Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
172,961 - 172,980 of 200,571 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I currently don't have one. And if I did, it would need to be a meaningful relationship that we both wanted to become a life long commitment. I hope that answers your question, Rickie.
Yes, like all your comments, they speak for themselves, you clearly are lost.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Too funny!
It's a typical answer for most gays, it's all about the sex, not a commitment. Most gays don't want to marry, they just want the opportunity.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, many things have been prevalent throughout history. Take slavery... Take war... Take gender inequality... Take racial and ethnic discrimination... Take genocide...
Do you also embrace these "timeless", social institutions and activities?
As I've often said, rather than simply doing the same thing over and over, we learn from the mistakes in the past to make our current society a better place.
Get on board or get out of the way.
So you're comparing the institution of marriage, the union of husband and wife, to those things?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
John Boswell's work? It's controversial and has sparked considerable credible criticism and refutation.
Big D

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't bring up 'acceptance' or 'opinion'.
I simply point out obvious fundamental differences between ss couples and marriage.
There is nothing hateful about stating facts. If they were not the facts, you would point that out instead of making the 'hate' charge.
So obvious.
The fundamental difference is love and respect vs hate and contempt
PaperHangers

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

This place looks like the gold metal winners, one armed one leg paper hanging contest winners house.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
** TROLL ALERT **
Yeah we know you're a troll, fool. No need for the alert.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
...he said, squawking like a parrot just repeating something someone else already said. Go to bed Frankie.
He said, idiotically.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't bring up 'acceptance' or 'opinion'.
I simply point out obvious fundamental differences between ss couples and marriage.
There is nothing hateful about stating facts. If they were not the facts, you would point that out instead of making the 'hate' charge.
So obvious.
Facts that Big D doesn't like are "hateful" you see.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, many things have been prevalent throughout history. Take slavery... Take war... Take gender inequality... Take racial and ethnic discrimination... Take genocide...
Do you also embrace these "timeless", social institutions and activities?
As I've often said, rather than simply doing the same thing over and over, we learn from the mistakes in the past to make our current society a better place.
Get on board or get out of the way.
Marriage is a mistake from the past? Then why do you want in on it?

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
John Boswell's work? It's controversial and has sparked considerable credible criticism and refutation.
It doesn't change the reality that throughout history there have been societies that allowed same sex marriage.

You ignorantly claimed that:
"Ss couples being called married has never been accepted across the history of a single culture."
An assertion, which is simply untrue.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
More than anything I've seen over the past week, I would have LOVED to have seen your face with the Supreme Court decisions were handed down.
I'll bet it was priceless!
All of your personal attempts to sway folks. Your ridiculous and contrived definitions; your pitiful understanding of scientific processes; your absolute refusal to agree with facts... In one fell swoop, the justices handed you (and people like you) your ass on a platter.
To quote Glinda the Good Witch of the North, "You have no power here! Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you!"
I'd think the victory for equality would be "more than anything" what you liked, it is very telling that you'd like to rub detractors faces in it more than the victory itself.

You have just insisted on a tremendous social change and gotten it. Some people are wary of the change. Go easy on them. They are your fellow citizens, they'll come around, and sooner without you taunting and attempting to marginalize them. That just naturally makes them dig in and resist.

A great victory has just been won, have some class and be gracious about it.
Clams

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Pay no never mind to the liquored up fool who posted before this one.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
Not as long as you probably.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
No... It's not an idiotic response. It's a perfectly reasonable observation.
If you believe that current marriage laws should be dictated by history, then maybe you think that other institutions and behaviors should also be supported by their almost constant presence in history.
You just don't agree with them because you realize how absurd it would be for you to try to support slavery, war, genocide, gender inequality, racial and ethnic inequality, etc.
But marriage inequality, you're willing to support that based on the history of marriage--even though you KNOW that marriage has never been the same in all cultures throughout history. Arranged marriage, plural marriage, same-gender marriage, interracial marriage, "ghost marriage", etc. are just a few of the many faces of marriage over the history of mankind.
It doesn't matter. Our Supreme Court Justices, having had all the facts argued before them by the best attorneys and legal teams in the country, came to the conclusion that it is unconstitutional to deny federal rights and protections to a married couple who happen to be comprised of same-gender individuals. They found it unconstitutional to deny benefits and protections to married, same-gender couples who have children.
And there you have it... The law is clearly on our side here. It's probably getting close to closing time around here on this particular thread.
The decision has been made. Your team lost. We were triumphant. The definition of marriage (of which there are many) now includes same-gender couples.
I'm curious.

Since the SCOTUS ruling equating ss couples with marriage, does that mean duplicate gendered couples will change to diverse gendered couples, or the other way around?

Will ss couples start mutually bearing children? I can't wait to see the change!

Oh, and when will a gay anus turn into a vagina?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
Been over that gay twirl BS many times.

I'm curious.

Since the SCOTUS ruling equating ss couples with marriage, does that mean duplicate gendered couples will change to diverse gendered couples, or the other way around?

Will ss couples start mutually bearing children? I can't wait to see the change!

Oh, and when will a gay anus turn into a vagina?

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Not as long as you probably.
Frankie, congratulations. Way to hold up your standard of never being on topic or making a valid point.

The reality remains that existing same sex marriage bans are unconstitutional, the US Supreme Court has handed those in support of equality a powerful tool in moving forward with legal challenges, and you still don't have the ability to articulate a compelling state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law that would render such a restriction constitutional and begin to indicate that you are not an imbecile.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
The fundamental difference is love and respect vs hate and contempt
That's your worst problem. Assuming your opinion is "love and respect" and disagreeing with your opinion is "hate and contempt".

And you really believe that.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankie, congratulations. Way to hold up your standard of never being on topic or making a valid point.
The reality remains that existing same sex marriage bans are unconstitutional, the US Supreme Court has handed those in support of equality a powerful tool in moving forward with legal challenges, and you still don't have the ability to articulate a compelling state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law that would render such a restriction constitutional and begin to indicate that you are not an imbecile.
I know fruitcake. Duh. Thinking I don't know that is just another example of your arrogance and stupidity.

You have still to convince me why marriage equality shouldn't extend to people you hate. Like polygamists and incestuous couples.
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote: You noted, as I do, that ss couples are a duplicated gendered half of marriage. Interracial marriage has been prevalent across human history with brief points of conflict. Ss couples being called married has never been accepted across the history of a single culture. Moreover, race differences don't affect the essence of mating behavior. SS couples are a defective failure of mating behavior. I admitted no such thing. I simply quoted the SCOTUS assertion, and mocked it.
Read more at http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/TH6FC2NTH...
<quoted text>
An idiotic, obvious and poor attempt to distort what I said, while ignoring all the points.
Clearly no rational response to the argument.
Get real.
There was no argument made by you. You simply re-posted the same opinion you have posted over and over and over again and called it "facts". Nothing you post will change reality. You may keep squawking and spewing out your "facts" until your hands freeze up with carpel tunnel syndrome, but the fact remains you have no legal right to interfere in anyone else's relationship. And you hate that and you are mad about it. Focus on your own life for a while. Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... 3 hr Neil Logan 22
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 4 hr air mail 7,924
Trouble sleeping: a warning sign of suicide in ... Wed Pharma Maims Kills 8
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Aug 26 matches lighters 15,961
Camden, TN. Topix Moderator (Aug '13) Aug 25 Mavis 11
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Aug 24 Mono 4,996
Border Agents Make Zero-Tolerance Zone (Aug '06) Aug 20 guest 48
•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE