '16) Aug '16 Sekigahara Stinks 1
More from around the web