VMI Museums to Observe Anniversary of Stonewall Jackson's Death

LEXINGTON, Va., April 25, 2013 The Virginia Military Institute museum system will sponsor a series of events observing the 150th anniversary of the last days of VMI faculty member and Confederate Civil War hero Gen. Full Story
Rebel

Keswick, VA

#1 May 1, 2013
I can't see lexington doing anything for the south's BEST general since they agreed to take down the only flag the south has! I would bet General Jackson would be sad to call this place home!
Pitchforkpat

Bethlehem, PA

#2 May 2, 2013
Never forget our Confederate heros, Gen. Jackson perhaps the noblest of them all, who foresaw the mess we are in today and died trying to save us from it.

Thank you, VMI. We'll be making the trip down to pay our respects.
Old Hare

Mineral, VA

#4 May 2, 2013
Remembering Virginia's historical heritage whether you feel it is good, bad or you are just indifferent is vitally important for future generations. I applaud VMI's efforts on preserving our history. "

"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Rally round the Virginians!" Gen. Barnard Elliot Bee Jr. C.S.A.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#5 May 3, 2013
These so called heroes should be seen in the same light as Hitler's henchmen and the holocaust. A shame on this country then and now.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#6 May 3, 2013
Rebel wrote:
I can't see lexington doing anything for the south's BEST general since they agreed to take down the only flag the south has! I would bet General Jackson would be sad to call this place home!
Good. Sadder the better.
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

#7 May 3, 2013
sez you wrote:
These so called heroes should be seen in the same light as Hitler's henchmen and the holocaust. A shame on this country then and now.
I disagree with you completely as usual. I am not from the south, but these were men of principal. They fought for what they believed in, and it had little to do with slavery. Stonewall Jackson was a phenomenal general.

Hitler herded a population into gas chambers. He incited a nation to forget concience and become a mob. There is no comparison.

Your glass will never be full if you don't shake this jaded world view.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#8 May 3, 2013
CvilleMechEngr wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with you completely as usual. I am not from the south, but these were men of principal. They fought for what they believed in, and it had little to do with slavery. Stonewall Jackson was a phenomenal general.
Hitler herded a population into gas chambers. He incited a nation to forget concience and become a mob. There is no comparison.
Your glass will never be full if you don't shake this jaded world view.
Men of principle? Gawd save us from men of principle, The Crusades, Salem witch hunts, KKK, the so called war on terror, all perpetrated by men with principle. The south wanted its states rats, the rat to own slaves, its economy was a bust without free labor. Even Lincoln was obtuse about the slave issue but he did have a principle, to keep the union. The great emancipator could have cared less. If not for Frederick Douglas and a few of associates, freedom from slavery wouln't have come for some time after the Civil War.
Boodreau

Waynesboro, VA

#9 May 3, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>Men of principle? Gawd save us from men of principle, The Crusades, Salem witch hunts, KKK, the so called war on terror, all perpetrated by men with principle. The south wanted its states rats, the rat to own slaves, its economy was a bust without free labor. Even Lincoln was obtuse about the slave issue but he did have a principle, to keep the union. The great emancipator could have cared less. If not for Frederick Douglas and a few of associates, freedom from slavery wouln't have come for some time after the Civil War.
What about those upstart colonists? And I am sure Korea and Vietnam on on your list.
Dude

Purcellville, VA

#10 May 4, 2013
sez you wrote:
A careful study of his life would lead one to believe that General Jackson might even be described as a civil-rights leader. Yes, thatís right, a civil-rights leader. In the nineteenth century, prior to the War of Federal Aggression, Virginia law prohibited whites from teaching blacks to read and write. Though Stonewall Jackson was known as an upstanding and law-abiding citizen in Lexington, he routinely broke this law every Sunday. Jackson quietly practiced civil disobedience by having an organized Sunday school class every Sunday afternoon, teaching black children to read, and teaching them the way of salvation.During the war he sent his own money back to Lexington to fund the continuation of the Sunday school class.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/williams1.ht...

Commemorating the death of General Stonewall Jackson, which occurred May 10, 73 years ago today, a stained glass window in a Negro church in Roanoke, Va., picturing the last words of the great military genius, is one of the most touching of the Confederacy's memorials.

It exists because of many years of untiring work on the part of the Rev. Lilburn L. Downing who has served 40 years as pastor of the church and whose parents were members of a Sunday school class taught by General Jackson.
http://richmondthenandnow.com/Newspaper-Artic...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fredericksburg And Spotsylvania National Military Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walmart picks new site in Orange (Jun '11) Nov '12 Dave 3
Walmart Chooses New Site in Orange (May '11) Jun '11 khori 3
"Wilderness Wal-Mart" Near Fredericksburg and S... (Sep '09) Sep '10 Tabbycat405 16
Volunteers needed for Park Day (Jul '09) Jul '09 Rocky Priapus 1
Texas, Vermont politicians join Orange Wal-Mart... (Jan '09) Feb '09 Doc Garnett 2
More from around the web