Boy dies after getting stranded in De...

Boy dies after getting stranded in Death Valley

There are 3 comments on the Spencer New Leader story from Aug 8, 2009, titled Boy dies after getting stranded in Death Valley. In it, Spencer New Leader reports that:

Alicia Sanchez, 28, was found severely dehydrated and remained hospitalized in Las Vegas a day after being found with her dog, her dead son and a Jeep Cherokee buried up to its axles in sand.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spencer New Leader.

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Aug 9, 2009
This doesn't make sense. How can a "nurse" risk driving into the desert on a spare tire? As a mom, I would have automatically turned back (bad omen), or protected my child by giving him my food and water. And such a small dog surviving? This just sounds off. This needs investigation. Lesson learned about being well-prepared.

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Aug 9, 2009
omg thats weird wow how sad

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#3 Aug 10, 2009
I think there's a lot of unanswered questions here.

And blaming a gps receiver is not part of any answer to this.

If one is going to go into a remote location such as Death Valley, which is obviously aptly named, common sense says to bring certain survival/safety gear with you.

The most important thing being a personal locator beacon.

Common sense also should dictate that you inform friends and family of your plans and instructions to be carried out if you're not heard from by a certain SAFE time.

Things like this happen too often.

Remember the famous cases of Brennan Hawkins & Garrett Bardsley ?

Both boys were of similar age, and bot disappeared in the same area. Bremmam Hawkins was found after an intensive search, but no trace of Garrett Bardsley has ever been found.

When one goes into a wilderness area, one should always have a PLB with them.

Are they expensive ? YES.

Will they save a life ? YES.

Which is more important ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Death Valley National Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Solved: The mystery of the rolling rocks (Sep '14) Sep '14 Jean 1
Saline Valley Hot Springs (Nov '10) Jun '14 squeezers 6
News Why hot countries scoff at Ottawa's 'phoney' 40... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Heidi Foster 1
News Leaves of Change Inspire Photographers (Jan '11) Jan '11 sad Bird Fish Kil... 1
News Charles Manson's Hide-Away Gutted in Suspicious... (May '09) May '09 Roudy 2
News Judge tosses Inyo's road case (Aug '08) Sep '08 Death Valley local 2