5-Year-Old Dies In Freak Horse Riding Accident

There are 20 comments on the Oct 10, 2008, NBC 11 San Francisco Bay Area story titled 5-Year-Old Dies In Freak Horse Riding Accident. In it, NBC 11 San Francisco Bay Area reports that:

San Mateo County sheriff's deputies have released the tragic details related to the horseback riding death of a 5-year-old girl in Woodside on Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 11 San Francisco Bay Area.

Tiffany

United States

#63 Jul 19, 2010
Sammy,
As true as your words are that someone needs to held responcable for the actions taking here.... i cant help but to feel that your words of hatered for the partents are misplaced, have you ever lost a child? do know the pain that they are going through? no i dont believe that you have... yes they should have taken better precautions before they let they baby go, but how were they to know? i believe that the ranch that they hired to teach the baby girl to ride is to blame, they are suppost to verify that the people they hire have the qualificatons needed to preform the job they are appling for. but no sammy; you are very wrong to sat it was their faults. Personally i to took leasons, i have been riding since a very young age if not right at five just a little bit older... i was not put on a horse but a small pony. and i turned out perfectly fine...
Safy

Japan

#64 Aug 21, 2010
Are you saying this little boy is in horrible danger and should no be riding. Because he looks pretty good for a 6yo.

http://www.youtube.com/v/4gBkPYfYe-4...

Accidents happen, to adults and children. It was just unfortunate that it happened in this way. Take a breather and stop being so judgemental. It's not helping anyone. My nephew had his first couple of ride on the lead line when he was 1yo. Sure we had helpers but now that he is 5yo what makes horse riding so much different than Rollerblade, bike riding, swimming ect... people die doing those all the time too.

An adult friend of mine got kicked in the face a few years back. She had a helmet on and was with a very quiet horse. Things just happen sometimes.
Anon

Eureka, NV

#65 Oct 1, 2010
I am so sorry for the family; I can only imagine what a tragedy like this would be for them. My heart goes out to you.

As for everyone else: I have ridden for as long as I can remember. The first picture of me on a horse was taken before I could walk. My daughters also have been raised in this way, as are most children where I come from. Horses are a part of work and a part of life. Accidents happen in any context, and no one has the right to judge another because of an accident. Statistically vehicles are much more dangerous for 5-year-olds (this is true even when you take into account the difference in usage).
Lizz

Hesperia, CA

#66 Nov 18, 2010
this is such a tragic thing that happened but i have been riding sice i was 3. i started on a 17hh horse but i was always on a lunge line so if something happene it could be stoped. i do believe she was old enough to ride but theyy should have put her on a ponyy to start out. the weight of the horse means ABSOLUTELYYYY nothing it should be based on the temperment of the horse. my lil 3 year old sister ride her big clydesdale he does amazing with her. i do not think that sammy should ave said what she did. NOONE should go to jail for this. Horses are an animal theyy have a mind of their own and can turn at anyy minute.
qualifications teaching

Lake Charles, LA

#67 Dec 18, 2010
How were the parents to know that this person has no qualifications to be teaching then could it have been prevented.
scout

Albany, CA

#68 Dec 18, 2010
Not a freak accident at all. A terrible death and hard of everyone.
Heather

Virginia Beach, VA

#69 Jun 5, 2011
Sammy wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't keep my comments to myself. Because, I have been through Equestrian competitions. My kids started when they were in their teens. I don't know the level of this little angels instruction. But I do know that age 5 is way to early. Any trainer will tell you that. You say she asked her parents? How F$^%$#@ STUPID is that. If my 5 year old asked me to drive my 6000 pound truck should I say yes. If and I say if this little girl asked to ride a thousand plus horse the answer by any sane parent would have been a resounding "NO". She was not ready the parents and the instructor should be charged with child endangerment. Who the F&^% would give a 5 years old lessons. Someone needs to go to jail. The trainer, and the stupid parents. The end result is that a little is dead, because the parents wanted to live their lives through their daughter and wanted to brag about what their daughter is doing. I am sure she would have preferred to have been at home play with her dolls, not living her parents dreams. Put these selfish parents in jail, and the trainer who accepted her also.
I have grown up around horses all my life. Started riding when I was 6. My 3 1/2 year old is also taking an interest and has started on his first pony. If a kid wants to ride I don't believe there is an issue as long as the parents are aware that there are dangers. God be with this family.
helpusall

San Jose, CA

#70 Jun 6, 2011
Sammy wrote:
Who the F&*^ would let a 5 year old on a 1500 pound horse. Typical, parents trying to live their lives through their children. Because they have the money to do it. A child is dead because of your selfishness. UnF&^(ing believable. Rest in peace little girl. Parents, I hope you suffer for your selfishness, the rest of your lives. YOU killed your daughter, on one else.
so how much does a car weigh that we turn over to our teens when they are old enough to get a license and drive?
stop being judge and jury. pray for comfort for the family of this angel.
blessed

Dallas, TX

#71 Jun 23, 2011
My 3 year old son loves horses as do I. I took him for a pony ride at the age og two and since then he can't get enough. He has only been on three pony rides in a year I am not horse expirienced but he always cries when we leave. I believe the child asked for the lessons but if I was the parent it would have been on a pony. We are in no place to judge there is no perfect parent God bless them and there baby
Anne

Reston, VA

#72 Jul 30, 2011
Sammy wrote:
Who the F&*^ would let a 5 year old on a 1500 pound horse. Typical, parents trying to live their lives through their children. Because they have the money to do it. A child is dead because of your selfishness. UnF&^(ing believable. Rest in peace little girl. Parents, I hope you suffer for your selfishness, the rest of your lives. YOU killed your daughter, on one else.
ok your an idiot i ride horses and most of those 1500 pound animals and kind and sweet but you gotta remeber they have minds of there own ok? im pretty sure if the horse was crazy they wouldnt let the little girl ride it. it might of just been an accident like the horse got stung by a bee. That happened to my friend and she broke her back, but guess what IT WAS AN ACCIDENT. and really the parents are probably going through a lota shit you dont need to add to it.I hope you die of your bitc*ynessand stupidness.
Brit

Valley View, TX

#73 Sep 28, 2011
Sammy wrote:
Who the F&*^ would let a 5 year old on a 1500 pound horse. Typical, parents trying to live their lives through their children. Because they have the money to do it. A child is dead because of your selfishness. UnF&^(ing believable. Rest in peace little girl. Parents, I hope you suffer for your selfishness, the rest of your lives. YOU killed your daughter, on one else.
I am a mother of a 5 year old little girl who was in a horse accident, too. You must not have any clue to what you are talking about, accidents happen...... I feel for these parents of this little girl. you are one mean ugly hateful person.....
ritamaryanne

UK

#74 Oct 27, 2011
I AGREE WITH MUCH SAID about children and the age to ride. The stables where my three grandchildren rode says they give lessons to children age 2yrs and over!This yard iS ONE OF THE VERY BEST BY ALL ACCOUNTS affiliated to all the major society's. I have watched the shaking and rocking heads and necks of small children riding. They have no control. My eldest grandchild age 14yrs is at present suffering from a major knee injury and still waiting for more surgery. Believe it or not! No ambulance was called and her parents were not contacted for over an hour after a second fall...having fallen, hurt her knee, and been remounted on a smaller horse! Her leg then collapsed unsupervised on dismount. She was taken to hospital by the parents. Major cartilage and tendon/ligament damage etc. I think the staff need to be far Accidents can always happen but we always watched every lesson and the accident happened on the second morning when she was preparing for a Test and we were not there. more proficient as some qualifications do not prepare for everything.
Shelly

Scottsdale, AZ

#75 Nov 13, 2011
How Sad! And how Awful the mean words I have read! This makes me very sad and I don't know anyone involved. My daughter, almost 3, only plays with horse dolls! She has ridden a pony and wants to every time she sees one! I have never even given much thought on the danger! Now I will!
Shame, Shame on this Sammy person!! Your words really hurt, even to someone who knows no one involved. My heart goes out to this family and everyone involved.
Brandi2000

Holton, KS

#77 Dec 7, 2011
To the lovely "Sammy" said those negative comments and needs to learn some ethics and think about others feelings. I've owned and competed horses since I was 10 and my sister and brother were younger than that. I've given riding lessons and nobody should be "accountable" for this sad accident. The family has to deal with a horrible loss and that's punishment enough alone. Yes, horses are animals and no matter the training/age, they can act out at any time due to them having their own mind. Any kid can get hurt or killed in gym class, then what? Everyone needs to quit sueing for stuff that happens in life. It's part of it as bad as that may seem. I've fallen, been bucked off, fell on plenty of times in my life through training and etc but I love the freedom and joy overall that I get from being around horses. When I was a kid, my horse was my best bud and she didn't judge me, just showed her affection and provided hours of entertainment for my siblings and me. I've had her for 20 years now and still love her along with my other 3! Horses are awesome animals and need to be respected and you can't always pin blame on someone. Just because you don't think it's right a 5 year old rides horses, doesn't mean it's not ok. Hello..we've been riding horses long before people were sueing anyone, it's part of our heritage. I do agree that adults need to be training and it should be in a arena. Bottom line, sueing/throwing someone in jail for a tragic loss, doesn't bring back a little girl.
Brandi2000

Holton, KS

#78 Dec 7, 2011
Oh and the larger the horse, they're usually have a better temperment and are calmer so size doesn't really matter much. Most ponies can be little butts, rough riding and/or bite. They're cute and maybe more managable size wise but I've been bucked off a Welsh pony when training and it happened so fast because he was small, snappy and quick! Point being, just because they're smaller doesn't mean things can't happen. Oh and it could happen to anyone at any age. Leave the judging up to God!
jen

