Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,311)

Showing posts 166,201 - 166,220 of200,211
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
actually yes it does, more child abuse and domestic violence is reported because in the bad old days, no one dared report it.
He that does evil, hateth the light ( gee you may know that phrase )
I know children that were saved from hateful and abusive parents, I know what the old days you pine for were, and we as a people free from that tynary are never, ever going back
That's it, sir!! Pound your fist on the railing! Shout in a fit!! Work the crowd up into a lather, sir!! I think you're on to something, now...Think! Of the possibilities...
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
When Kim Kardashian married Kris Humphries for 72 days, was that a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior?
When Anna Nicole Smith, who met 85 year old oil tycoon, J. Howard Marshall, at the strip club where she performed and then married him, was that a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior?
When the minister, Glynn "Scotty" Wolfe, married and divorced 29 times, were those cross cultural constraints on evolutionary mating behavior?
When Britney Spears married Jason Allen Alexander at The Little White Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas; only to have it annulled 55 hours later, was that a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior?
Face it, you boob, heterosexual marriage has been in decline for centuries. It has nothing to do with gays.
Perfectly normal, long-term gay couples wish to marry one another. It will have NO impact on marriage and families.
You have a cob up your jacksie about gays--that's all. You think we're "broken"--that we are genetic mistakes. You think these things even though you have no proof to back up your claims.
Get over it! Gays are normal, functioning, people. I would say that they're just like you, but that would be insulting to us.
No, those were predictable train wrecks, like SSM.
"heterosexual marriage has been in decline for centuries. "? Oh? I need for you to explain how less people have been getting married, over the centuries..Please provide documented data, and peer reviews. Please give your margin for error.
Or, you could simply admit that you have gone out on a limb, and made a false claim (again).
And don't flatter yourself by thinking that you are the rational ones. You have already been told.
Tell us when we get to the part where you set yourselves up as the originally rational ones, and how we heterosexuals have always been duplicating your idealogy.
And, please don't forget to include the bit about how we are "closet cases' for asserting that you are broken.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I still think they are desperately trying to preserve the holiness of Brittany Spears 3 day "just for fun" marriage
We already know that you are an idiot. No confirmation necessary.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times have you made this stupid argument? Equal protection of the law. PLEASE explain how 5 people in a marriage are equal to two people.
And where is it written that changing one aspect of a law means ALL aspects are required to be changed? It's such a bogus argument. If I thought you had any sense, I'd expect you'd be embarrassed, but somehow YOU think it's a valid point. Yeah, right.....
Those 2 people do not possess any more rights than do the 5. Or, any less. Ipso facto, equality. Any other simply inane questions concerning governmental restrictions on marriage?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times have you made this stupid argument? Equal protection of the law. PLEASE explain how 5 people in a marriage are equal to two people.
And where is it written that changing one aspect of a law means ALL aspects are required to be changed? It's such a bogus argument. If I thought you had any sense, I'd expect you'd be embarrassed, but somehow YOU think it's a valid point. Yeah, right.....
And, ALL aspects are open for, and subject to, re-legislation, since you guys opened a can of worms. You cannot merely open a door for yourselves, and close it behind you. I think that falls under the "Equalitus For Allofus" argument.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee.... why do you bother to get out of bed in the mornings if you are so afraid of the unknown. What a wuss.
The only thing that I am afraid of is that you might one day wake up and think that you are his equal. "Yikes"
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times are you ignoring the equal protection of the husband AND wife within the marital relationship?
<quoted text>
Think about the simple requirements that are in place now XBox. The participants have to consent, be of age, not closely related by blood other than first cousins in some states, not currently married, and of the opposite sex in most states. If the opposite sex requirement is dropped, there's no need to prohibit same sex siblings from marrying. No chance of pregnancy there.
If the nature, conjugality (as in husband and wife) of the marital relationship is no longer a requirement, why should the number be a requirement? Why prohibit certain pairings? Why does it matter who marries who, or doesn't marry who?
That'd be due to the fact that even the kids on the short buses have a hierarchy of "coolness". "They're the 'tards, I don't know how I got mixed up with them".
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
OK... Let's look at "real America". In 2008, just over 40% of live births in this country were to single parent households. That's up from 18.4% in 1980.
I thought that evolutionary mating behavior (from a cross cultural perspective) depended on marriage.
Apparently not...
Don't throw gays under the bus just because you straight people can't seem to stay married.
Hundreds of thousands of us would love to be given the opportunity to marry someone for life.
You can't predict whether or not a gay couple will divorce any more than I can predict whether or not a straight couple will.
Umm, Simple Simon...
He made no predictions. He threw no gays under any bus, based upon statistics of straight people. Live births to single straight households have no bearing on SSM. You may marry, for life, anyone of the opposite sex. And if you stop objecting to polygamy, you may marry into a polygamous marriage, and have a "favorite". It won't have to be a person of the opposite gender then, now, will it? See, how accepting the desires of others can help you?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. That's more your schtick.
And why would I rate my posts bad and yours good you big dummy? Boy are you stupid. Too funny!
P.S. Get an argument and get back to us.
Because he's f**ked-up?
I get this: "Please refrain from posting profanity or offensive material.
Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. "Please refrain from posting profanity or offensive material.
Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. " when I try to type the words that the gays get to use, with impunity...
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You can, some of us cannot. Some posters are more equal than others on Topix.
Right. I get: "Please refrain from posting profanity or offensive material.
Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. "
What clearer example of one-sidedness is there?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Then throw all marriage out the window. Everyone is free to pair up, raise children, and then move on with their lives if they so choose.
We'll let churches own the word "marriage". Only those couples who are afraid of being damned to eternal hell would seek matrimony.
Let's just take government completely out of the business of marriage. No one gets rights or protections. Everyone--gay, straight, whatever--can fend for themselves.
Such a GREAT idea! Why didn't the founders think of that?
The Founders never pictured wing-nuts like you. And, nice commentary on the statistics of SSD[ivorce].
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not "opinion", it's proven every time you are unable to provide a rational fact based retort.
<quoted text>
Obama said to spread the wealth, so here I am.
<quoted text>
You have self admitted that you are ignorant of the founding documents. So I figure you have two choices: 1) Remain so and keep looking like one -or- 2) Go educate yourself.
You seem to have chosen the latter.
<quoted text>
Perhaps I do, do you know?
<quoted text>
Are you fake?
<quoted text>
Now you are just fabricating things in a sad attempt to save face.
You have been unable to point out a single flaw in my argument, and I am far from angry. For me to get angry with you, you would actually have to have the ability to effect my life. You don't, though your delusions of grandeur are comical.
<quoted text>
Where is the fury? The only anger I see is coming from you, you seem a bit upset about consistently having your ass handed to you.
Take note of your response here, you haven't even attempted to respond to a single question I posed to you, my guess is you lack the ability to. You have only presented two forms of replies to me: 1) A personal attack such as the one you presented here -or- 2) A rant of random talking points that have nothing to do with the subject matter.
Really it is pretty sad for someone who claims to hold a MSW. I would consider requesting a refund of my tuition if I were you.
I'm sure that he is full, from his "I-eat-my ass" sandwich, that you constantly prepare, for him.
Thank you, for being coherent and eloquent, I just can't resist being more low-level about it, but you are doing a great job. Hat's off to you.
:-D
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Do the right thing, give LGBT equal rights.
They have the same rights as I do. Want to win the game? Play by its rules.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it, sir!! Pound your fist on the railing! Shout in a fit!! Work the crowd up into a lather, sir!! I think you're on to something, now...Think! Of the possibilities...
On no, that is a priests job

I am stating a simple fact

People work on their marriages now, partnerships in life. They donít rely on the crutch of wedding rings forged into handcuffs.
iceman

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

I think that the gays are not understanding how lucky they are not being allowed to get married. I have been married for years and frankly speaking it is overrated. If I could have just stayed boy friend / girlfriend rather then do the husband and wife thing, I would have been much happier.
Don't be so quick to throw away the perfect excuse to not be committed! It is a hidden blessing.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
it is the freedom that matters, if you choose to subjugate yourself to people pushing their imaginary playmate on you to control you behavior while hiding behind a pulpit, that is your affair
You're using those "oh so confusing" big words again, you should stick to "My Little Pony"...
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
They have the same rights as I do. Want to win the game? Play by its rules.
No in California 18,000 same sex couples are legally married, while others are no allowed to marry. They are demanding equal rights as other same sex couples have, and they will get them. One way or the other.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, the only one mentioning religion is you.
Yep. Grabbing them by the collars, so that he may whip them for being pushy...
The old "Poland has attacked the Fatherland" routine, again...
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
hmmm.... let's see..... what was that post of yours? "You must be some kind of wimp, to threaten people on the internet."
Curious.
Not at all curious. Just my response to his claim that we are weasels that shrivel up, when he's around.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Paranoia....... very sad.
It couldn't POSSIBLY be that you're a wing-nut, now could it?
Paranoia, eh? F**ked up.= "Please refrain from posting profanity or offensive material.
Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. "
This is my "paranoia". I get this message when I type the exact same words that VV typed. Except, he didn't have to use 2 asterisks to edit his post. I did. You call that paranoia? Hmm.. interesting. I call it absolute proof. Yeah, keep talking....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 166,201 - 166,220 of200,211
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE