Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
190,161 - 190,180 of 200,325 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
Shootists

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Cleveland Ohio — It hasn't been a good year for the Cleveland Police Department.
A county prosecutor is investigating a deadly chase in November that involved more than 60 squad cars and ended with 137 shots fired by 13 officers at two unarmed black people. The U.S. Department of Justice is reviewing years of excessive force claims.

Isn't this the same IDIOT state John Boehner is from the Republican Terrorists?

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on how that civil right is defined. Marriage, the legally recognized union of one man and one woman as husband and wife, is a civil right based on that union. Change the union, change the right. So when does it no longer become a civil right? Is SSM a civil right? Plural marriage? Incest?
That is YOUR definition of a marriage. We do not need to change your marriage in any way. However, gays have the same right as you do to marry the person of their choice. The 14th amendment guarantees equal access to the laws of this country. Marriage provides a huge number of privileges and rights that cannot be gained in any other manner. Thus, SSM is a civil right.

Plural marriages present a more difficult challenge, again based on the rights and privileges inherent to the institution of marriage. If those challenges can be adequately addressed, I will be fighting just as hard as I am now to make plural marriages legal for all who wish to be in such.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
FOR THE LAST TIME YOU COMMIE....YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY THE PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO VOTE!!!! Or put proposals on a ballot TO BE VOTED ON! IF you don't like it.......MOVE TO NORTH KOREA!!!!!!!
You cannot "vote" to deny people's civil rights. That is why the original Constitution was amended with the Bill of Rights.

Or, well, okay, you CAN put it on a ballot and vote on it, you do have that right, but you better EXPECT that it will be tossed out as soon as it lands in court. Checks and Balances in action!
LemonHead Boehner

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

As House Republicans gathered Friday, Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, signaled his continued opposition to bringing up a vote for a clean.

A six-week extension of government spending at current levels even though it appeared such a measure could pass with the support of most Democrats and a handful of Republicans.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Gustavo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I kind of understand what you mean, because now my civil rights are being taken away from me in this tug of war.
That is a lie, and you know it. You do not lose anything with Gays getting their right to marriage recognized.
Gustavo wrote:
Every thing was fine until the gay cult began chasing their dream to be accepted by society and the government. In doing that the cult forced and demanded to change what was their own right to marry, we all had the same rights.
The only way to have a rational conversation is for you to stop lying. If they had always had the same rights, we would not be having this discussion.
Gustavo wrote:
It was you twisted FKs that made up your own twisted rules. Now there is real divide between the sane and the insane.
Okay, then you should work to become sane. End of problem, since the only problem is yours.
Gustavo wrote:
Gays are still not accepted by the feds because you never did get everything that you wanted.
Only a matter of time...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Gustavo wrote:
<quoted text>
My rights to live among a moral society. Homosexualse are changing what was once the American way of life, families that had a female for a mother and a male for a father. I have no problem if you want to be gay, just don't change the rules at my expense. If you want to remember what the good old days were like just check out old movies 30s 40s 50s. I know they are movies but they do show how what American life was based on.
So, demanding that gays NOT get married is somehow more moral than allowing them to form stable, committed partnerships? And as far as those movies go, they also show blacks as the servants (or criminals) and Asians as inscrutable villains. I don't think going backwards with a society is ever a good idea.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t always agree with democrats, but at least they aren’t on the bus heading over the cliff.
No they're driving it.
The right to marry still exists and is extended to encompasses same sex couples as well, freedom, justice and equality prevails, and you lose.
How is it "extended"? If you're so big on "extending" marriage, then you must be in favor of "freedom, justice, and equality", for plural marriage families too.
Fire Hole Republicans

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Washington D.C. a man has been flown to the hospital after setting himself on fire on the National Mall, to protest the stupity of the Republican and Tea Party member's stupid activity.

Fire crews responded Friday, October 04, 2013 afternoon to a report of a man on fire at 7th Street and Madison Drive. A witness says she saw a man dump a red canister of gasoline on his head and then set himself on fire.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot "vote" to deny people's civil rights. That is why the original Constitution was amended with the Bill of Rights.
No but one can vote on how a significant social, cultural, historical, and/or religious institution, is legally defined. Last I knew the civil right to marry was based on the male female understanding of marriage and applied to all men and women equally. I guess your point it, some are more equal than others.
Or, well, okay, you CAN put it on a ballot and vote on it, you do have that right, but you better EXPECT that it will be tossed out as soon as it lands in court. Checks and Balances in action!
So if a state votes in favor of SSM and someone sued to have it overturned in court, and the court agreed, would you support that? Or is it only you agree when the vote is in favor of an issue you support?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
So, demanding that gays NOT get married is somehow more moral than allowing them to form stable, committed partnerships?
One does not need the state to "form stable, committed partnerships". No one is demanding gays not marry, or marry. It's a matter of what marriage is, and why it's defined they way it is.
And as far as those movies go, they also show blacks as the servants (or criminals) and Asians as inscrutable villains. I don't think going backwards with a society is ever a good idea.
No, but not everything is "progress".
laughing man

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Mikey Cesspool wrote:
<quoted text>
ignorant bigoted piece of sh+t
But since your ass is a landfill, you're a tolerant genius, ain't that right, juvenile shitferbrains?
Flounders

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

The stupid Republicans and Tea Party Flounders drained their own swamp and now they are beached and surely parish.

Like a beached whale and they too will die off,.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a lie, and you know it. You do not lose anything with Gays getting their right to marriage recognized.
Gays, as individual men and women, have the same right to marry,as nay other man or woman.
The only way to have a rational conversation is for you to stop lying. If they had always had the same rights, we would not be having this discussion.
So who's lying here? The same right has always existed. There are some who do not wish to exercise it the same way, as any other man or woman.
laughing man

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Covina Quar wrote:
The stupid Republicans and Tea Party Flounders drained their own swamp and now they are beached and surely parish.
Like a beached whale and they too will die off,.
You've been reduced to a robotic reductio ad absurdum, Emo. It's all over.

JUMP!!!!
Cit-Head Boeher

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

But if this goes on for another couple weeks—which a lot of people are predicting—then we're going to need to keep pushing. Here's what we have planned next:
•TV ads demanding that Speaker John Boehner stop blocking legislation passed by the Senate—and supported by a majority of the House of Representatives.
•Continued online ads aimed at swing voters in the closest districts.
•Rallies and "thank you" events to make sure Democrats continue to stand strong against Republican hostage-taking.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a minute here Riccardo. Weren't you the first to complain about the vote being tossed by the court? Think about it. In the political arena of U.S. democracy, all is fair game. Closing down stuff and pointing fingers is just one part of that democracy. The bottom line is our leaders and political parties don't work toward reaching consensus but toward pleasing various special interest groups. They are becoming more and more polarized every day. Your harsh words only fuel this type of polarization which results in gridlock. Perhaps we need to crash and burn so that we can all get back on the same page again, which is a very likely outcome.
Remember what he's doing: Last week he fired the second-in-command of our nuclear arsenal, on trumped up gambling charges.

That's how they kill people today. In the old days they would just take them out and shoot them.

Now the top Marine has forced two generals into retirement who are stern, good combat veterans.

He did what he had to do to keep his own job, I'm sure.

He blamed them because the Taliban overran a British run airfield in Afghanistan and the enemy was able to penetrate the perimeter.

Obama is conducting a war against anyone in our military who might stand up to his potential coup.

Some people may call me crazy, but I have studied history.

Obama's egotism and power madness knows no bounds.

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t always agree with democrats, but at least they aren’t on the bus heading over the cliff.
The right to marry still exists and is extended to encompasses same sex couples as well, freedom, justice and equality prevails, and you lose.
They are the ones Rigging the bus so it breaks down with the Republicans riding it so they can play the blame games.

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Bee On Boehners wrote:
GOP demands negotiation as shutdown drags on 4th day of stupity brought on by the GOP/Republican Tea Party Bingo bums.
The Tea Party fools have made Boehner their b I t C h.
How dare they want to negotiate. LOL
Gustavo

San Pedro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming from a ignorant bigoted piece of sh+t like you, I'll consider it a compliment.
"an ignorant" not a ignorant. And you would consider any degrading comment as a compliment. Here comes another compliment, you are a loser you homo. STFU
Gustavo

San Pedro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Okay, then you should work to become sane. End of problem, since the only problem is yours.
<quoted text>
Only a matter of time...
Ok I assume you are gay, now don't you lie, where in the consitution does it say you can not marry?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
Palo Alto Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••