California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
4,161 - 4,180 of 5,007 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago
Flaggers

Monrovia, CA

#4860 Jul 1, 2013
Republicans are sucking on the short end of a dirty stick again, can't get enough of those communist republican.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#4861 Jul 1, 2013
Flaggers wrote:
Republicans are sucking on the short end of a dirty stick again, can't get enough of those communist republican.
Study Communism. It defines Obama.
Daffy

Monrovia, CA

#4862 Jul 1, 2013
It' "toon time" looks like the Mormon whackers of Prop-8. just can't take a good beating in the USA Supreme Court, June 2013 - get over it sicko's.

If you don't like it you can take your Multi-wife families back to UTAH or better yet Mexico.

Get out of California, you will not be missed.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#4863 Jul 1, 2013
Daffy wrote:
It' "toon time" looks like the Mormon whackers of Prop-8. just can't take a good beating in the USA Supreme Court, June 2013 - get over it sicko's.
If you don't like it you can take your Multi-wife families back to UTAH or better yet Mexico.
Get out of California, you will not be missed.
So you don't like marriage equality? Hypocrite!
Rotten

Monrovia, CA

#4864 Jul 1, 2013
Top Vatican bank managers has resigned amid cash-smuggling scandal
sociopathic Liberals

Chico, CA

#4865 Jul 1, 2013
I cannot believe how many have posted on here:
"Free Plastic Bags"???
Do you people really believe that you do not pay for these bags???
Do you for one second believe that the cost of these bags are not incorporated into the costs of the products that you buy???
And now the Govt. wants their piece of the pie, with a tax? A supposed tax to save the earth, whales, polar bears, seals, spotted owls, etc, etc, etc..........

Peoples naivety and ignorance? It is mind blowing!!!

You know? It is just like those out there who HATE oil companies for making supposed obscene profits on a gallon of gas! While they love the Govt. that makes/takes ten, twenty, thirty times as much per gallon for NOTHING!!!!

I just don't get it!
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#4866 Jul 1, 2013
sociopathic Liberals wrote:
I cannot believe how many have posted on here:
"Free Plastic Bags"???
Do you people really believe that you do not pay for these bags???
Do you for one second believe that the cost of these bags are not incorporated into the costs of the products that you buy???
And now the Govt. wants their piece of the pie, with a tax? A supposed tax to save the earth, whales, polar bears, seals, spotted owls, etc, etc, etc..........
Peoples naivety and ignorance? It is mind blowing!!!
You know? It is just like those out there who HATE oil companies for making supposed obscene profits on a gallon of gas! While they love the Govt. that makes/takes ten, twenty, thirty times as much per gallon for NOTHING!!!!
I just don't get it!
Did the price of the products go down when plastic bags were no longer provided to shoppers as a courtesy? Nope. I do agree regarding government over-reach and corruption.
Thinkless

Monrovia, CA

#4867 Jul 1, 2013
Government is in place to take care of idiots like Bowser and other idiots who thinkless than normal.
Monica

Barstow, CA

#4868 Jul 1, 2013
When is the Monica is driving to Hesperia, California?
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#4869 Jul 2, 2013
Monica wrote:
When is the Monica is driving to Hesperia, California?
Never, so stop spamming.
Infantile Left Winged

Chico, CA

#4870 Jul 2, 2013
Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
Did the price of the products go down when plastic bags were no longer provided to shoppers as a courtesy? Nope. I do agree regarding government over-reach and corruption.
Obviously, you have no business management or ownership experience!
In laymen's terms... your ignorance is as bright as the morning sun on a 100+ degree day!!!!!!!!!
laughing elections

Monrovia, CA

#4871 Jul 2, 2013
When our city council (Glendora) was up for election these “boobs” were our heros (?) and those who were running against our heros were the boobs, I always wondered how Judy Nelson, a real bimbo, could get enough votes, she did very little during the campaign yet she won.

Karen Davis had an affair, a divorce and a bankruptcy, but what’s the dif, who cares, vote her in.

Douglas Tessitor is on the verge of senility but he's still putters along as long as he doesn’t drool while in pubic view.

Gene Murbito I can understand, I think he has a connection with the Mafia, cross him and its all over. Wasn't there a height requirement posted, you must be this tall before you can ride this?

What are the good, honest voters of Glendora, California thinking of when they vote?
smart

Kuttawa, KY

#4872 Jul 5, 2013
yep
SliceOfLife

Monrovia, CA

#4873 Jul 5, 2013
When the city council (Glendora) was up for election these “boobs” were our heros (?) and those who were running against our heros were the boobs.

I always wondered how Judy Nelson, a real bimbo, could get enough votes, she did very little during the campaign yet she won.

Karen Davis had an affair, a divorce and a bankruptcy, but what’s the dif, who cares, vote her in.

Douglas Tessitor is on the verge of senility but he's still putters along as long as he doesn’t drool while in pubic view.

Gene Murbito I can understand, I think he has a connection with the Mafia, cross him and its all over. Wasn't there a height requirement posted, you must be this tall before you can ride this?

What are the good, honest voters of Glendora, California thinking of when they vote?
Billie Bojangulls

Sonoma, CA

#4874 Jul 5, 2013
None of these here bags is made in a Xmas loving country except where different. That is important and ought to be investigated. 76% are made in Chow Yuk Prison in china, 23% are made in N. Korea in Qimchee prison. 17% are made in Almoranas Prison in Mexico, 8% are made in Freedom Loving Prison in Russia, 12% are made in Cuba's Marincon Prison and are smuggled through Guantanamo to the U S.
Full speed ahead

Monrovia, CA

#4875 Jul 5, 2013
Because of widespread public outrage and newspaper editorials, Gov. Jerry Brown retreated from his recent effort to diminish democratic governance by gutting our open-government and public-records access laws.

It's time to preclude similar attempts by strengthening and solidifying their protections by incorporation into the California Constitution. These further protections would require stricter justification for closed sessions and require greater disclosure of actions taken; heightened availability, assistance and faster response times to public records requests; stricter documentation for any denial; and creation of oversight commissions that would guarantee appeal opportunities and corrective measures to protect our rights.
Bug Bug Khan III

Sonoma, CA

#4876 Jul 7, 2013
Now the new Economics czar says that there is only hope when we recognize that if we have no money, and no one makes any money, and no one wants to pay taxes, and no one wants any less than they are enjoying right now but would prefer more for sure while everyone wants everything in return for all this nothing, then the most direct route to balance is continued deficit spending. We print and spend and we print and spend and we print and spend and we NEVER offer to redeem the print for anything. We treat the stuff as a kind receipt of a semi secret gentlemen's agreement to maybe do something in return, non-comittal, in the distant future, Maybe, sort of. Back to sleep guys & Gals.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#4878 Jul 7, 2013
Californian liberals are at war with climate change, poverty and social injustice; freedom is the first casualty. Truth is next.
Plastic

Monrovia, CA

#4879 Jul 7, 2013
More plastic than you can shake a credit card at.
Infantile Left Winged

Chico, CA

#4880 Jul 8, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Californian liberals are at war with climate change, poverty and social injustice; freedom is the first casualty. Truth is next.
Truth is already destroyed! It's proven on here with every single liberal post!
They HATE the truth, because it conflicts with their immorality, injustice, perversion, and pure hatred of good clean living!

The truth? It has NO liberal friends!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Safeway Store Clerks Are Idiots - Can't Pronoun... 3 hr John Delano 1
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 6 hr Soaked good 200,593
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... 10 hr Fan 29
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 15 hr lazy posts 15,963
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
Camden, TN. Topix Moderator (Aug '13) Aug 25 Mavis 11
Border Agents Make Zero-Tolerance Zone (Aug '06) Aug 20 guest 48
•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••