Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
167,801 - 167,820 of 200,336 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Congrats MN. Just one more reminder there isn't a rational argument against gay marriage. Even those against it have to start admitting their opposition is based purely on bigotry and superstition.

"Minnesota governor signs gay marriage bill"
http://za.news.yahoo.com/minnesota-governor-s...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep
I am heterosexual, married, 18,000 same sex couples marrying in California didn’t hurt my marriage at all.( shrug )
"shrug" is right. Who cares.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
Bruno, I see you still the good nature person you've always been.
Do you live in Fortuna, Joe? Fine town. Is that old radio store still in business? C. Crane I think it is called.
Sheets

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Who care if your sleeping anyone at all, and if you are it's no ones business but your own.
makers marked

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Cuba,Guantánamo: 30 of the 100 hunger strikers now being tube-fed, let them who wish to meet their maker!

God speed on this one, less to worry about in the long run, put a GPS unit on them an drop them in their graves from bomber's.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Too funny! Have no fear! I feel safe now.
I can see it now....the justices are just about to render an opinion...suddenly indescion sets in....a collective cry for help goes out. Meanwhile across the country, Big D is sitting reading the paper in stately Big D manor. He suddenly stands up upon hearing the cry for help. "I'm on my way.....I'll save the day....To the Big D cave" he yells out. Momments later, all across the county crowds gather, scanning the heavens, when suddenly someone shouts out, "It's a looney bird, it's a biplane.....no wait...IT'S BIG DEE!".
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
well... that sort of is a marriage isn’t it.. in this state... common law?
It was a major flaw in their case, they claimed harm to marriage, but they could not bring anyone in who was actually harmed by it.
California does not recognize common law marriage dummy. Perhaps you really don't know it all Big D?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see it now....the justices are just about to render an opinion...suddenly indescion sets in....a collective cry for help goes out. Meanwhile across the country, Big D is sitting reading the paper in stately Big D manor. He suddenly stands up upon hearing the cry for help. "I'm on my way.....I'll save the day....To the Big D cave" he yells out. Momments later, all across the county crowds gather, scanning the heavens, when suddenly someone shouts out, "It's a looney bird, it's a biplane.....no wait...IT'S BIG DEE!".
LMAO!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
It use to be against the law for people of different races to marry just because most people didn't like it. Do you think that made it right?
So one's "race" is comparable to one's sex? How many races are there? How many sexes are there? What specific racial combinations were barred from marrying? Who would a person of mixed race marry? Can a mixed race/ethnicity opposite sex couple, accept each other as husband and wife, as a same race opposite sex couple would? Should racial segregation within marriage be used to justify gender segregation within marriage? Why is the former unacceptable, but not the latter?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
I find it difficult to see the logic of defending monogamous marriage as the historic norm when the laws of many states have already departed from the principle that it is heterosexual, monogamous marriage that is essential to social stability.
Put simply, if heterosexuality is no longer legally, morally or socially relevant to marriage, why should monogamy continue to be so important?
P.S. I am posting about marriage equality which is NOT off topic like magic trees, ribs etc. that Big D harps on and on about. So hold the whining.
Thanks Frankie...that still sums up the issue.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

The Exterminator 6 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.
I am heterosexual, you are not. You are a closet gay. The 12,000 remaining same sex couples with faux marriages in California did not hurt me either. We still see you all as a freak show and in fact, our opinions of you gays have lessened. Also, the gays dying of AIDS and SUICIDE did not hurt my marriage either. So, should I not care about that too.(shrug)
Wrong

I happen to be straight, I am very comfortable with my sexuality and so do not feel threatened by gay Americans in any way at all, the difference between you and I is that I am a patriot, I actually believe in justice, freedom and equality.

I also support equal rights for black people, I don’t happen to be black

I support women’s equality and treatment, I am not a woman

You cannot separate what you yourself are from what you support in your tiny pea brain, but most of us Americans can.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Not a chance, which proves that you are politically illiterate.
When the Supreme Court upholds Prop 8 it will become the state constitution and it can not be removed with a simple majority vote. You sore losers will have to either deal or get 2/3 popular vote and 2/3 state legislative vote.
What will also happen is that sleeping giants will awaken, the Mormon Church, the Catholic church and the congregation of all US churches will draw a line in the sand and start pushing back. We will force a vote in all states wherein a popular vote is still possible and write into their constitution as well.
Did you want to make a wager?:)

Either the supreme court will overturn Prop 8, or it will be overturned in the next election cycle by ballot measure.

I may pity suckers, but I am not above making money off of them :)
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Please explain to all how come the APA has a LGBT resource center, if homosexuality is not a mental disorder.
When the APA was asked for studies and evidence of this alleged harm they finally admitted that there was none.
Of course, you do not want to hear this. You want gays to continue dying of AIDS for the cause and gays should commit suicide for you cause. That is sick.
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/former-presi...
LISTEN TO THE AUDIO FROM THE APA PRESIDENT IF YOU HAVE THE BALLS.
Now read:
A former president of the American Psychological Association (APA), who also introduced the motion to declassify homosexuality as a mental illness in 1975, says that the APA has been taken over by “ultraliberals” beholden to the “gay rights movement,” who refuse to allow an open debate on reparative therapy for homosexuality.
Dr. Nicholas Cummings was President of the APA from 1979 to 1980, and also served as a member of the organization’s Council of Representatives. He served for years as Chief of Mental Health with the Kaiser-Permanente Health Maintenance Organization, and is the author of the book “Destructive Trends in Mental Health: The Well-Intentioned Path to Harm.”
In an interview with representatives of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) in late April, Cummings said that the organization’s problems began with the rejection of the Leona Tyler Principle, which required that all public positions of the APA be supported by scientific evidence.
The APA “started changing pretty drastically by the late 1980s,” said Cummings.“By the mid 1990s, the Leona Tyler principle was absolutely forgotten, that political stances seemed to override any scientific results. Cherry-picking results became the mode. The gay rights movement sort of captured the APA.”
Cummings says that the movement for “diversity” in the APA, which he endorsed, had resulted in a lack of diversity regarding heterosexuals...

“The first time it came up, and I was a member of [the] Council, this would have been, oh, 1975, because I remember that that’s when I made the resolution,” Cummings said.“I made the resolution that being gay was not a mental illness, that it was characterological. And it passed the Council of Representatives. And that was the first issue that came up. I also said with that, that the APA, if it passes this resolution, will also vote to continue research that demonstrates whatever the research demonstrates. Unbiased, open research. It was never done.”
In a second, briefer interview with NARTH on the same day, Cummings recalls his own work with homosexuals who wanted to leave the gay lifestyle during his tenure at Kaiser Permanente.
The Exterminator 6.

Good point. Many of us remember when, after the Soviet "Liberals" had butchered the Christian Czar and his little God-fearing Christian family, they then proceeded to politicize mental illness. Those who did not go along with the "Liberal" program were incarcerated in State run institutions where they were given "the treatment". Ultimately, more than 60 MILLIONS White European Christians were butchered who were butchered were NON-Homosexuals.

During the early days of the revolution in our own country, most White Christian Americans held to the idea that "it can never happen here". This was true even after the "Liberal" revolutionaries took to the street and had burned most major American cities throughout the 60s 70s. Those simple American Christians of faith were wrong. It IS happening here.

Here is a link to a web-site telling how Government licensed "psychiatrists" influenced the APA to quit viewing Homosexual behavior and lesbianism as treatable illnesses.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/93f4gjn

Ronald

Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you want to make a wager?:)
Either the supreme court will overturn Prop 8, or it will be overturned in the next election cycle by ballot measure.
I may pity suckers, but I am not above making money off of them :)
I suspect there's not much you are above when it comes to making money or getting your way.
FuJeus

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Hashville Skyline how did weed and country music get so cozy?
Lol

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

FuJeus wrote:
Hashville Skyline how did weed and country music get so cozy?
Yeah
Trayvon Orwell

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Celebrate Diversity!!!!

Until they disagree with you....
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>No, you are a closet gay and very uncomfortable.
SO, DO YOU UNDRESS AND BECOME NUDE AROUND GAY MEN?? Obviously you are threatened by gays and you are threatened by truth.
If you were comfortable then you would be able to discover all the facts and make a decision, not based on gay bias.
If you are straight, then you should be able to debate without anger.
LET'S HAVE AT IT:
FIRST TOPIC-
1. Present all studies that you have read and studied, in the past, that prove that reparative therapy harms gays.
a. It can not be something you research today. It must be in the past.
b. Post the date that you read it and how it influenced your decision.
c. Please name the doctors who conducted the studies and how they came to their conclusions.
d. Now, to conclude, present all your medical findings that all the people who are now ex-gays, really are not and are in denial.
THE TREATMENT OF WOMEN AND BLACKS ARE NOT A COMPARISON, YOU ARE TRYING TO COMPARE RACE AND SEX WITH A BEHAVIOR.
The truth is this, I can separate it all and you can not. Which is why you used female equal rights, seeming to ignore all the female lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders.
DON'T WORRY, I DON'T EXPECT AN ARGUMENT, YOU KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE A PEA BRAIN AND YOURS IS SO BIG.
There is nothing to have at, I am straight, father and grandfather. I am a patriot I actually believe in our nations values.

You claim that you do not like Justice Freedom and Equality, well there are people out there that agree with you, have you considered the Taliban? They would agree with you.

A pea brain is all you have, you have already demonstrated that.

You also seem clueless as to what is happening around you, Prop 8 is going down, one way ( late June ) or the other next election.

It is funny to me that you will be standing there slack jawed not comprehending what is happening, or why.

I am sure I have undressed in front of someone that was gay at one time or another, I am a veteran after all. Does not bother me in the slightest, when I was younger I was approached by people that were gay as I worked around them quite often, I informed them I was straight and thanked them for the complement. After a couple of times they must have spread the word around, as I was not approached again, but they did tell me thank you for not being upset by that. I couldn’t fathom why someone would be.

But again, I am comfortable and not threatened by these people in any way whatsoever. I do pity that you are so unnerved so easily, most of us are not.
Trayvon O Donnell

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
bigotry and superstition.
Celebrate Diversity!!!!
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Homosexual behavior is not a race. In fact, if you use electroshock stimulus you can force many species to exhibit this behavior.
Really, it was against the law for people of different races to marry? Which states or are you claiming it was a federal law? I know the answer, but will await your answer. Don't look it up, you said it, so you must know the answer.
By the way, Richard (a white man) wanted to marry Mildred (a black woman), in the state of Virginia. They applied to marry under the legal definition of marriage as one man and one woman. The state of Virginia, like currently Minnesota, New York, etc. wanted to change the definition and cause harm in effect. Virginia did not wish to apply the law, they wanted to change it not for racial exclusion, but for black exclusion regarding marriage to all other races. The Supreme Court ruled that all citizens have a right to the fundamental institution of marriage, as one man and one woman. If Richard (a white man) had wanted to marry Michael (a black man), the marriage would have been denied.
I bet you all could be smart, if you wanted to appear as such.
So we can deny rights based on what we are disgusted by?

Really?

So I can legally remove rights from people whose behavior I am disgusted by?

Be careful what you ask for

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE