Poll: Should Hetch Hetchy Reservoir B...

Poll: Should Hetch Hetchy Reservoir Be Drained?

There are 2 comments on the Patch.com story from Jul 14, 2012, titled Poll: Should Hetch Hetchy Reservoir Be Drained?. In it, Patch.com reports that:

A The San Francisco Chronicle calls the idea "insane." The proposal: a November ballot measure that would ultimately, if passed, move us closer to the idea of draining the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir in Yosemite National Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

vern

Berlin, Germany

#1 Jul 16, 2012
It was a big mistake to build the Hetch Hetchy reservoir in the first place, but now the valley is gone. It will never be the valley it has been before, at least not in the foreseeable future.
It has been the bottom of a lake for a long time.
I would rather leave it now as it is and spend the money on alternative energy production / desalination. That would help conserving the environment at other places which are still intact.
A new Hetch Hetchy would be like a Disney Theme park.
Bird

Westland, MI

#2 Aug 17, 2012
It would take a some time for sediment etc to wash off of the valley rocks and valley floor. It would take some time for plants and trees to re-inhabit the area. Most people wouldn't want to visit such a place. During this time, put together a plan to keep the valley simple and uncrowded while the reclaimation process takes hold. Make any campgrounds very small, and keep any gift shops etc out. It will be popular for a while, but I'm guessing the masses will once again return to Yosemite and leave Hetch Hetchy alone.

I get what you are saying about the crowds, though. That's why I spend so much time in Kings Canyon when I visit the Sierras, instead of Yosemite. I visit Yosemite at least once, but spend the majority of my time in Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Less crowds to beat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US National Parks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Theodore Decker: Goose culling could bring abou... Aug 14 shadow_hunter 6
News Charges dropped in 2016 fires Aug 14 Home Destroyed 9
News Experience the solar eclipse from a scenic over... Aug 12 Dunlap 2
News Statue Of Liberty To Close For A Year For Renov... (Aug '11) Aug 3 C Kersey 17
News Protests planned at Gettysburg battlefield this... Jul 27 Nileypoo busted 10
News Fireworks pollute the atmosphere and disturb birds Jul '17 CabotRes 2
News Well, It Looks Like Progressives Decided Not To... Jul '17 Fitus T Bluster 7
More from around the web