Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,187

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#211024 Aug 19, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Mikey, you are being a crude, vulgar idiot again.
Uh, I must intervene here and remind you, Mikey is completely allowed to be as crude, vulgar and an idiot as he feels need be. That is his right and he's gonna use it. Any queerstions?
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#211025 Aug 19, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
How was the return trip?

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#211026 Aug 19, 2013
and one other thing, for some reason, his gayness didn't rub off on the students...LOL
sheesh

New Market, MD

#211027 Aug 19, 2013
suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
I really would like to answer your question, but you sound like you are angry and I do not know what you approach people that way.
I will try to explain the best I can. As I said in my letter before about Apostle Paul and his frustration about the Church he has started and the people separating within the Church. This is the same way now, for I have been in many denomiations and they all teach differently, so that is why we decided to have Home Bible Studies and my husband just leads studies and tell all there to ask the Holy Spirit to teach them and that is found in First John Chapter 2 verse 27. Some Churches do teach that they are only ones going to heaven and that has been around ever since I was a child, so I am not quite sure what you are asking. You were talking about your brother saying that the Jews are the chosen people and guaranteed a place in heaven, well he can believe what he wants, but the Scripture only tells us that the only ones going to heaven is those who have accepted Christ in their lives and obey his commandments and the Jews are included. The Jews were the chosen at one time, but they continually disobeyed God, so God through His Son Jesus made a way that anyone who accepts His Son will have the same chance. There is something in the New Testament about 144,000 jews in the end of the world, but honestly, I am not sure what exactly that means. We all read the same Bible, but how many actually study the word, for in Second Timothy chapter 2 verse 15 and I quote: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of Truth."
No, I am not angry. I simply don't think you or anyone else is in a position to jump to conclusions about others you don't know. You acknowledge what I'm saying but don't understand my question.

There are many denominations. They all have a different approach to Christianity. We even have a number of different Bibles. You lean on the King James Version as your source. Yet it is translated from a language where it is often difficult to avoid corruption during translation. Leviticus is a classic example. Specifically that part that is perceived as teaching us that homosexuality is a sin.
V’et-zachar lo tishkav mishk’vei ishah to’evah hu.
V’et - and with
Zachar – male
Lo – no or not
Tishkav - Thou (male) shalt lie down
Mishk’vei – in beds of
Ishah - a woman
to’evah – an abomination
hu – it (masculine – an error kept due to the sacred notion of the text)

The translation becomes more accurately:
And with a male thou shalt not lie down in a woman's bed.

Likewise:
V’ish asher yishkav et-zachar mishk’vei ishah to’evah asu shneihem mot yumatu d’meihem bam becomes:
And a man who will lie down with a male in a woman’s bed, both of them have made an abomination; dying they will be put to death, their blood is on them.
A woman’s bed was considered sacred and to be shared with no one else but her husband. At times he wasn’t even to be there.
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#211028 Aug 19, 2013
Headin back to base for a little r&r and a pop tart.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#211029 Aug 19, 2013
commonpeeps wrote:
<quoted text>How was the return trip?
Depressing....
I liked it better where I was...
LOL
Hudson, requesting return to 20th, over....
sheesh

New Market, MD

#211030 Aug 19, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, my wording isn't always the best. I agree with you, too. Different rooms for different groups. I think that it's a crime, however, to even humor the idea of a 10- or 12- year old wanting to change genders. Kids are mixed up enough, already.. It's a piss poor time to even contemplate the notion of any kind of major surgery for one so young. It should be banned until, at least, the age of 18, IMHO. I wonder how many of these pre-pubescent kids are going to later regret the impulsive choices that they are allowed to make, at an age when they have no clue as to the gravity of theses choices.
Yes, I agree with you on the matter of committing to surgery at such a young age. But that isn't what being transgender entails from the outset. I have met one person who had gone through the progression eventually getting transformed surgically. She served in Vietnam. She had a friend that was in the process of transformation. They were both very nice and seemed quite stable. Nothing flamboyant about either of them. TBH I'd be willing to bet that if the two of them were milling about in a crowded mall no one would take note or even know that they'd been born with male genitalia.

BTW, I was well aware of my heterosexual tendency at least as early as the first grade. Oddly enough that is the age where little boys are supposed to hate little girls. At least pretend so among peers. I was quite smitten by two or three little girls as well as our teacher. I just didn't understand it.

OTOH, my nephew was pegged as being gay at about the same age. At least by many of us that weren't blind to the notion. When he came out to his mother in his mid teens she was quite amusing to the rest of us. She had a bit of a meeting with his sisters where she advised them of their brother's sexual orientation. They were quite surprised she hadn't figured it out on her own. Denial is strong medicine.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#211031 Aug 19, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
and one other thing, for some reason, his gayness didn't rub off on the students...LOL
I went to a Maslow-Toffler high school, and we had a gay teacher named Milt. Coolest teacher I ever had. We had 5 teachers, or Facilitators, as they were called. 3 were gay. They were all cool. One was a full-on fem, but we didn't care. They all taught us how to think.
And that is the purpose of a teacher.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#211032 Aug 19, 2013
commonpeeps wrote:
Copy that. Out.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#211033 Aug 19, 2013
sheesh wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree with you on the matter of committing to surgery at such a young age. But that isn't what being transgender entails from the outset. I have met one person who had gone through the progression eventually getting transformed surgically. She served in Vietnam. She had a friend that was in the process of transformation. They were both very nice and seemed quite stable. Nothing flamboyant about either of them. TBH I'd be willing to bet that if the two of them were milling about in a crowded mall no one would take note or even know that they'd been born with male genitalia.
BTW, I was well aware of my heterosexual tendency at least as early as the first grade. Oddly enough that is the age where little boys are supposed to hate little girls. At least pretend so among peers. I was quite smitten by two or three little girls as well as our teacher. I just didn't understand it.
OTOH, my nephew was pegged as being gay at about the same age. At least by many of us that weren't blind to the notion. When he came out to his mother in his mid teens she was quite amusing to the rest of us. She had a bit of a meeting with his sisters where she advised them of their brother's sexual orientation. They were quite surprised she hadn't figured it out on her own. Denial is strong medicine.
LOL, same here..
:-D
I was eyeballing my female teachers in 2nd grade. Probably didn't have the slightest clue WHY I was eyeballing them, but, boy, they sure were cute....
Ah, youth....
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#211034 Aug 19, 2013
1970....What a year...Teachers dressing like the hippie chicks....
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#211035 Aug 19, 2013
Everyone involved is already dead set on their view, and nothing the other says can change it.

Both sides will readily accept any source that agrees with them as credible with no fact checking, and reject any source that disagrees with them as—perhaps ironically—having a bias that defeats any potential credibility, and fact check them ruthlessly on the assumption that there must be a mistake or lie in there somewhere.

In the end, both sides are incredibly annoying, don't convince anyone of anything (but do reinforce the views of any third parties who may already be convinced), and generally create an air of unpleasantry around them.

That's why I like you silly jackasses! Even that booger eating pop tart suckin' clown commonpeeps.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#211036 Aug 19, 2013
commonpeeps wrote:
My mommy used to give me pop tarts when I was a little jackass like you too. Heartwarming.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#211037 Aug 19, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, same here..
I was eyeballing my female teachers in 2nd grade. Probably didn't have the slightest clue WHY I was eyeballing them, but, boy, they sure were cute....
Ah, youth....
Miss Simmon. My 2nd grade teacher. Hotter than a twenty dollar pistol.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#211038 Aug 19, 2013
Why does Big D let that church lady get away with her posts?!

What's up with that? Is his cape in the cleaners or something?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#211039 Aug 19, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Mikey, you are being a crude, vulgar idiot again.
The post simply noted that ss couples possess NOTHING that merits the interest of the state. They demand that children be removed from consideration in marriage. Now they want to turn around and claim state interest because they have manufactured default families???
A ss couple ALWAYS deprives a child of a father or mother. A ss couple ALWAYS deprives a child of at least one natural parent.
The latest, largest and most scientific study to date rated lesbian couples LAST, behind single parents out of numerous default family settings. Gay couples didn't even register!!!
If anyone actually believed the study that you continue to cite then courts and children's services programs would be falling all over themselves to extricate kids from same-sex parent homes.

And I always need to point out that a same-sex couple provides better care than foster systems that place children in and out of homes over and over again. Same-sex couples also provide better care than homes where abuse/neglect is present. We provide a service to these children and to the country.

