A rejuvenated Grateful Dead winds up first tour in five years

Fourteen years after Jerry Garcia's death, the four surviving members of the Grateful Dead have finally come together again as a band. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just in Case

San Jose, CA

#1 May 11, 2009
Last night certainly beat out Saturday's in LA. Still, no Jerry = no Dead.
PengiunMan

San Francisco, CA

#3 May 11, 2009
Hey DeadHeaders,

Make sure to check out the Jerry Garcia Memorial Statue / Sculpture I am working on with Dead artist Stanley Mouse and others for Fairfax, CA

Nobody knows about this but there is a Jerry Memorial there already, been there for over 13 years. It is hidden away now it will shine.

www.JerryMemorial.com

Peace,
PenguinMan
tbt

San Francisco, CA

#4 May 11, 2009
fizzax wrote:
i'll be grateful when they're dead
All we say to people like you is to bad you don't "get it" !
No loss for us, big loss for you !!
Blaine Stewart

San Rafael, CA

#5 May 11, 2009
That concert was a insult to hard working fans, over priced tickets and lack luster musicians. Jerry was the only one worth seeing amongst them.
The Dead SUCK.
Oh and Bob Weir is not a nice person.
Palo Alto Old Fart

San Mateo, CA

#6 May 11, 2009
I've been backstage dozens of times, grew up across the street from Pig Pen. Here's some inside info: The reason for all the extremely long breaks between sets was because the band would wait until the end of the first set and then have a meeting and decide what kind of food to have delivered. There was always plenty of food for all the crew members, but the Bozo Brothers had to decide at the moment and order take out. They didn't eat crew food. Hence the two hour breaks between sets. That and the Nitrous tent.
Book Em Danno

Alameda, CA

#7 May 12, 2009
I think they had one good song.
The We

Oakland, CA

#8 May 12, 2009
Hey Libratore!!

The Greatful Dead disbanded years ago. The band on tour now is The Dead or formerly The Other Ones. Either way they are not the Greatful Dead. They have similar members and a similar sound but the feel and groove is all gone, replaced with commercial and political crap.
tax payer

Novato, CA

#9 May 12, 2009
Didn't they just play that song?
I was at Shoreline

San Jose, CA

#10 May 12, 2009
I'm sad to admit it was NOT the Dead of years gone by. Instead, it was $12 beers,$5 waters,$40 tee shirts, and a sea of belligerent 20-somethings that had no respect for those around them. The band was weak during the first set, and the spirit of community that *was* the Grateful Dead just didn't click. For those of us over 50, it was difficult to see our peers in the crowd. Instead, it was kids yelling blustery "it was better with Jerry Man!" when they were not even old enough to understand the scene. I know my message is negative, and that, too, is not the way of old days, but this was a commercial experience, not a GD one. If the band truly wants to give us a ride, I would prefer a musical one over the economic one we got. Sorry.
MCO

Mill Valley, CA

#11 May 12, 2009
The Dead were 'dead' ten years before Jerry died. Isn't it great how 'friends' can make money off a dead person?

Since: Jan 09

Duarte, CA

#12 May 12, 2009
The Dead - I thought they were dead. Just die already or keep campaigning for Obama, geeeez!

Freeeeken dead heads.
Upins Oke

Novato, CA

#13 May 12, 2009
Wowwwww mannnnnn....I didn't know Jerrrry Garcia was dead man. I guess I should cut back on the weed.... you say he's been dead for how long...wow man, that's just not coool....
..oh, what was I talking about man?
Jake

Concord, CA

#14 May 12, 2009
Hey, if you people don't like it, or don't like what you hear, don't buy tickets and don't listen. You're free in America to go watch your boy bands and gangsta rap all you want, and we won't say a thing. Peace.
Chronicle Reader

San Ramon, CA

#15 May 12, 2009
'to go watch your boy bands and gangsta rap all you want, and we won't say a thing" - spread your hate elsewhere Jake. Peace.
Pedestrian

