Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,378)

Showing posts 167,541 - 167,560 of200,321
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
It grieves a lot of us to see a child raised in an environment of ignorance, bigotry and hatred. Should we keep your kind from having or adpoting children?
Nice! King Big D decides who cannot have or "adpot" children for political reasons.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
It grieves a lot of us to see a child raised in an environment of ignorance, bigotry and hatred. Should we keep your kind from having or adpoting children?
"......your kind...."? Really Big D....tsk tsk
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
It grieves me a lot to see you.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D gets all upset and overheated and his inner tyrant comes out.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. This slander from a supposed professional social worker...
You prove my point VV.
Hey, I'm using my professional opinion based on the events that I believe to be true.

Moving a child from one state to another, then another can be very traumatizing. It interferes with his/her ability to establish roots. It keeps them from being able to regularly see their extended family. It leaves them in a constant state of upheaval.

You did this to them. I'm simply pointing out the facts.

There's nothing slanderous about that.
tumkins

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
So we can dispense with the ignorance now?
There is no question that a majority of Americans support same sex marriage, which means widespread support of heterosexuals as well
You're nuts, you modesto phaggett.
Big D

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D gets all upset and overheated and his inner tyrant comes out.
Shut up you homsosexual blowhard.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny, my two sons and 10 plus foster children never felt that way.

Smile.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I'm using my professional opinion based on the events that I believe to be true.
Moving a child from one state to another, then another can be very traumatizing. It interferes with his/her ability to establish roots. It keeps them from being able to regularly see their extended family. It leaves them in a constant state of upheaval.
You did this to them. I'm simply pointing out the facts.
There's nothing slanderous about that.
So you want to continue the slander, not only confirming your lack of professionalism, but exposing your ignorance and lack of character to boot.

Again.

Here, let me help you;

Both my boys were born and raised in Hawaii. The oldest is still there. The youngest just finished his second year of college in TN. My wife and I (and the slut lesbian) are empty-nesters in PA.

It was hard for the oldest to leave initially. Now he thanks us for it.

You might consider coming to me about marriage and family issues, you clearly have no clue...

Smile.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Thanks Frankie & Pietro.

If I dish it out, I've got to be willing to take it.

The problem is, they have a limp wrist shooting blanks.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
Thanks Frankie & Pietro.
If I dish it out, I've got to be willing to take it.
The problem is, they have a limp wrist shooting blanks.
Shucks. I feel all shy and stuff. I never get much positive feedback on this tolerant and diverse forum.

Often I even get threatened with violence by the people of tolerance for being perceived as not tolerant enough!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Shucks. I feel all shy and stuff. I never get much positive feedback on this tolerant and diverse forum.
Often I even get threatened with violence by the people of tolerance for being perceived as not tolerant enough!
Comrades in arms with a lesbian trapped in a straight man.

Now you've done it all!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Interesting site;

http://www.harvard-jlpp.com/wp-content/
uploads/2011/08/GeorgeFinal.pd f
Big D

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
So when are you three going to consummate your new same sex relationship? You three queers can pony up and get a decent room at Motel 6... drinks too.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
So when are you three going to consummate your new same sex relationship? You three queers can pony up and get a decent room at Motel 6... drinks too.
Now that's not very nice Big D....it's not very tolerant...check the manual.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

http://www.legalzoom.com/us-law/immigration/i...

Susan Funaro
Oct 2007

What happens when a family wants to immigrate to the U.S. and their country of origin allows polygamy? U.S. federal law clearly prohibits polygamy among both citizens and immigrants.

[1]

Does U.S. law bend or make exceptions for immigrants?

History of U.S. polygamy laws and immigration

U.S. immigration policies were fairly liberal until the late 1800s. State courts were responsible for the naturalization of U.S. citizens until 1875. It was at this point that the Supreme Court ruled immigration a federal responsibility. And, by 1891, the federal government began processing its first immigrants. That same year new limitations on immigration were clarified. In particular, polygamists were officially barred.

Now let's fast forward to the late twentieth-century. Polygamy crept back into the popular consciousness in the 1970s with the Thai Hmong refugee population. They began to receive public attention when Thai leaders met with a U.S. delegation to discuss that many prospective refugees practiced polygamy.

But it was not until a spokesman for the International Organization of Migration publicly stated that "in practice [polygamy] was negotiable...On paper; they can have one wife only," that controversy grew over polygamy.

Why now?

With greater numbers of immigrants from openly polygamous backgrounds immigrating to the U.S., it seems only natural that polygamy would again be raised as an issue.

What about refugees?

Although refugees have a certain protected status, refugees who resettle to the U.S. must still meet the government conditions for entry. Having refugee status does not guarantee admission. In fact, refugees may be denied entry into the US for a host of reasons; because of criminal records, serious health problems, or drug addiction.

What can a refugee do?

The Bantus of Somalia for example practice polygamy. Many families even have up to four wives. But a number of their other cultural practices may also bring them into direct conflict with the conditions of immigration. For example, the Bantu's practice burning or scarring as a form of healing, discipline their children physically, and perform female circumcision at puberty. All of these customs violate U.S. laws.

To prevent problems, refugee groups are educated about U.S. customs and laws well before immigration. U.S. sponsors also accept the responsibility to help immigrants acclimate to U.S. life and laws. Numerous agencies also exist to support immigrants.

Yet, issues like homeland security, quota control, and refugee policies all complicate immigration. One good starting point for immigration information is the worldwide web. The U.S. government has a portal to information, services, and transactions, including immigration. Immigration lawyers can also help interpret current laws and policies as one navigates to naturalization.

For now, there's no marriage between multiple spouses and U.S. law. But debates over marriage law are in the air thanks to gay marriage.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's not very nice Big D....it's not very tolerant...check the manual.
Someone is using my handle... not me
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is his place to judge others and whether they should raise children or not, then it is my place to judge him

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood Big D, this:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>

Seemed to be a departure from your usual posture. A fake Big D is trolling around........this sounds like a job for SUPER BIG D! Ta DAAAAAAH!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure Big D. We believe you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 167,541 - 167,560 of200,321
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palo Alto Discussions

Search the Palo Alto Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Tue Sparky A2 7,833
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Tue Ronald 2,251
Report: Retaliation by supervisors common at VA Mon Viet Nam Vet 1
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Mon Racjei 4,885
San Lorenzo man pleads not guilty to beating (Apr '09) Jul 18 annonymous 46
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 11 This topics peaked 15,911
Review: Vencoa Inc (Jul '12) Jul 5 jainy2 54
•••
•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palo Alto People Search