Capt. Hans Henry Buhne's descendants are slipping away

There are still a few families with direct lineages to the area's first white settlers, but one among the most well-known is slowly fading away with the recent passing of Henry Buhne Redmond -- the great-grandson of Captain Hans Henry Buhne, among the crew of the schooner Laura Virginia that arrived on Humboldt Bay in April 1850. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Eureka history buff

Eureka, CA

#1 Mar 23, 2009
Capn' H.H. Buhne will always be remembered in Eureka. RIP Mr Henery Buhne.
native

Arcata, CA

#2 Mar 23, 2009
hmmmm. All of the members of a pioneer family have left the area. Does that tell you something? The future is not here.
Frommyipod

Eugene, OR

#3 Mar 23, 2009
native wrote:
hmmmm. All of the members of a pioneer family have left the area. Does that tell you something? The future is not here.
Yup.agree
Mary Ann Cowley-Dal Porto

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Mar 23, 2009
I climbed on Buhne Point as a 12 year old and then when PG&E came in they leveled it when they took the road for their plant and moved our road south to enter King Salmon and our road became Buhne Drive. We did not know what they were building and later found out it was a nuclear plant. Imagine our surprise when a neighbor and I took a boat ride into a canal where PG&E was building and workers told us "Don't touch the water" ....it made no sense to us as the water went into all the canals at King Salmon and then into Humboldt Bay!
time

Eureka, CA

#5 Mar 23, 2009
native wrote:
Right on this place is going to POT .The Radical Environmentalists pot heads have destroyed any opportunity for living wage jobs hear on the north coast .Young people that do not want to grow pot and collect disability by being dishonest .Now have very little choice but to get out and hope for a better future somewhere where opportunity still exists..

P.S. HEADWATERS SHOULD HAVE BEEN CUT DOWN
Mike

Grand Prairie, TX

#6 Mar 23, 2009
"...area's first white settlers"

...and look what it has lead to!

Do I dare touch this with a ten foot pole?

Ya, okay!

-Mr. Custer, Larry Verne, Dumb Ditties (Re-Recorded Versions) Pop

“HENCHMAN OF JUSTICE”

Since: Dec 07

McKinleyville

#7 Mar 23, 2009
Did H.B. Redmond develop the Redmond Road neighborhood just north/northwest from Three Corners Market (near Freshawater School) along the newly repaved county road?

Jeffrey Lytle
McKinleyville - 5th District
Middle-o-the-roa d

United States

#8 Mar 23, 2009
native wrote:
Hmmmmm, all the pioneer families who rounded up the local "native" people and slaughtered them have left or are leaving the area. Yep.
Shorty

United States

#9 Mar 23, 2009
What a great story and thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!
Lebowski

Sacramento, CA

#10 Mar 23, 2009
native wrote:
Yep, the white seetlers have destroyed Humboldt County with thier greed and hate.
yep

Fortuna, CA

#11 Mar 23, 2009
time wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on this place is going to POT .The Radical Environmentalists pot heads have destroyed any opportunity for living wage jobs hear on the north coast .Young people that do not want to grow pot and collect disability by being dishonest .Now have very little choice but to get out and hope for a better future somewhere where opportunity still exists..
What the hell are you talking about? You want an argument, go down to Arcata Plaza and yell at a hippy! I'm a working schmoe just like yourself but I don't think that using up all our resources (i.e. cutting down the headwaters) and polluting our waterways is the long-term goals for sustainability. The economy in Humboldt County is a poor, small economy not a large, Wal-Mart laddened, industrial capital like Southern California. You want opportunity go to Southern CA and join the rest of your conservatives
Middle-o-the-roa d

United States

#12 Mar 23, 2009
yep, Redway, CA.

The San Joaquin Valley and Roseville/Rocklin and Lincoln are the last large repubican strongholds here in CA. Even San Diego, Orange County and the coastal cities like Santa Barbara are now in the middle of the road and not so hard right.

Time, Eureka, CA.

No offense, butt if you want to live in a forest gump dreamworld, move to the bible-belt where you can marry your sister!
mooooooooooo

United States

#14 Mar 23, 2009
Buhne will long be remembered as the most famous Humboldt resident whose name is impossible to pronounce. Boon? Booner? Boony? Buunny?

Since: Nov 08

Shasta Lake, CA

#15 Mar 23, 2009
Shorty wrote:
What a great story and thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!
I agree it was a great story.
me is me

United States

#16 Mar 23, 2009
time wrote:
<quoted text>
Anger management anyone?
Kuzinski

Modesto, CA

#17 Mar 23, 2009
Thanks for the story. Hank was a cool dude who very much enjoyed life. Thanks for the positive comments. History gives roots and stability. Join the "Humboldt Historical Society" to help gain a further appreciation for the families, events and places that have made Humboldt County what it is. And it is a very good place regardless of those who only see the negative.
ARCATA RESIDENT

Seaside, CA

#18 Mar 24, 2009
time wrote:
<quoted text>
That's really really STUPID to turn a story about on of the first settlers in to your own little rant about pot. And then to add we should have cut down the last of the old growth is even less bright. I'm sure you have a great education as well . You seem very simple sir.
E Cole

Fresno, CA

#19 Mar 24, 2009
I knew Hank as a child as i only lived 5 blocks from him and I knew hes Mother well . They lived on the corner of Henderson and H st. Hank was always just a big kid. He had big ideas about changeing Buhnes Hardware but he did not understand the business moved it to 7th and E st. and lost it all. The old family home was torn down. It was between 7th and 8th st later the White house was built on the corner there. oh The good old days in Eureka
Allen Henderson

Denver, CO

#20 Mar 24, 2009
My respects to Mr Redmond, and descendents of the Buhne family. Allen Henderson (Eureka native, now in Mountain View).
madriver

San Carlos, CA

#21 Mar 24, 2009
Jeffrey Lytle wrote:
Did H.B. Redmond develop the Redmond Road neighborhood just north/northwest from Three Corners Market (near Freshawater School) along the newly repaved county road?
Jeffrey Lytle
McKinleyville - 5th District
Redmond road was named for the Redmonds who had a small ranch at the end of the road. This was Sheriff Redmond, Henry's grandfather. A woman in Andy Genzoli's Humboldt History class at College of the Redwoods did a story on Redmond Road in the middle 70's if I remember right. The Humboldt Historical Society should have a copy, it talks about the cafe and families that lived along the road.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Soon everyone will be an electric company 4 hr Mike Honka 4
'Hybrid' store displays new plans (Jun '07) 7 hr Mike Honka 5
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... 7 hr Mike Honka 36
annoying helicopter flying near fremont st and ... (Sep '08) 7 hr Mike Honka 15
Highly curious about being a sub/slave to a mis... 7 hr Mike Honka 2
Which cheap and legit site to buy fifa 15 coins? Dec 26 alex 3
Daly City Officer Charged With Excessive Force (Aug '06) Dec 24 yes call me 09864... 376

High Wind Watch for Santa Clara County was issued at December 28 at 1:55PM PST

Palo Alto News Video

Palo Alto Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Palo Alto News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Palo Alto

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News