What happened to King's dream of econ...

What happened to King's dream of economic justice?

There are 187 comments on the Daily World story from Aug 29, 2011, titled What happened to King's dream of economic justice?. In it, Daily World reports that:

As the nation honors the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. with a stirring new memorial on the National Mall, let's not obscure one of his most important messages in a fog of sentiment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily World.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

oh _ ReaIIy _ __

“Shove your "Warnings"”

Since: Jul 11

where da sun don't shine....

#201 Sep 23, 2011
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, everything is ten times as hard for bigots like OhReally.
"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

"If our government cannot create jobs, it cannot govern. It cannot have white affluence amid black poverty and have racial harmony."

http://anticap.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/marti...

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#202 Sep 24, 2011
Tom wrote:
There may well be tens of millions of poor whites in America, but King must have known his strategy would be dispraportionately beneficial for the black community, hence he proposed it. And I don't blame him for trying, it's a clever strategy for gaining black economic equality.
I've not read any of Kings works but I am skeptical that he was proposing this for ideological reasons. I believe it was probably instead a pragmatic tactic for achieving his end goal of black equality under another guise, which is clever.
<quoted text>
I really hope that you will develop enough interest to actually read Dr. King. If so, you might like to have a collection of his writings and addresses called A TESTAMENT OF HOPE, edited by James Washington.
One can't rely on the media, and there's a lot more to King's thought that most people realize...more than "I Have a Dream."

oh _ ReaIIy _ __

“Shove your "Warnings"”

Since: Jul 11

where da sun don't shine....

#203 Sep 24, 2011
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
I really hope that you will develop enough interest to actually read Dr. King. If so, you might like to have a collection of his writings and addresses called A TESTAMENT OF HOPE, edited by James Washington.
One can't rely on the media, and there's a lot more to King's thought that most people realize...more than "I Have a Dream."
I've read King.

"He promoted socialism, pacifism and the appeasement of totalitarian communism. He opposed the Vietnam War and even openly supported the Viet Cong and North Vietnam’s Marxist dictator Ho Chi Minh, praising them as anti-imperialists battling Western occupying powers."

"King embraced the 1960s New Left’s hatred of America. In their eyes, the United States was an evil empire driven by white oppression, militarism and capitalist exploitation. King openly promoted the anti-colonial “liberation” movements engulfing the Third World. For example, he defended Ghanaian strongman Kwame Nkrumah, excusing his authoritarian rule and forced nationalization."

" King called for racial quotas in government contracts, affirmative action and billions in welfare assistance. In short, he helped lay the groundwork for the modern Democratic Party - anti-war, favoring the redistribution of wealth and obsessed with identity politics."

"His call for a color-blind society was contradicted by his multicultural progressivism. Affirmative action, racial quotas, government handouts to minorities - these policies directly violate the basic principle of equality under the law"

You're right, WAY more than a dream.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#204 Sep 24, 2011
oh _ ReaIIy ___ wrote:
<quoted text>I've read King.
"He promoted socialism, pacifism and the appeasement of totalitarian communism. He opposed the Vietnam War and even openly supported the Viet Cong and North Vietnam’s Marxist dictator Ho Chi Minh, praising them as anti-imperialists battling Western occupying powers."
"King embraced the 1960s New Left’s hatred of America. In their eyes, the United States was an evil empire driven by white oppression, militarism and capitalist exploitation. King openly promoted the anti-colonial “liberation” movements engulfing the Third World. For example, he defended Ghanaian strongman Kwame Nkrumah, excusing his authoritarian rule and forced nationalization."
" King called for racial quotas in government contracts, affirmative action and billions in welfare assistance. In short, he helped lay the groundwork for the modern Democratic Party - anti-war, favoring the redistribution of wealth and obsessed with identity politics."
"His call for a color-blind society was contradicted by his multicultural progressivism. Affirmative action, racial quotas, government handouts to minorities - these policies directly violate the basic principle of equality under the law"
You're right, WAY more than a dream.
You've NOT read King, nor much else. What is posted above are anti-King comments from heaven knows what source.
But the very first paragraph would have been suspicious to anyone who read his address "A Time To Break Silence" in A TESTAMENT OF HOPE (pp. 231--245). Strange that NO comments (with sources, page numbers, etc) appear in OhReally's post. Certainly no comments (docmented with sources) from Dr. King himself.
Strange that in the research which I've done on King over the past couple of years for my upcoming book,NO King scholar adopts OhReally's point of view--not even those who disagree with King.
I wonder how many of the seven volumes of the PAPERS OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR Ohreally has read? Or has he read even more accessible works like A TESTAMENT OF HOPE, STRENGTH TO LOVE, STRIDE TOWARD FREEDOM, WHY WE CAN'T WAIT, WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE: CHAOS OR COMMUNITY?, TRUMPET OF CONSCIENCE? Or has he familiarized himself with works of King scholars, works by Ira Zepp, Greg Moses, Taylor Branch, Lewis Baldwin and numerous others I could mention?
Or is he familiar with the PHILOSOPHICAL bases of Kingian thought, especially that of PERSONALISM, HEGEL, or SOCIAL GOSPEL theology.
If he is familiar with none of this, or with little of this, then he needs to do some HOMEWORK before he decides to dispute me on King. Cherry picked quotations designed to prove whatever one wants is LAUGHABLE to the well informed. And one doesn't get much better informed by the YouTube scholarship and dubious links from god knows where.

Since: May 08

Pacific Northwest

#205 Oct 1, 2011
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Whites (including poor whites) were actively involved in the Poor Peoples Campaign. So, I guess those whites--by OhREally's standards--were idiots. They actually believed that King's Poor Peoples Campaign was really about POOR PEOPLE, who are collectively the color of the rainbow.

I prefer the so-called idiocy of THOSE white people, to the very REAL racist induced idiocy of OhReally.
I can only agree, brother. I will be posting more and more about the theme of poverty in general....and white poverty in particular.

Keep an eye out!
;o)

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#206 Oct 1, 2011
Harrisson wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only agree, brother. I will be posting more and more about the theme of poverty in general....and white poverty in particular.
Keep an eye out!
;o)
Yes, I saw your new thread.
a blackboi

Absecon, NJ

#207 May 26, 2012
[QUOTE who="Savant > AKA > attai1"]<quoted text>
Thanks. But I'm about to kick Zaius' racist butt. Boy is he making a mistake trying to hijack the legacy of Dr. King.
But unlike that racist buffoon, I've studied King. Indeed, I've a book coming soon. King was a REVOLUTIONARY--which is why he was killed. Ever hear of his proposed ECONOMIC BILL OF RIGHTS?
Maybe one of his letters to Coretta Scott (future wife) written July 18, 1952 in which he says "I am more socialistic in my economic theory than capitalistic," Or where he writes (same letter) that "today capitalism has outlived its usefulness."
Conservtive Dr. King? Duh...What flavor Kool Aid is Z drinking?[/QUOTE]

Sir,

What happened to the book on the hedonistic, philandering womanizer Dr King? I would like to read another account of his racist self-centered life-style, especially the part where he preferred white prostitutes over black ones, that is the kind of racist behavior that makes me feel embarrassed for my fellow blacks, it was good that his life was cut short and thus prevented racial tensions from rising further.

a blackboi

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US National Parks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Yosemite, and President Obama, head into virtua... 19 hr K-DJ 2
News Is a Five-Year-Old Earthquake Still Affecting t... Wed Shake and Bake 1
News Gettysburg to become 'sister' to Japanese city Wed Sekigahara Stinks 1
News TMS teacher hopes to use 'Pokemon Go' as teachi... Aug 17 Health 1
News Akron man charged with shooting woman in head, ... Aug 15 Walkin Boss 1
News Violence Plagues DC In Another Bloody Weekend O... Aug 7 grounded in reality 1
News Democrats will meet in a city of great economic... Jul 27 bozo 3
More from around the web