Alamo, CA

#16 May 12, 2009
Jake wrote:
go watch your boy bands and gangsta rap all you want, and we won't say a thing
You just said "a thing"... didn't you? Yeah, you did. Pretty judgmental for not being the judgmental type...
Belle in Tahoe

Truckee, CA

#18 May 12, 2009
Overall, the show was great. It was an iconic gathering of a following, where Jerry lives inside each of us. The fans were just like I remember from June 1986, tie-dyed, colorful, living and loving life, and there were some that were very dreddie. The dredd-locks varied, some were nicer than others, while some were outright grungy and stinky. Amazing how this music can take you back to your youth.
Some of the songs lacked their usual fast-pace, however, Unbroken Chain was a pleasant surprise to hear live.

Bobby looked tired and older--he could have had a little more enthusiasm playing Sugaree. Phil always looks happy and healthy. Bob and Mickey appeared healthy and vibrant and I thought they stole the show with the drums and the fire dancers. A great time and I'm looking forward to many more!!!
Just in Case

San Jose, CA

#19 May 12, 2009
Right on Belle - you're blessed.
Good Times

Camarillo, CA

#20 May 13, 2009
There was a great deal of music going on if you really listened. Warren is not trying to be Jerry as he is his own a Great musician. There were times both Phil and Bob approached the mic to continue singing and just laughed when the looked over at Warren and he was still shredding during the song.

Go for the music and not the other things that you did 20 years ago... Change with the times or you will be a grumpy old person living in the past...

Appreciate the music for what it is Great Musicians creating Great Music! We loved the Jams...
Book Em Danno

San Francisco, CA

#21 May 13, 2009
Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Allman Brothers Band,America,Bad Company,Black Sabbath,Boston,Cheap Trick,Chicago,Deep Purple,Dio,the Doobie Brothers, the Eagles,Eric Clapton,Foghat,Huey Lewis&The News,Jethro Tull, Journey,Meat Loaf,Metallica,Pat Benatar,Pink Floyd,The Police,Queen,Red Hot Chili Peppers,Reo Speedwagon,Sammy Hagar,Santana,Ted Nugent,Van Halen. These are just a few of the groups that are better than the Grateful Dead. But everyone's entitled to their opimion.
tbt

San Francisco, CA

#22 May 13, 2009
Book Em Danno wrote:
Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Allman Brothers Band,America,Bad Company,Black Sabbath,Boston,Cheap Trick,Chicago,Deep Purple,Dio,the Doobie Brothers, the Eagles,Eric Clapton,Foghat,Huey Lewis&The News,Jethro Tull, Journey,Meat Loaf,Metallica,Pat Benatar,Pink Floyd,The Police,Queen,Red Hot Chili Peppers,Reo Speedwagon,Sammy Hagar,Santana,Ted Nugent,Van Halen. These are just a few of the groups that are better than the Grateful Dead. But everyone's entitled to their opimion.

What's an opimion ? Once again, just because YOU didn't "get it" doesn't mean it wasn't great music.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Racial profiling by Facebook against Natives, w... 16 hr ghostdancer1890 1
Awful humming/thrumming sound in the middle of ... (Jun '12) Wed Suzette 37
Downtown North Wed ralph 1
UPDATE 1-Vivus says erectile dysfunction drug m... (Sep '12) Tue joshjonhson 20
Complaints Against Google+ (Jul '14) Mar 2 andrewharas 100
Long Beacha s middle class, then ... and now Mar 1 Lucy 4
Moderators why have i been shadow banned? (Jun '14) Feb 27 Fracking Doodooda 4

Palo Alto News Video

Palo Alto Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:18 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:18PM
How Does Darnell Dockett Signing Impact 49ers' Offseason Plans?
ESPN 4:58 PM
49ers sign WR Simpson to two-year deal
Bleacher Report 5:10 PM
Aldon Smith, 49ers Restructure Contract: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction
Yahoo! Sports 5:57 PM
Jones-Drew retires from NFL
ESPN 6:22 PM
49ers OL Smith converts salary into bonuses