Capt. Hans Henry Buhne's descendants are slipping away

There are still a few families with direct lineages to the area's first white settlers, but one among the most well-known is slowly fading away with the recent passing of Henry Buhne Redmond -- the great-grandson of Captain Hans Henry Buhne, among the crew of the schooner Laura Virginia that arrived on Humboldt Bay in April 1850. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
time

Eureka, CA

#22 Mar 24, 2009
ARCATA RESIDENT wrote:
<quoted text>
That's really really STUPID to turn a story about on of the first settlers in to your own little rant about pot. And then to add we should have cut down the last of the old growth is even less bright. I'm sure you have a great education as well . You seem very simple sir.
Go SUCK on another pipe and lose some more brain cells you h.s.u. idiot.......
Historical Values

United States

#24 Mar 26, 2009
Isn't it interesting after all these years how the Times-Standard writers still believe that one can dock your ship and claim the land to be yours??? I wish that I could go to Eureka, choose the house that I want and say "Now I like this one, and regardless of your living here first, I will call it mine!" Come on. Wake up, and lets report the truth already. It is time that Humboldt accepts the wrong doings of the past, and stops claiming what wasn't theirs in the first place.
Kuzinski

Modesto, CA

#25 Mar 26, 2009
Historical Values, if you have historical values you might realize that times were different then than they are now. What was acceptable 160 years ago is not necessarily acceptable now. I hear Thomas Jefferson being quoted now for his brilliance yet did he not do what is now considered wrong? George Washington did what is acceptable but is now considered wrong? Times change and values change. I don't believe the Times-Standard writers believe that one can dock their ship and claim the land. What they were reporting is what took place way, way back then. I wonder if the indians that were here in 1850 or so had kicked out some indians in 1830? Hmmm! Don't be so anxious to stretch history to fit your current values. By the way, I think you are living on "Osprey dives for fish"'s property.
ARCATA RESIDENT

Seaside, CA

#26 Mar 26, 2009
time wrote:
<quoted text>Go SUCK on another pipe and lose some more brain cells you h.s.u. idiot.......
You are really bright now. I'm in my fifties and don't even smoke pot you loser . I actually think it makes you stupid and lazy if you smoke it all day long. I just think it's even more dumb to be illegal. We waste money we don't have to enforce prohibition and to put non violent people in jail.

$.40.000 dollars a year is not worth it to me to put some guy who grows pot in jail . I would rather pay the teachers more money to educate kids

I think you need some anger management there redneck
ARCATA RESIDENT

Seaside, CA

#27 Mar 26, 2009
time wrote:
<quoted text>Go SUCK on another pipe and lose some more brain cells you h.s.u. idiot.......
If you have not figured it out yet , our State is broke plain and simple. And no matter what you like or think pot is the largest cash producer in this county. I have lived here since all we had here were rednecks and grew up hunting here and fishing here and I think we should just accept the fact that many many people depend on this money for their income that have nothing to do with growing pot.
ARCATA RESIDENT

Seaside, CA

#28 Mar 26, 2009
time wrote:
Car dealers , service industry , all the health food stores , garden stores , building supplies , hardware stores , resturants should I name another dozen or so??????
HumboldtCampbell

Fremont, CA

#29 Jun 12, 2013
Hello, Im trying to find info about "Harrison" do you know any history in the area that realates to that name off hand?...
Eureka history buff wrote:
Capn' H.H. Buhne will always be remembered in Eureka. RIP Mr Henery Buhne.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Belmont Cops Racist 22 hr justice4all 1
24 7 emergency locksmith (Dec '11) Wed Calvin James 14
Rouse Properties Executes Three H&M Leases at K... Tue kev 1
Complaints Against Google+ Mon Ditto 93
Daly City Officer Charged With Excessive Force (Aug '06) Nov 24 harry singh 374
Ben smith Nov 22 old friend 1
Surenos gang member gets new trial date (Aug '08) Nov 8 jeff6 281

Palo Alto News Video

Palo Alto Dating
Find my Match