Your move...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#211040 Aug 19, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Miss Simmon. My 2nd grade teacher. Hotter than a twenty dollar pistol.
Miss Maracotta....mmmmm...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#211041 Aug 19, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Why does Big D let that church lady get away with her posts?!
What's up with that? Is his cape in the cleaners or something?
He's too busy communing with a bowl of Chef Boyardee....
suzanne henderson

El Dorado Hills, CA

#211042 Aug 19, 2013
sheesh wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am not angry. I simply don't think you or anyone else is in a position to jump to conclusions about others you don't know. You acknowledge what I'm saying but don't understand my question.
There are many denominations. They all have a different approach to Christianity. We even have a number of different Bibles. You lean on the King James Version as your source. Yet it is translated from a language where it is often difficult to avoid corruption during translation. Leviticus is a classic example. Specifically that part that is perceived as teaching us that homosexuality is a sin.
V’et-zachar lo tishkav mishk’vei ishah to’evah hu.
V’et - and with
Zachar – male
Lo – no or not
Tishkav - Thou (male) shalt lie down
Mishk’vei – in beds of
Ishah - a woman
to’evah – an abomination
hu – it (masculine – an error kept due to the sacred notion of the text)
The translation becomes more accurately:
And with a male thou shalt not lie down in a woman's bed.
Likewise:
V’ish asher yishkav et-zachar mishk’vei ishah to’evah asu shneihem mot yumatu d’meihem bam becomes:
And a man who will lie down with a male in a woman’s bed, both of them have made an abomination; dying they will be put to death, their blood is on them.
A woman’s bed was considered sacred and to be shared with no one else but her husband. At times he wasn’t even to be there.
We think that King James was translated by 40 scholars and we do know that some of the hebrew words may mean several words in english, but we feel that it is still the most accurate. The subject that we are discussing is homosexuality and we do not refer to much to the old testament, although we do sometimes. Some of the laws were put into the epistles of Paul and he talks about homosexuality being a abomination very clearly in the Book of Romans and actually, that is the chapter we use the most on this subject. In the Book of First Corinthians chapter 6 verse 9, it says and I quote: "Know ye not that the unrigheous shall not inherit the Kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor adulteres, nor idolaters, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind." Also, in First Timothy chapter 1 verses 8-10 and I quote: But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderes of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine." God made it very clear that we should live Holy lives and not partake of sinful things. I know that for our family that things we use to do like go to movies, we do not go anymore because of the content in the movies and also with TV, although we have DirectV, we only watch a very few channels because of all the programs on there that have cussing, homosexuality, adultry etc. We do not have verses of course for these types of entertainment, but that is why God said in the last part of that verse that if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, so we are careful what we watch.
sheesh

Beaverdam, VA

#211043 Aug 19, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
1970....What a year...Teachers dressing like the hippie chicks....
I was somewhere near finishing elementary school in '70. In the south. The teachers were all matronly in there. Except my first grade teacher. And my 5th grade teacher. He was the only man in a teaching position in the entire school. We all feared him. And our principal. I think she was twelve feet tall and weighed about 700 lbs. She also was rumored to have a paddling machine in her office. I never found out. In reality she was a kind but firm woman. As was my 5th grade teacher. Well, he wasn't a kind but firm woman. He was a kind but firm man. Not many kids gave him a problem. If they did it was usually limited to just once.

That is what is wrong with today's public schools. If you got in trouble at school, you got in trouble at home too. If it was bad enough there was a meeting between your parents and the teacher. Maybe the principal. Then you got in some more trouble at home after that meeting. Now the parents and lawyers come after the teacher while the principal looks at the floor and runs her left big toe in a circle. Then she gets fired for daring to correct someone's innocent little darling. I dunno why anyone wants to become a teacher anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... 11 hr Big Red 35
Which cheap and legit site to buy fifa 15 coins? 23 hr alex 3
Daly City Officer Charged With Excessive Force (Aug '06) Dec 24 yes call me 09864... 376
'Hybrid' store displays new plans (Jun '07) Dec 23 Silver Blade 4
Review: Calvary Chapel (Apr '09) Dec 21 WhyWait 36
Police chase on Sunday early morning thru EPA Dec 21 D mann 1
Police Blotter: Porch package snatcher arrested... Dec 21 One way or another 5

Palo Alto News Video

Palo Alto Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Palo Alto News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Palo Alto