Asbestos not a factor in possible disposal of Electric Map

Feb 13, 2012 Full story: Evening Sun 62

The very features that made the Electric Map a favorite among Gettysburg tourists might also bring about the end of the nostalgic attraction.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#1 Feb 13, 2012
WHY THE FREAK is this electric map such a big issue..either use it elsewhere, auction it off or sell it for scrap...move along, please...thank you!

Judged:

19

17

7

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#2 Mar 23, 2012
It isn't an issue. Not with the people who disliked it and thought it was antiquated (me included!). The only people who care are older people and seniors who remember seeing it YEARS ago and remember it being better that it actually was (which happens a lot in life, people tend to "nostalgia-fy' things). Let's face it it wasn't very exciting. I happen to have 'inside knowledge' of the map and it cannot be used again because it contains asbestos, as the headline states. There are other reasons too why it won't ever be brought back though - as if one really needs any more reasons! I don't really care to hear about it ever again too!

Judged:

20

15

14

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
whomever

Blackwood, NJ

#3 Mar 23, 2012
Good Lord, Latschar's back spewing his same old bs.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#4 Mar 23, 2012
Whomever - if u can't put your argument across better than that then don't bother. Such a waste of a comment.

It would be more productive to explain WHY it is 'bs' as you so eloquently put it.'Kay?

And there's no denying the fact that it was antiquated. Do you actually know when it was created and when the audio for it was recorded? Think about that for a min.

I guess you're also the sort of person (who's probably close or over the age of 60) who thinks that The Hall of Presidents is a decent attraction too! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Next!

Judged:

15

13

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Really

Greensboro, NC

#5 Mar 26, 2012
The Voice wrote:
Whomever - if u can't put your argument across better than that then don't bother. Such a waste of a comment.
It would be more productive to explain WHY it is 'bs' as you so eloquently put it.'Kay?
And there's no denying the fact that it was antiquated. Do you actually know when it was created and when the audio for it was recorded? Think about that for a min.
I guess you're also the sort of person (who's probably close or over the age of 60) who thinks that The Hall of Presidents is a decent attraction too! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Next!
Compared to that joke of a "movie" the map was better. At least the map actualy told about the battle, over half of that "movie" has nothing to do with the battle. Also I am in my early 30's.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#6 Mar 26, 2012
I'll take half a movie about the Battle over that piece of crap electric map anyday.

Next!

Judged:

12

11

8

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Voice of Experience

York, PA

#7 Mar 27, 2012
The Voice wrote:
And there's no denying the fact that it was antiquated. Do you actually know when it was created and when the audio for it was recorded? Think about that for a min.
There's no denying that Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address is antiquated either. Why, I don't believe the audio was EVER recorded, just a couple of scraps of paper with the speech written on it lying around. Think about that for a min.'Kay?
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#8 Mar 27, 2012
Really, is that the best you can do? They didn't have the technology to record Abraham Lincoln's voice back then, stoopid!

Just face it the Electric Map was dated and hokey and almost as bad as the terrible Hall of Presidents. Only thing it would be good for now would be to look at it and have a good chuckle, which is exactly what most people do in the Hall of Presidents. That place is SO OLD that one of the arms fell off one of the Presidents, the audio was out of sync, and the spotlight was on the wrong person when i visited once. When i think about it i probably had more fun there then i did watching the Electric Crap. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHARRRGGGH!!!!!!
Deja vu

Gettysburg, PA

#9 Mar 27, 2012
The Voice wrote:
Really, is that the best you can do? They didn't have the technology to record Abraham Lincoln's voice back then, stoopid!
Just face it the Electric Map was dated and hokey and almost as bad as the terrible Hall of Presidents. Only thing it would be good for now would be to look at it and have a good chuckle, which is exactly what most people do in the Hall of Presidents. That place is SO OLD that one of the arms fell off one of the Presidents, the audio was out of sync, and the spotlight was on the wrong person when i visited once. When i think about it i probably had more fun there then i did watching the Electric Crap. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHARRRGGGH!!!!!!
I am sure you are much better educated in such things than I am. I understand the audio was recorded years ago, but has the history changed? Did General Lee take some different action since this program was recorded? Did General Meade make some different decisions?

Yes, technology has changed, the kids of today would probably be much better entertained with a well-prepared video presentation, and perhaps they would be more inclined to pay attention if one of their current heartthrobs were narrating it.

The electric map being three-dimensional gave a very good understanding of the terrain of the land, and the troop movements that was very easy to understand.

As to the asbestos problem, as long as the fibers can’t become air born, it is not a problem. A coat of paint may be able seal it so that the fibers can’t become dislodged.

The electrical systems could probably be upgraded to allow for the use of LEDs thus reducing the electrical energy requirements for this unit, and I will admit probably a more updated sound system would be desirable but of course, anywhere it is put that would be done.

There are many people both young and hold who feel that the “old” electric map gave them a better understanding of troop movements and positions than anything else they have seen.

It may be old, but it isn’t necessarily useless, or outdated that it could no be updated and become popular again.
Really

Greensboro, NC

#10 Mar 27, 2012
The Voice wrote:
I'll take half a movie about the Battle over that piece of crap electric map anyday.
Next!
So, you would rather half half a movie from a questionable company that has made many mistakes in there so-called history programs instead of people how studied it to get it as close to acurate as posible. You really are one of those who prefer instant gratification over actual work aren't you. You got to have those bangs and whistles don't you.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#11 Mar 27, 2012
Actually the movie is pretty accurate, so you don't know what you're talking about. AND i happen to know a lot of people like it. I have met more people here in Gettysburg that prefer it over the map. You may as well dry your eyes and just get over it, it ain't EVER coming back - and i for one am GLAD.

Deja Vu - thank you for your educated, intelligent comment. You made some good points. As someone who has inside knowledge, i can tell you that the Park Service have considered making a much more modern version of the map (let's face it,'more modern' is what we need today cos the old one ain't gonna impress the kids!) but it's very early days yet, so we'll just have to wait and see with that one. But the old one will NEVER come back.
Really

Greensboro, NC

#12 Mar 27, 2012
The Voice wrote:
Actually the movie is pretty accurate, so you don't know what you're talking about. AND i happen to know a lot of people like it. I have met more people here in Gettysburg that prefer it over the map. You may as well dry your eyes and just get over it, it ain't EVER coming back - and i for one am GLAD.
Deja Vu - thank you for your educated, intelligent comment. You made some good points. As someone who has inside knowledge, i can tell you that the Park Service have considered making a much more modern version of the map (let's face it,'more modern' is what we need today cos the old one ain't gonna impress the kids!) but it's very early days yet, so we'll just have to wait and see with that one. But the old one will NEVER come back.
oh, poor little lost voice. Did I strike a nerve? You do know "History" channel has a nasty habit of getting things wrong. The fact that they actually got lucky on eight minutes(by the way that is how long the gettysburg segment is) of a twenty minute movie is actually shocking for them. By the way I spoke to alot of Gettysburg RESIDENTS also who HATE that movie. What is sad is people like you who have to go by the Michael Bay version of history because you have attention spans that are shorter then knats. So go back and hit your simple button so you don't have to rub two brain cells together to actualy think.
Voice of Experience

York, PA

#13 Mar 28, 2012
The Voice wrote:
Really, is that the best you can do? They didn't have the technology to record Abraham Lincoln's voice back then, stoopid!
Just face it the Electric Map was dated and hokey and almost as bad as the terrible Hall of Presidents. Only thing it would be good for now would be to look at it and have a good chuckle, which is exactly what most people do in the Hall of Presidents. That place is SO OLD that one of the arms fell off one of the Presidents, the audio was out of sync, and the spotlight was on the wrong person when i visited once. When i think about it i probably had more fun there then i did watching the Electric Crap. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHARRRGGGH!!!!!!
Hey genius! Apparently you aren't well versed in the language of sarcasm.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#14 Mar 28, 2012
Really, you're wrong. You live in NC, i live in Gettysburg. How many people do you think i meet compared to you? Therefore the opinions of the people i have spoken to, blow yours outta the water. It's a simple numbers game.

And if you knew ANYTHING about that movie, you would know that it wasn't made just about Gettysburg (as the museum galleries aren't just about gettysburg), because the battle needed some C0NTEXT. Now people have better understanding when they come to gettysburg compared to the old VC, where most people didn;t have a clue why the battle started, etc.- There was no context and no 'bigger picture'. We like to educate people on the 'bigger picture' here at gettysburg, and the movie wasn't made for Southerners like you who are just upset that the movie mentions slavery. GET. OVER. IT.
Deja vu

Gettysburg, PA

#15 Mar 28, 2012
The Voice wrote:
Really, you're wrong. You live in NC, i live in Gettysburg. How many people do you think i meet compared to you? Therefore the opinions of the people i have spoken to, blow yours outta the water. It's a simple numbers game.
And if you knew ANYTHING about that movie, you would know that it wasn't made just about Gettysburg (as the museum galleries aren't just about gettysburg), because the battle needed some C0NTEXT. Now people have better understanding when they come to gettysburg compared to the old VC, where most people didn;t have a clue why the battle started, etc.- There was no context and no 'bigger picture'. We like to educate people on the 'bigger picture' here at gettysburg, and the movie wasn't made for Southerners like you who are just upset that the movie mentions slavery. GET. OVER. IT.
And I also live in the immediate Gettysburg are, I work in Gettysburg, and for quite a few years worked with the tourist industry in town. I have of course heard from people who did not like the map, but many who did. When the map closed I was answering questions all day from people who had seen it before and wanted to see it again. Many had come to see it as a child, and now wanted their children or grand children to see it.

The thing with the Electric Map is that it was informative and not entertaining. When people walked out of the map they had an understanding of the troop locations and movements. I have seen a few of the more modern and entertaining presentations using computer generated arrows, and starts, and figures that tried to do the same thing, but because it was entertaining, most commented on the graphics, and how “cool” it was, but still didn’t understand the positions and movements of the troops.

Maybe a duel program, with the map on the floor so everyone can see it, and a projected computer/video program that are coordinated.

I still will stand by my believes that there is a place for the map, although it can use some updating, not necessarily for clarity or accuracy, but for visibility and energy conservation.

As to the movie, you are correct is tells, as I real, a bit of history, and explains the causes, for the civil war. But I believe most who visit Gettysburg already have at least some understanding about that. I believe the Visitor Center here at Gettysburg should be about Gettysburg. There are many other presentations out there about Gettysburg that could be used.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#16 Mar 28, 2012
We're just going round in circles here, there's only so many times we can debate the same thing before it gets old. The bottom line is the Map isn't coming back. EVER. At least not the old one. And a new one may not ever see the light of day either, there was just a rumor floating around a while ago that the Park Service were 'thinking' about doing a new one. Haven't heard a thing from my sources since that time. So who knows.
Really

Greensboro, NC

#17 Mar 28, 2012
The Voice wrote:
Really, you're wrong. You live in NC, i live in Gettysburg. How many people do you think i meet compared to you? Therefore the opinions of the people i have spoken to, blow yours outta the water. It's a simple numbers game.
And if you knew ANYTHING about that movie, you would know that it wasn't made just about Gettysburg (as the museum galleries aren't just about gettysburg), because the battle needed some C0NTEXT. Now people have better understanding when they come to gettysburg compared to the old VC, where most people didn;t have a clue why the battle started, etc.- There was no context and no 'bigger picture'. We like to educate people on the 'bigger picture' here at gettysburg, and the movie wasn't made for Southerners like you who are just upset that the movie mentions slavery. GET. OVER. IT.
Apperantly you really are an idiot. Let me give you a lesson on computers simple one. The location that it is given does not always mean were you are typing from. Case in point I am using a computer in Shippensburg,pa. You do know were Shippensburg is don't you? The server that this computer is running on is actually in North Carolina. If you don't belive me go to the library and use one of their computers. It comes up as Orlando, Florida. So in short think before you speak. Or do you need explosions to hold your attention cause thinking hurts that thing between your ears.
The Voice

Gettysburg, PA

#18 Mar 28, 2012
1. Seen as how worked up i have gotten you, i obviously struck a nerve. Whether or not you're a
Southerner or not is irrelevant, most people who bash the film do so over its 'bigger picture' and the mention of the slavery. You happen to fall into that category, so it's just unlucky for you that due to your 'location' and your views i assumed you were from the South. My bad.

2. Actually i am a Microsoft Certified Professional thank you very much. Been certified since 2007. So i happen to know A LOT about computers, as it happens...looks like we both need to learn a lesson or two about assuming things...lol.
Really

Greensboro, NC

#19 Mar 28, 2012
The Voice wrote:
1. Seen as how worked up i have gotten you, i obviously struck a nerve. Whether or not you're a
Southerner or not is irrelevant, most people who bash the film do so over its 'bigger picture' and the mention of the slavery. You happen to fall into that category, so it's just unlucky for you that due to your 'location' and your views i assumed you were from the South. My bad.
2. Actually i am a Microsoft Certified Professional thank you very much. Been certified since 2007. So i happen to know A LOT about computers, as it happens...looks like we both need to learn a lesson or two about assuming things...lol.
It comes down to several problems I have with you.
1.Paramount among them is your smug I know more then everyone else attitude. You don't.
2. I don't like the NPS/Foundation trashing something that if they can't use then sell it. They cry that they are constantly out of money and that is why the gouge people. Then sell the map to a person or group that can use it. For you to assume that anyone who save it is crying over it you cause they miss it, then you are an idiot. There are more reasons then the two that those "I wan't to see explosions cause thinking hurts" mind can ever concieve.
3. This goes to the assuming part. I fully belive that slavery had been the cetral issue of the war. From the economic side to the political side. So for YOU to assume that I don't like it cause it talks alot about slavery then you are flat out wrong. I don't like the film because when I come to the see or in my case live on the battlefield I go the the visitor center for the Battle of Gettysburg, not the causes for the war. For that I would rather go to Harrisburg and see the National Civil War Museum.
Really

Greensboro, NC

#20 Mar 28, 2012
The Voice wrote:
1. Seen as how worked up i have gotten you, i obviously struck a nerve. Whether or not you're a
Southerner or not is irrelevant, most people who bash the film do so over its 'bigger picture' and the mention of the slavery. You happen to fall into that category, so it's just unlucky for you that due to your 'location' and your views i assumed you were from the South. My bad.
2. Actually i am a Microsoft Certified Professional thank you very much. Been certified since 2007. So i happen to know A LOT about computers, as it happens...looks like we both need to learn a lesson or two about assuming things...lol.
Then take renewel classes, cause you really need them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gettysburg National Military Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gettysburg plans battlefield fire Oct. 30 Tue Big D 2
Police: Man arrested after 5-hour Gettysburg ba... Aug '14 Skip 13
Man charged for assault, fire at Gettysburg Nat... Aug '14 St David 1
Ku Klux Klan to rally on Gettysburg, Pa., battl... Jun '14 Snitch 2
Seller cancels auction of soldier's skull found... Jun '14 Pink Eye 4
The Dishonored Dead: Civil War Skull to Be Sold... Jun '14 Petal Power 3
Gettysburg Museum Collections Now Available Online May '14 James 1

Gettysburg National Military Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE