Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,545)

Showing posts 170,881 - 170,900 of200,229
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Several keep implying that it does, but you ignore them, no problem as I will ignore you when I reply to them
You can't ignore me.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

First week in introductory bonehead cultural anthropology class you would learned this:

The origins of marriage.

How old is the institution?
The best available evidence suggests that it’s about 4,350 years old. For thousands of years before that, most anthropologists believe, families consisted of loosely organized groups of as many as 30 people, with several male leaders, multiple women shared by them, and children. As hunter-gatherers settled down into agrarian civilizations, society had a need for more stable arrangements. The first recorded evidence of marriage ceremonies uniting one woman and one man dates from about 2350 B.C., in Mesopotamia. Over the next several hundred years, marriage evolved into a widespread institution embraced by the ancient Hebrews, Greeks, and Romans. But back then, marriage had little to do with love or with religion.

What was it about, then?
Marriage’s primary purpose was to bind women to men, and thus guarantee that a man’s children were truly his biological heirs.

Procreation is not a requirement for marriage but it most certainly is one of the main reasons marriage began.

It's not a valid argument against SSM but being dishonest and claiming it is unrelated is ridiculous and desperate.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
First week in introductory bonehead cultural anthropology class you would learned this:
The origins of marriage.
How old is the institution?
The best available evidence suggests that it’s about 4,350 years old. For thousands of years before that, most anthropologists believe, families consisted of loosely organized groups of as many as 30 people, with several male leaders, multiple women shared by them, and children. As hunter-gatherers settled down into agrarian civilizations, society had a need for more stable arrangements. The first recorded evidence of marriage ceremonies uniting one woman and one man dates from about 2350 B.C., in Mesopotamia. Over the next several hundred years, marriage evolved into a widespread institution embraced by the ancient Hebrews, Greeks, and Romans. But back then, marriage had little to do with love or with religion.
What was it about, then?
Marriage’s primary purpose was to bind women to men, and thus guarantee that a man’s children were truly his biological heirs.
Procreation is not a requirement for marriage but it most certainly is one of the main reasons marriage began.
It's not a valid argument against SSM but being dishonest and claiming it is unrelated is ridiculous and desperate.
What is desperate is clinging to an argument that has already been soundly defeated multiple times in court.

You can say whatever you want against same sex marriage, but the procreation argument is already defeated in the only place it count, in court
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
What is desperate is clinging to an argument that has already been soundly defeated multiple times in court.
You can say whatever you want against same sex marriage, but the procreation argument is already defeated in the only place it count, in court
I am not using procreation as an argument against SSM. I support SSM and believe procreation is not a valid argument against it.

But to attempt to totally disassociate procreation from marriage is ridiculous and dishonest.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, it has (SSM) But the SSM folks didn't give up. Why should the other minority groups that want equal rights?
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Now that we are down to the last week or so ( I believe it is due by the 27th at the very latest )

Time to put down predictions

Here are what I see as potential outcomes for Prop 8

#1 Dismissed as improvidently granted – kicked back to the state which has already overturned prop 8

#2 Prop 8 overturned – Agree with California that Prop 8 was unconstitutional

#3 Civil Unions = Marriage – the Obama case, all states that allow civil unions now will immediately have same sex marriage legal

#4 Same Sex marriage is a legal right nationwide – the big decision ( I don’t think many expect this )

#5 Same sex marriages are not protected constitutionally – the other big decision ( I doubt anyone expects this either )

#6 Prop 8 upheld in California – disagree with the California courts and uphold prop 8

My money would be on #1, although #2 would be a great decision,#3 is problematic and might do as much harm as good as it might discourage some states from granting civil unions,#4 would be great but I don’t see the court doing that,#5 and #6 I don’t think are even possibilities given the current climate. However #6 is more likely than #5.

