Supervolcano 'even more colossal'

Supervolcano 'even more colossal'

There are 1 comment on the Newsday story from Dec 10, 2013, titled Supervolcano 'even more colossal'. In it, Newsday reports that:

The supervolcano that lies beneath Yellowstone National Park in the US is far larger than was previously thought, scientists report.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Dec 11, 2013
Interesting to see the size of the residual magma chamber following the intrusion of an "island park" size magma blob under the old residual magma chamber about 150,000 years ago.

The residual magma following the 640,000 year eruption has by & large been kept heated by basaltic magma intruding into the residual magma. The basaltic magma is part of the snake river chain basalts (tending about 1Km3 per 500 years or so).

The island park sized eruption failed to form a caldera 150000 years ago because of 2 things.
1: the caldera was under ice & as a result it instead produced subglacial (& then sublacustrine lava dome flows).
2: the residual magma being very large absorbed much of the gas in the small island park sized pluton & resulted in a slightly fizzy magma, able to be mobilised as lava domes.

For the fun bit look instead at the uplift in the NE part of the park around Mt. Washburn, where the new large pluton is still rising @ low-mid crustal levels. The residual magma as a result of the uplift continues to flow into the SW. part of the caldera under the big domes formed 150000, 120000, and 70000 years ago.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US National Parks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cuban dissidents feel sidelined as US focuses o... Jul 24 L I G E R 11
News Marion added to Selma to Montgomery National Hi... Jul 21 stanpan76 1
News Article: Albuquerque pictograms may be work of ... Jul 19 Florida 2
News Missing Hiker Said He Had to Be 'Back With Moth... Jul 15 WhiteDevilKingOfT... 5
News U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke invites Donald Trump to... Jul 10 Lawrence Wolf 9
News Gettysburg Bookstore Pulls Confederate Flag Mer... Jul 4 Boom 4
News Parades, hot dogs, cold beer: America celebrate... Jul 4 Miss Id 1
More from around the web