More than 200,000 visit Gettysburg for 150th

Jul 16, 2013 Full story: Examiner.com 41

Gettysburg tourism officials said that more than 200,000 visitors converged on Gettysburg, Pa., for the seven-day observation of the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#1 Jul 21, 2013
Weren't THEY expecting at LEAST...30,000...????

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
St Lucie

Hollywood, FL

#2 Jul 21, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
The cancellation of the parade and the state of emergency because of the street gang incident scared many people away. There were accounts here of awful things taking place, SWAT teams with machine guns, snipers in helicopters, etc.

A very dangerous time for anyone who was unfortunate enough to be in Gettysburg.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Davenport

Gettysburg, PA

#3 Jul 22, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
200,000 is greater than 30,000

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Clear Dharma

Lisbon, Portugal

#4 Jul 22, 2013
St Lucie wrote:
<quoted text>
The cancellation of the parade and the state of emergency because of the street gang incident scared many people away. There were accounts here of awful things taking place, SWAT teams with machine guns, snipers in helicopters, etc.
A very dangerous time for anyone who was unfortunate enough to be in Gettysburg.
What happened there?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sucker Free City

Cheltenham, PA

#5 Jul 22, 2013
Clear Dharma wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened there?
Not much. Here's a quote from the article below

South Central Task Force Public Information Officer Duane Hagelgans said any other day, the incident wouldn't have gotten as much response from police. "To be perfectly honest, if this isn't happening this week, this probably doesn't make your newspaper," he said. Because of the 150th anniversary, hundreds of officers were in town. "From a public safety standpoint, you use the resources available."

http://www.ydr.com/gettysburg150/ci_23593270/...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Clear Dharma

Lisbon, Portugal

#6 Jul 22, 2013
Just seems the usually over reaction to nothing. People afraid of their own shadows.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Rockin' USA ;)

#7 Jul 22, 2013
Davenport wrote:
<quoted text>
EXCUUSE ME... MATH FREAK!!...Sheeseh...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
The Iron Dicktator

Podgorica, Montenegro

#8 Jul 22, 2013
We need fight against Jewish Lies...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Rockin' USA ;)

#9 Jul 22, 2013
At least the Gettysburg Businesses MADE Bucks!!"

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
The Iron Dictator

Podgorica, Montenegro

#10 Jul 22, 2013
Colorado Chick....could you show Me your Picture?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
St Lucie

Hollywood, FL

#11 Jul 23, 2013
Clear Dharma wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened there?
Gettysburg has had violent gang crime and child rape in its recent history, and people are beginning to steer away from it. The lockdown, state of emergency and cancellation of the 150th anniversary parade has a lot to do with it.

Gettysburg has become a dangerous place in the last few years.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Rockin' USA ;)

#12 Jul 24, 2013
YEAH...And HOW MUCH..TRASH..Did they LEAVE Behind???

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Steve Gratman

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jul 24, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
YEAH...And HOW MUCH..TRASH..Did they LEAVE Behind???
Ummm, the trash lived there long before the 150th.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Clear Dharma

Lisbon, Portugal

#14 Jul 24, 2013
St Lucie wrote:
<quoted text>
Gettysburg has had violent gang crime and child rape in its recent history, and people are beginning to steer away from it. The lockdown, state of emergency and cancellation of the 150th anniversary parade has a lot to do with it.
Gettysburg has become a dangerous place in the last few years.
I had no idea. American society seems to be rotting away if even iconic places such as Gettysburg are allowed to degenerate to these levels.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#15 Jul 24, 2013
Davenport wrote:
<quoted text>
Alway's wanted to go there, but my vacation was alway's over the fourth, and thought it likely too crowded then?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Davenport

Gettysburg, PA

#16 Jul 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Alway's wanted to go there, but my vacation was alway's over the fourth, and thought it likely too crowded then?
Gettysburg is a great place to visit anytime and a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

You are correct it is usually more crowded over the fourth, but anytime from around the first of April, to the end of November most of the museums and attractions are open. You can get a licensed guide any time of the year and the tour buses run year round.

In the spring there are a lot of school groups on class trips that end up taking a lot of the hotel rooms, but there is usually something available if you just don't wait till the last minute.

I would imagine that next year will probably not be as busy over the 4th.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Steve Gratman

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Jul 24, 2013
Children are raped on nearly a daily basis in Gettysburg.

Read the newspapers.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#18 Jul 24, 2013
Davenport wrote:
<quoted text>
Gettysburg is a great place to visit anytime and a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
You are correct it is usually more crowded over the fourth, but anytime from around the first of April, to the end of November most of the museums and attractions are open. You can get a licensed guide any time of the year and the tour buses run year round.
In the spring there are a lot of school groups on class trips that end up taking a lot of the hotel rooms, but there is usually something available if you just don't wait till the last minute.
I would imagine that next year will probably not be as busy over the 4th.
Thanks...it's on our bucket list....we saw Andersonville and Chickamauga battlefield....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sucker Free City

Cheltenham, PA

#19 Jul 24, 2013
Clear Dharma wrote:
<quoted text>
I had no idea. American society seems to be rotting away if even iconic places such as Gettysburg are allowed to degenerate to these levels.
Proxy server? Dude, it's a little obvious when two people suddenly and randomly show up her with posting locations like Óbidos, Portugal and Crna Gora, Montenegro that it's just our same old pal using a proxy server so he doesn't come up as either Philadelphia or Orlando. I'll give you an A for effort but a zero for creativity.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Clear Dharma

Lisbon, Portugal

#21 Jul 24, 2013
Sucker Free City wrote:
<quoted text>Proxy server? Dude, it's a little obvious when two people suddenly and randomly show up her with posting locations like Óbidos, Portugal and Crna Gora, Montenegro that it's just our same old pal using a proxy server so he doesn't come up as either Philadelphia or Orlando. I'll give you an A for effort but a zero for creativity.
You're paranoid Son. I am in Obidos and a very fine old town it is too. Great beach, great surf and great people.

For whatever reason this story came up on the Poland forum and quite possibly elsewhere. So I took the trouble to see how the celebrations went for you.

So uh, what's the deal?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gettysburg National Military Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How well do you know the Gettysburg Address? Nov '14 Hate gettysburg 3
Gettysburg plans battlefield fire Oct. 30 Oct '14 Daisy 1
Police: Man arrested after 5-hour Gettysburg ba... Aug '14 Skip 13
Man charged for assault, fire at Gettysburg Nat... Aug '14 St David 1
Ku Klux Klan to rally on Gettysburg, Pa., battl... Jun '14 Snitch 2
Seller cancels auction of soldier's skull found... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Pink Eye 4
The Dishonored Dead: Civil War Skull to Be Sold... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Petal Power 3
More from around the web