So in order of likely hood ( my opinion )

#1,#2,#6,#4,#3,#5

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
Now that we are down to the last week or so ( I believe it is due by the 27th at the very latest )
#1 Dismissed as improvidently granted – kicked back to the state which has already overturned prop 8
#3 Civil Unions = Marriage – the Obama case, all states that allow civil unions now will immediately have same sex marriage legal
#4 Same Sex marriage is a legal right nationwide – the big decision ( I don’t think many expect this )
#5 Same sex marriages are not protected constitutionally – the other big decision ( I doubt anyone expects this either )
#6 Prop 8 upheld in California – disagree with the California courts and uphold prop 8
My money would be on #1, although #2 would be a great decision,#3 is problematic and might do as much harm as good as it might discourage some states from granting civil unions,#4 would be great but I don’t see the court doing that,#5 and #6 I don’t think are even possibilities given the current climate. However #6 is more likely than #5.
#1,#2,#6,#4,#3,#5
#3. I can see it now.....The House & Senate here in Missouri all Republican, heads explode and they turn the Missouri river red. Gov. Nixon (D) says next on the agenda is....LOL

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
#1,#2,#6,#4,#3,#5
does all this bickering keep your mind off of the fact that you supported the great Obama? Is our next war (Syria) a good war since the bombs have an "O" on them? Is Obama dragging us into another Viet Nam?

Obama - an economy worse than Carter's, scandals worse than Nixon's and now, foreign policy worse than LBJ.

The trifecta of failure! But Big Dope supported this fool...LOL
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
#1,#2,#6,#4,#3,#5
#7 Big D gets even more insufferable.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>does all this bickering keep your mind off of the fact that you supported the great Obama? Is our next war (Syria) a good war since the bombs have an "O" on them? Is Obama dragging us into another Viet Nam?
Obama - an economy worse than Carter's, scandals worse than Nixon's and now, foreign policy worse than LBJ.
And he probably still does.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>#3. I can see it now.....The House & Senate here in Missouri all Republican, heads explode and they turn the Missouri river red. Gov. Nixon (D) says next on the agenda is....LOL
While I have no doubt you'd like to see heads explode, they won't. We live in a country of peaceful transfer of power, don't get emotional like that and revert us to barbarism in your zeal for revenge.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
While I have no doubt you'd like to see heads explode, they won't. We live in a country of peaceful transfer of power, don't get emotional like that and revert us to barbarism in your zeal for revenge.
You are such a idiot. Ever hear of sarcasm? Yes, their faces would turn RED. Still it's LOL
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>#3. I can see it now.....The House & Senate here in Missouri all Republican, heads explode and they turn the Missouri river red. Gov. Nixon (D) says next on the agenda is....LOL
that is the truth, however the GOP wet dream is to force legality in every state.

It would accomplish 2 things for them, piss off their base, while at the same time taking same sex marriage outside the realm of politics because it is hurting them politically.

I don’t think the Obama thing will happen, notice I put that is next to least likely to occur. That really isn’t a solution.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>does all this bickering keep your mind off of the fact that you supported the great Obama? Is our next war (Syria) a good war since the bombs have an "O" on them? Is Obama dragging us into another Viet Nam?
Oh no, Obama has been something of a disappointment, but not nearly as bad as any republican president in my lifetime

I do think we can do better than Obama, and hopefully we will.
Ant Factory

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Is there a Fud Ruckers near you too?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no, Obama has been something of a disappointment, but not nearly as bad as any republican president in my lifetime
I do think we can do better than Obama, and hopefully we will.
"...something of a disappointment." Love your spin.

Too funny.
centralia

Mount Vernon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Who has a 8 inch Johnson bar ?
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
"...something of a disappointment." Love your spin.
Too funny.
Yes, he has not dismantled the disastrous GOP policies nearly fast enough.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
One word. Transparency.

He promised to be the most transparent administration in history. He may well be the complete opposite.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
He's too busy creating disastrous Democratic policies to notice.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 170,881 - 170,900 of200,229
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
Palo Alto Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••