Duncanville, TX

#79 Jan 28, 2012
People are so cruel. my daughter rides at three with me all the time. the first time she sat on a horse she was 6 months old. i'll agree that generally a big horse is easier to train to be gentle. think about it a pony is to small for an adult to get on and ride. So who do you think trained it? Probably a experienced young child. the only negligence here might be lack of helmet and to large of class. I don't even see a young trainer as a problem i trained start to finish a western pleasure horse who obtained 114 points through apha at 13. Many 30 year old horse savvy people couldn't pull that off. passing judgement is for the good lord. What is life if you cant live it? I would rather die young than never have any fun!! that little girl was probably having the time of her life before that horse spooked. This is nothing but a tragedy coming from parents trying to allow their child to enjoy her childhood? My heart goes out to the family!!
Toni

United States

#80 Feb 19, 2012
That's the problem with this country today: everyone wants to decide how everyone else gets to handle their own business. This was a tragic accident but it was an ACCIDENT. This child could have just as easily died from a car crash, drowning, the wrong imported fruit...

I see no fault to the parents. I started riding at three, as almost everyone I know. 4-H clubbers and all manner of country kids grow up tending, riding, showing, and even slaughtering all kinds of livestock. I suspect that the vast majority of negative comments are coming from places where a chicken or horse is a novelty animal and not a part of everyday life.

Accidents happen. People need to stay out of the business of other people and let them live their lives.
myob

United States

#81 Mar 2, 2012
Sammy wrote:
To the the dumb A$$ in Manchester UK, I own a 6000 pound truck because I own a ranch, I use it daily for my business. As I stated, I am very familiar with horses I learned to ride at an early age, certainly not 5, by boys and girls also learned to ride, also not at 5 years of age. I personally went to the arena where this tragic accident happened. I spoke with several people who know what happened, as one person stated, children should not be teaching children. Yes this is a tragic set of circumstances. But when you learn the facts you can only make one judgment. The parents were irresponsible for letting their daughter learn from this person. The teacher was inexperienced and should NEVER have been allowed to teach. As I stated before, had the parents used sound judgment and had the instructor been certified and had the experience to teach, this would NOT have happened. Someone, folks, needs to be held accountable, someone needs to go to jail. The tragic truth is that a little girl is dead, because someone F'ed up. Pure and simple. The law is the law, and if it is applied properly, someone has a cell waiting for them. RIP little angel, it was not your fault. You should have been playing with dolls, not horses.
Wow there are some really messed up people in this world. Accidents happen, this life can be sad. I think almost everyone reads you posting and wants to say 'I hope you die in a cell you devil tongue bitch. God forbid anything happens to your child and people blamed you. Somebody dies everyday, death has no discrimination and its sad but true.
horse lover

Walnut Creek, CA

#82 Jun 3, 2012
i ride horses and love it. we do allow five year olds to ride in my barn, they have a lesson, but they usually ride a pony, a very small pony,and the trainer is always with them. but a five year old on a 1500 pound horse?? some people are 10, and they cant even steer a horse that size.
Mileaway

Copperopolis, CA

#83 Jun 3, 2012
Sammy wrote:
To the the dumb A$$ in Manchester UK, I own a 6000 pound truck because I own a ranch, I use it daily for my business. As I stated, I am very familiar with horses I learned to ride at an early age, certainly not 5, by boys and girls also learned to ride, also not at 5 years of age. I personally went to the arena where this tragic accident happened. I spoke with several people who know what happened, as one person stated, children should not be teaching children. Yes this is a tragic set of circumstances. But when you learn the facts you can only make one judgment. The parents were irresponsible for letting their daughter learn from this person. The teacher was inexperienced and should NEVER have been allowed to teach. As I stated before, had the parents used sound judgment and had the instructor been certified and had the experience to teach, this would NOT have happened. Someone, folks, needs to be held accountable, someone needs to go to jail. The tragic truth is that a little girl is dead, because someone F'ed up. Pure and simple. The law is the law, and if it is applied properly, someone has a cell waiting for them. RIP little angel, it was not your fault. You should have been playing with dolls, not horses.
\
Sammy is absolutely right! There is "NO" excuse for the death of this child. The parents placed this child in harms way and the Trainer collaborated. Plain and simple. Sympathy for the loss of the child, yes. Pity on the parents and trainer, No. Involuntary manslaughter? More than likely at least.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ice-T announces Art of Rap festival with Afrika... 12 hr lol squared 3
News Miami Pop Artist Britto Charges Apple with Copy... Fri 87Jason 1
My Teen Verbally Abuses Me (Feb '09) Apr 21 Matthew_1 115
News VTA seems to think El Camino Real bus riders ar... (May '12) Apr 20 Lost Inspacevale 15
News Soon everyone will be an electric company (Jul '14) Apr 20 Frank Sinasstra 13
News Sunnyvale: Commission recommends education, not... Apr 20 Hellary Cliton 3
27year old man sexy looking for some kinky fun ... Apr 19 Mee 1
More from around the web

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]