No fireworks, but Fort will be open o...

No fireworks, but Fort will be open on Fourth of July

There are 3 comments on the The Columbian story from Apr 24, 2009, titled No fireworks, but Fort will be open on Fourth of July. In it, The Columbian reports that:

At a loss as to how your family will spend the Fourth of July, given that for the first time in 47 years there will not be a fireworks show this summer at the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site? If your Fourth won't feel complete without a trip to the fort, consider taking a lunch to the manicured grounds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Columbian.

AlW

Portland, OR

#1 May 28, 2009
I guess other cities will still have them just not the poorly run Clark County Wa City of Vancouver ! What a bunch of pukes ! I will never return to see it when and if it comes back. I will go to Portland where a bunch of places will shoot off fireworks. Oh and I will also spend my money over there ! In Oregon ! Wait till the City sees how much money it will lose from this ! I will also buy my Groceries for the 4th in Oregon
Chad

Vancouver, WA

#2 Jun 15, 2009
Wow, AIW, you haven't done your homework. The City of Vancouver has never profited from the fireworks event. You should appreciate the solidarity that has been bestowed apon the city for the last half century. We're fortunate for the generosity from the many sponsors that made it happen.
Susan Holton

Morton, WA

#3 Jun 25, 2009
I work for the Fort Vancouver National Trust, the non-profit organization that produces and is financially responsible for the 4th of July all-day event and fireworks show at Fort Vancouver. The City of Vancouver does not pay for or organize the event or the fireworks show. The projected cost of this year's event was almost $500,000. The money simply wasn't there this year to produce the event. Keep in mind that no mandatory gate admission was charged for this all-day event. A $4 per person donation was suggested, but 60,000 people attended the event annually, and only $40,000 was raised at the gate. That averages to only 67 cents donated for each person who attended. Although there is no event or fireworks show at Fort Vancouver this year, we are retooling the event and cutting costs. Look for a new event, Independence Day at Fort Vancouver, on July 4, 2010. The new event will still have a fabulous fireworks show, but also will have more family-friendly activities and more historical focus to fit the historic site. Look for more information at www.fortvan.org .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Vancouver National Historic Site Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vancouver company will rock you | Jan. 16 (Jan '12) Jan '12 Fed_the_F_up 1
More from around the web