Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 200,976

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#214855 Sep 6, 2013
Greg Kirschmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Same Sex Marriage....
Argentina
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark:
· Denmark proper
France
Iceland
Mexico:1
· DF, QR, CH
Netherlands:
· Netherlands proper
New Zealand:
· New Zealand proper
Norway
Portugal
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom:
· England & Wales†
United States:
· CA, CT, DC, DE, IA,
· MA, MD, ME, MN, NH,
· NM (8 counties),2
· NY, RI, VT, WA, 5 tribes
Uruguay
When did Norway become a culture? I thought it was a country> HmmmOr NY or VT or ...
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#214856 Sep 6, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Not one single culture has accepted ss couples as married from start to finish. Not one!
Ummm how 'bout cheese??? yogurt???The North Pole??
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#214857 Sep 6, 2013
wookie wrote:
amazing how one man with an agenda can overturn the will of the people bullsheeet
Called personal satisfaction at the cost of others. Narcissm.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#214860 Sep 7, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny.
Marriage has existed in every single culture of known human history. Most of the time outside of law.
Smirk.
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>seriously, you fool/ you didn't learn form the last time you pulled bullshit like this out of your ass?
OK, where and when did this happen? again please cite the specific examples and the references used to back them up...
only a complete fool would try to toss out such obvious bullshit twice, especially to someone who obviously knows about the subject he is posting on...
c'mon this'll be fun, give those examples...
All you would have had to do is post evidence of when marriage began.

Why didn't you?

Now, everything you said about me, is true about you.

Here is one of the earliest historical records of the custom of marriage;

http://ehistory.osu.edu/world/articles/
ArticleView.cfm?AID=58

Snicker.

Location hidden

#214861 Sep 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"Totally equal"? Physical impossibility. Is "equal" equal to sugar? A male lesbian to a female lesbian? A Boy Scout to a Girl Scout? A mother to a father? A Woodtick to a deer tick?
LOL!!!

Location hidden

#214862 Sep 7, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
At it's most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.
Ss couples are a defective failure of mating behavior. Ss marriage is an oxymoron.
Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion.
Funny thing....men evolved from amoebas some what....billion years ago?
I think we've evolved already sister. Enough to know no one has to produce offspring like springtime rabbits in an English countryside populated by foxes.
You're an idiot. You have no IDEA what marriage is even compromised of. You're like someone baking a cake arguing with Julia Childs to withhold the flour and eggs. Get lost moron....seriously.
Mating behavior is my opinion?

You clearly weren't faking.

Idiot.

Location hidden

#214864 Sep 7, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's not forget... Contemporary society does not have to rest on the shoulders of history. We are a progressive species. Since the Age of Enlightenment, we have been marching toward equality for all men and women. Marriage equality and civil rights for the LGBT community is just another step to that end.
I realize that there are those who believe we must always have a toe in the past. You like tradition. I get that.
But as you well know, your enjoyment of tradition does not get to stop my enjoyment of progression.
If you could just lie with the fact that you can't inflict yourself onto the rest of society, I'm sure you'll be happier and we'll be happier.
"In the End", buttman, butt out.
You can't fit a bent rod in a straight hole.

That's not history, that's reality.

Ss couples can only ever be a mutually sterile pointlessly duplicate gendered half of marriage.

Location hidden

#214865 Sep 7, 2013
Greg Kirschmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Same Sex Marriage....
Argentina
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark:
· Denmark proper
France
Iceland
Mexico:1
· DF, QR, CH
Netherlands:
· Netherlands proper
New Zealand:
· New Zealand proper
Norway
Portugal
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom:
· England & Wales†
United States:
· CA, CT, DC, DE, IA,
· MA, MD, ME, MN, NH,
· NM (8 counties),2
· NY, RI, VT, WA, 5 tribes
Uruguay
There are nearly 200 countries currently in the world.

The 92% of the world population opposes calling ss couples married.

Not ONE single culture has ever called ss couples married from start to finish. Every single culture has recognized marriage.

You were saying...

Location hidden

#214866 Sep 7, 2013
Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
SSM has sustained itself. The proof is in it's growth and following. I myself was against it not that long ago but it only makes logical sense to allow it.
You're free to play the dickass loser and be against it. No one cares. Shit jackass - join the Westboro Baptist Church for that matter as part of their new Italian American liason for that matter. You're but a fly splattered on the windshield of history once this story is over.
Gays marrying will take place in more and more states as time marches on and will be no more than a non-issue eventually.
Sorry to pop your hymen, but history is massively against you.

Ss couples will only ever be a mutually sterile pointlessly duplicate gendered half of marriage.

A fake imposter relationship will only be more exposed, the closer it gets to marriage. Even a child knows that. Especially when they are mom and dad.

Smirk.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#214867 Sep 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it "progression" or simply a passing phase? Why hasn't SSM sustained itself? SSSB is not new, nor is recognized same sex unions, albeit I limited in time and place. Yet SSM never took root to the point where it was self sustaining within the society that allowed it. Are we to think it will now?
My guess, and it's only a guess, is that same-sex marriage hasn't been "self sustaining" because of religious fundamentalism.

Thankfully, we're seeing extremist religions go the way of the dinosaur.

I used the example earlier of how women are more independent, career focused, and even dress differently (they wear pants), than ever before. This represents a shift in societal acceptance of women's roles that I don't believe will ever change again.

I think that our societies are beginning to finally embrace the fact that homosexuality is not a disorder. And if we aren't disordered, then we should be allowed to have access to legally marrying our partners.

I don't think we'll ever go back to a time where homosexuality is seen as taboo and unnatural.

That's my opinion.

Location hidden

#214868 Sep 7, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you ARE lying about your support for marriage equality. you do not support marriage equality.
You are lying that dumbing down marriage doesn't open the door to any relationship.

Knoxville, TN

#214869 Sep 7, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't fit a bent rod in a straight hole.
That's not history, that's reality.
Ss couples can only ever be a mutually sterile pointlessly duplicate gendered half of marriage.
Well, if you ask the millions of straight and gay people who practice anal sex, I guess you'll find that you can fit a bent rod in a straight hole after all.

That's reality.

Location hidden

#214870 Sep 7, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
My guess, and it's only a guess, is that same-sex marriage hasn't been "self sustaining" because of religious fundamentalism.
Thankfully, we're seeing extremist religions go the way of the dinosaur.
I used the example earlier of how women are more independent, career focused, and even dress differently (they wear pants), than ever before. This represents a shift in societal acceptance of women's roles that I don't believe will ever change again.
I think that our societies are beginning to finally embrace the fact that homosexuality is not a disorder. And if we aren't disordered, then we should be allowed to have access to legally marrying our partners.
I don't think we'll ever go back to a time where homosexuality is seen as taboo and unnatural.
That's my opinion.
Religion has never stopped a horrific list of behaviors. But it did calling ss couples married?

It appears that most of Europe is worried about being overrun by religious fundamentalism.

Location hidden

#214871 Sep 7, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you ask the millions of straight and gay people who practice anal sex, I guess you'll find that you can fit a bent rod in a straight hole after all.
That's reality.
There you go justifying anal abuse again.

Knoxville, TN

#214872 Sep 7, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Because that would be the proper way to define marriage throughout the nation. If that is what one desires to do, and 3/4th's of the States agree. Try reading the Constitution, you might be surprised by what's in it, though I bet you would be even more surprised by what isn't..
<quoted text>
30%? You aren't any better at math than you are at law. It's 26%. 28% if you think DC really matters.
<quoted text>
Right may in fact be right, but your right may not be the right of another- this country used to provide us the freedom to choose.
My 30% quote is a figure is a factual statement. The other numbers include:

--Over 41% of the U.S. population lives in a state with either marriage or a broad legal status such as civil union or domestic partnership.
--Over 43% of the U.S. population lives in a state that provides some form of protections for gay couples.

RE: your comment about the freedom to choose... We have made a choice. And the choice that people are making is that same-sex couples should have the right to marry and the LGBT citizens should be treated equally under the law.

Knoxville, TN

#214873 Sep 7, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion has never stopped a horrific list of behaviors. But it did calling ss couples married?
It appears that most of Europe is worried about being overrun by religious fundamentalism.
There is nothing horrific about being gay.

And I guess you're talking about Europe's fear of Muslims. Is it a rational fear that is based in fact? Or is it just a bunch of people who spend way too much time believing that they have the right to inflict themselves onto other people?

Knoxville, TN

#214874 Sep 7, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go justifying anal abuse again.
Yes, I justify it. And you are fascinated with it.

I am not trying to force people to have anal sex. See how that works? I'm not trying to inflict my personal beliefs onto anyone.

You, however, are trying to force people to stop having anal sex. You're attempting to impose your personal beliefs onto others.

That's the difference between you and me.

You think you know what's best for everyone and I think people are pretty much capable of deciding for themselves.

Good luck on your anti-ass mission. I can't wait to see what kind of poem you create for your campaign.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#214875 Sep 7, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
My 30% quote is a figure is a factual statement. The other numbers include:
--Over 41% of the U.S. population lives in a state with either marriage or a broad legal status such as civil union or domestic partnership.
--Over 43% of the U.S. population lives in a state that provides some form of protections for gay couples.
RE: your comment about the freedom to choose... We have made a choice. And the choice that people are making is that same-sex couples should have the right to marry and the LGBT citizens should be treated equally under the law.
There's a contradiction in that last paragraph. Are you arguing for SSCs to marry, technically to have their relationships called "marriage", or BGLT folks to be treated equally under the law? To be treated equally would imply same treatment. Thus a lesbian woman and a straight woman should be treated the same regardless of sexual attraction.

Knoxville, TN

#214876 Sep 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a contradiction in that last paragraph. Are you arguing for SSCs to marry, technically to have their relationships called "marriage", or BGLT folks to be treated equally under the law? To be treated equally would imply same treatment. Thus a lesbian woman and a straight woman should be treated the same regardless of sexual attraction.
I'm arguing both issues... Gay people should be able to marry the consenting, unrelated, adult that they choose--just like heterosexuals. And LGBT people should be able to go to work, get housing, and not face legal discrimination based on their orientation.

As you probably know, many states have no laws that would prevent an employer from firing a person simply because he or she is gay. They can come right out and say, "We have learned that you are homosexual. Our company's founder is a Christian (so-called). And he/she does not want gay people to interact with customers. Your services are no longer required here, please leave the premises."

You can be denied housing and a variety of many other services simply because a provider learns of your orientation.

This kind of blatant discrimination should not be tolerated and should be illegal. You couldn't do it to a black person or a woman or a person in a wheelchair. Why should you be able to do it to a gay person?
Bad Wallstreet

Monrovia, CA

#214877 Sep 7, 2013
Bank of America has agreed to pay $39 million to settle a gender bias lawsuit by female brokers

The suit claims they were paid less than men and deprived of their fair share of lucrative accounts, September 06, 2013..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr free for all 5,081
US stocks start lower 7 hr Go Blue Forever 40
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 14 hr surfs up 7,955
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Fri scoop 2,273
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Sep 18 Pizza 16,000
How would you like to/be proposed? Sep 17 Hopeless Romantic 1
Disney On Ice presents Worlds of Fantasy coming... Sep 17 malloryciliberti 1
•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE