Gettysburg map may be auctioneda "or ...

Gettysburg map may be auctioneda "or destroyed

There are 10 comments on the The Lebanon Daily News story from May 27, 2012, titled Gettysburg map may be auctioneda "or destroyed. In it, The Lebanon Daily News reports that:

Officials say they plan to try to auction off a large electric battlefield map at Gettysburg that for decades helped visitors understand the crucial Civil War battle, but they may be forced to destroy it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Lebanon Daily News.

Since: Mar 11

Cabin John, MD

#1 May 27, 2012
Ok the electric map is old, but so am I. Some people don’t like it. That is fine they don’t have to visit it. But there are many, including myself who think it is possibly the easiest way to understand the troop movements and the flow of the battle.

If the NPS doesn’t want it, I am sure they can find another home for it. Or are they worried that people may visit the electric map and not visit the Visitor Center, if they let someone else have it?

Maybe a bit of competition would be good for them.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#2 Jun 1, 2012
I know how to vote wrote:
Ok the electric map is old, but so am I. Some people don’t like it. That is fine they don’t have to visit it. But there are many, including myself who think it is possibly the easiest way to understand the troop movements and the flow of the battle.
If the NPS doesn’t want it, I am sure they can find another home for it. Or are they worried that people may visit the electric map and not visit the Visitor Center, if they let someone else have it?
Maybe a bit of competition would be good for them.
OMG!! Yo...I know how to vote..AM SURE YA DO..DUDE!! Sell it to whom?? Your local neighbor, a tourist shop's window front or how about at the local sports bar?? Competition...this piece of metal...has asbestos in it?? WHO THE FREAK would want it lying about..if so?? I think the Visitor Center offers a bit more that just viewing an ancient artifact of troops storming about the battlefield. There is wayyyy tooo much attention being place on this item. It's day of glory is through..NOW how about we discuss a new business venture that will subsidize sales taxes the whole year through..that all ages could enjoy?? ROCK ON!
LA Dream Team

United States

#3 Jun 2, 2012
How about selling salted and pan-seared horse apples to toothless local men?

Get a liquor license and call it a Bar and Restaurant?

Dress up some loudmouth in Civil War garb and have him drone on about 150 year old things that nobody cares about?

Drive past Gettysburg and go somewhere worthwhile for a day trip, like Philadelphia, where they have way more historical attractions and they have casinos. Something Gettysburg will never have because it is a jerkwater town.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#4 Jun 2, 2012
LA Dream Team wrote:
How about selling salted and pan-seared horse apples to toothless local men?
Get a liquor license and call it a Bar and Restaurant?
Dress up some loudmouth in Civil War garb and have him drone on about 150 year old things that nobody cares about?
Drive past Gettysburg and go somewhere worthwhile for a day trip, like Philadelphia, where they have way more historical attractions and they have casinos. Something Gettysburg will never have because it is a jerkwater town.
Ya know, You have a point..BUT I sense THAT Gettysburg wants to remain a "jerkwater" town, as YOU have stated. The reason behind it, I believe is to draw NEW residents. By doing so, the town will have added additional property taxes. Whereas, a new business may close, due to the slow economy, thus leaving the city. A new homeowner chose to reside in Gettysburg to raise their family..they ain't going anywhere. So, focusing on this battlefield map may be a big deal to the older folks, since they grew up with it. But, to the younger crowd this map is junk. Auction it off, somebody would love to have it, I'm sure.
Colorado Chick

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 2, 2012
And I just crapped in my pants

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#6 Jun 2, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
And I just crapped in my pants
Quit stalking me...IMPOSTER!!
Pink Eye

Dingmans Ferry, PA

#7 Jun 2, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>Quit stalking me...IMPOSTER!!
the imposter is creepy :o)
Colorado Chick

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jun 2, 2012
Pink Eye wrote:
<quoted text>the imposter is creepy :o)
No.......... What's creepy is you liking the feeling of crapping in your pants Pink Eye !!!!!!!!! Crap On !!
Pink Eye

Dingmans Ferry, PA

#9 Jun 3, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>
No.......... What's creepy is you liking the feeling of crapping in your pants Pink Eye !!!!!!!!! Crap On !!
THE IMPOSTER
Pink Eye

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jun 4, 2012
I crapped on the map

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US National Parks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News House takes action against Confederate flag, a ... Jun 20 Raptor 383
News Paul Revere III in Rome, guest speaker at Chamb... Jun 20 Sam 5
News Titusville bike/pedestrian bridge opens Jun 20 Don key 2
News A secret room lies behind Lincoln's head at Mou... Jun 17 Christaliban 10
News History comes to town Jun 16 Type cash 1
News Missing North Carolina hiker found dead in SW C... Jun 15 ELISE GINGERICH 1
News Visits to Yellowstone National Park up 15 perce... Jun 13 gordie 1
More from around the web