California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 Full story: Chain Store Age 5,117

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Full Story
Bob

Sonoma, CA

#5639 Jun 28, 2014
June Beam wrote:
There is a very simple solution to the bag problem. I've been doing it for several years now and it not only eliminates the bag pollution problem, but it also improves my health. When I go to the grocery store I try to park as close as I can to the entrance and then I leave the car doors unlocked. I'll usually be buying 20 or 30 items, so when I get ready to check out, I get in the line that's close to the exit door. As the checker is ringing up my items, I'll grab as many as I can hold and run from the checkout stand to my car and dump them on the floor; then run back inside to the checkout stand and grab another arm load and run back to the car. When everything is in the car, I go back inside and pay for my purchases. I always do my shopping at the same store, so they're familiar with my procedure and they're good with it. And when I say, "run," I'm not talking jogging, I'm talking full out sprinting. When I first started doing this, I weighed 147 pounds. Now I weigh 113 pounds. So you see, I look fit and I get a good Cardio workout and perspire a bit on warm days while helping to keep the environment clean. If I can do that (I'm a 43 year old woman) then you can do it too. Just be careful. I accidently knocked down an elderly lady on one occasion and we don't want to be doing that.
Ma & me been wantin to thanx you for them groceries. We come in the peeled taurus and always keep litlle stinker onna leesh so you dont got feared none. wen you first dumped them groceries in, we figured we gotta get gone on outta there as them was being took. Now we wait for the whole show. Thanx. Me & Ma.( could you may get some beer that is gluden free next time as ma is sensitive. Ya Piggly wiggly kroger.
rabuf

Garden Grove, CA

#5640 Jun 28, 2014
I am not sure about that.
Bumbed Ann C

Monrovia, CA

#5641 Jun 28, 2014
Ann Coulter sucks a cold one anyway, she is a real downer.
Mrs Coulter

Livermore, CA

#5642 Jun 28, 2014
My daughter is a miserable worthless low-life POS whose only joy in life is being mean. She'd stab me or you just for kicks if she thought she'd get away with it.

It's no wonder tea baggers, Fox "News" watchers, and similar idiots like her. My biggest regret in life is not aborting her. I apologize to the world for failing to do so.
Flightless

Monrovia, CA

#5645 Jun 28, 2014
Coulter can take a flight with the hummingbirds for all I care.
The Hummingbirds

San Francisco, CA

#5646 Jun 29, 2014
Like hell she can. We don't want that nasty tch anywhere near us.
Herd

Monrovia, CA

#5647 Jun 29, 2014
Ann Coulter can take flight with a herd of her hummingbirds for all I care.
concerned resident

Antioch, CA

#5648 Jun 29, 2014
Why how many plastic bags have killed people is.. it higher than people getting.shot to.death ha ha ha Thank god i have my box cutter still lol now were am i gonna hide my gun lmao
BE a

Monrovia, CA

#5649 Jun 29, 2014
Then be a good resident and choose paper instead of plastic.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#5651 Jun 30, 2014
I love how Ann Coulter sticks it to the left. She writes about who profits from global warming, and how.
trash too

Monrovia, CA

#5652 Jun 30, 2014
Put this topic in the trash too
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#5654 Jun 30, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
I love how Ann Coulter sticks it to the left. She writes about who profits from global warming, and how.
Big Oil makes the most profit when Government taxpayer subsidized NGO activists outlaw free grocery and goods carry bags. The disease spreading heavily taxed Lowenthal bags are made from cotton. Global warming causing fertilizer must be applied to growing fields in order to keep the cotton yield up. That fertilizer is made from oil. According to the instruction book:

"And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire." (Revelation 16:8)

"And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory." (Revelation 16:9)

Ronald
Close it

Monrovia, CA

#5655 Jun 30, 2014
Close this site down.
LaTrina LaToona Sangs

Sonoma, CA

#5656 Jul 2, 2014
Yowzer! What they has got plan is that everything will cost so much that you wont need no bag for what you can buy as all you can buy is one thing atta time, if even. Yowzer.
The world

Monrovia, CA

#5657 Jul 2, 2014
Stooges in city hall have:

It appears the GOP-pigs have been eating to many truffles and they are unleashing another political gas-attack on this web site, to protect undeserving political stooges in Glendora city hall.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#5658 Jul 2, 2014
If the Earth depends on how you carry groceries home from the store, then evolution was a mistake and we are doomed to extinction.

They hate free bags because they hate freedom.
Whind Up

Monrovia, CA

#5659 Jul 3, 2014
10 Stooges in city hall have:

It appears the GOP-pigs have been eating to many truffles and they are unleashing another political gas-attack on this web site, to protect undeserving political stooges in Glendora city hall.

Since: May 11

Ontario, CA

#5661 Jul 8, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Reusable shopping bags are disgusting, dirty and often shed pet hair. I want nothing to do with them.(message truncated)
If your reusable shopping bags are disgusting dirty and shed pet hair, it's because you are disgusting, dirty and shed pet hair, smelly vagina juice and everything else.

The shopping bags can be washed, or could you figure that out?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#5662 Jul 9, 2014
The problem isn't my bags alone, the lady in front of me at the checkout line keeps her bags in the back of her SUV where her dog sits.

The disposable free bags are cleaner. You don't need to waste time, water and energy to wash the plastic and paper bags they used to give for free.
Bannos

Monrovia, CA

#5663 Jul 9, 2014
You can ban anything you want

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for some girls in miami Tue Brazillover 1
Ron Obenchain Psycho Stalker!!! 55 years old Tue NeverAgain 1
La Victoria's Orange Sauce (Jan '06) Tue Kay 128
Beam me up Scottie Oct 20 guest 12
Is this intergration or segregation Whatever ha... Oct 18 Love it or Leave it 1
Palo Alto Hosts 'Smart' City Partner From Austr... Oct 15 Sick of paying fo... 1
Musk's Tesla D Intrigue Stokes Rally in Mobiley... Oct 7 amineunited 2

Palo Alto News Video

Palo Alto Dating
Find my Match

Palo Alto Jobs

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Palo Alto News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Palo Alto

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]