Tongan Community Demands Answers to F...

Tongan Community Demands Answers to Fatal Shooting

There are 140 comments on the KCBS story from Dec 29, 2006, titled Tongan Community Demands Answers to Fatal Shooting. In it, KCBS reports that:

Officials have released the name of a sheriff's sergeant involved in a fatal shooting in East Palo Alto that left a 16-year-old Tongan boy dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KCBS.

Atherton Resident

San Francisco, CA

#22 Jan 5, 2007
He dies wrote:
<quoted text>
lmao. you go ahead and let it be known. i agree with you 100% and im a tongan lady. i even knew the little boy. Practically grew up around the same people and i gots to admit, he was a wannabe gangster and i believe in my heart that he got the business because he deserved it. Rest In Peace my ass. he went around shooting at innocent people, threatening families prior 2 that incident that got him shot up and killed. ahaha. he's been disqualified and i pray that happeneds to the rest of his shitty little friends and cousins.
Thank You! Finally someone with common sense! It's people like you and me that are trying to make a difference in our communities. people like the wanna be gangsters are just making things worse for us. Even though they are just killing each other, they are bringing bad reputation not just to themselves, but to our towns too.
Wiser from Vancouver

Vancouver, WA

#23 Jan 6, 2007
206 love wrote:
<quoted text>
no its neva too late yah hea because if u were put in this situation then you'll prolly realize the pain that the tongan community is goin thru aight and umm the parents of the boi or any parents dont have to demand dea kid to stay home. because they wanna get out and smell da fresh air and have a damn life aight and the fact that u prolly dont have any kids and ur runnin your damn mouth about being a parent and demand ur damn kid to stay home is really none of ur damn biznizz aight cuhz ur not in da kid shoe or ur not the one tryin to live life to da fullest aight why dont chu just leave the tongan community alone so they can find there answer to this shit aight peace. oh and umm if i were u i woulndnt talk about the ghetto cuhz if u step in the ghetto u knoe how it feels to be in the ghetto and how it is to be ghetto aight so if i were i would shut the hell up cha feel meeh
Deuce oh Six of in da house nd payin some respect for the fellow youngin.
RIP
What??? How much more ghetto can you get with this? You spelling shows how much your English period meant to you. I feel like I just ran through the ghetto reading your comment...yuk!
411for Good

Alameda, CA

#24 Jan 7, 2007
I am sorry to say that any body living in East Palo Alto lives in suburbia compared to the projects in Frisco, Oaktown, Compton and so on. If you think EPA is a ghetto, I don't think you know what a ghetto is. This is why I laugh with sorrow in my heart at the youths now these days. Not pointing at this individual who lost his life for what reason I don't know, but I pray that we will see him in the next life when God comes back to take his children home. I have lived in EPA for over 35 years and you know the violence comes and goes. Only God knows what happened and I know the truth will come out and we should be praying and finding ways to better our community and not tearing it down.
Forgive me if I said anything in this quote that might have offended anyone, but God be with you all in E P A and pray that we see a better future for our next generation.
RIP MAiKOLO wrote:
<quoted text>
First off you didn't even know him okay. You judging him by what you hear from the media is stupid. I knew him and he was a brite person bitch!!!!!!! He would always come to the bus stop prepared and ready to go to school. Don't try and tell me that he wasn't a brite person. Please save you breathe.
Another thing I have to say is that you don't know what it's like to live or grow up in the "Ghetto" or whatever you want to call it. Some people who live their don't have any money to live in a nice suburban neighborhood. You don't know how we live life unless you've been in someones shoes that came from the"Ghetto".
I don't recall you being at the scene of the crime. Stop jumping to conclusions about minorities.
And how the hell do you know that he did pull a gun on them. You can't trust the media because they say what they want to say and everyone believes it. I don't
411for Good

Alameda, CA

#25 Jan 7, 2007
It's so true, if parents do not stay on top of their children, they would lose a hold of them. I know I have seen it with my own eyes and have seen these individuals bring violence back to their own home. Drive by shooting because of a cat fight that happened the day before. Who gets hurt, the innocent! I know that polynesian customs are to have respect to everyone especially your elders. When polynesian parents lose sight of this, all hell breaks lose. This is why I want to encourage all parents especially polynesian parents to encourage and not to discourage, we need God in the center of our families.
smart citizen

San Francisco, CA

#26 Jan 7, 2007
411for Good wrote:
It's so true, if parents do not stay on top of their children, they would lose a hold of them. I know I have seen it with my own eyes and have seen these individuals bring violence back to their own home. Drive by shooting because of a cat fight that happened the day before. Who gets hurt, the innocent! I know that polynesian customs are to have respect to everyone especially your elders. When polynesian parents lose sight of this, all hell breaks lose. This is why I want to encourage all parents especially polynesian parents to encourage and not to discourage, we need God in the center of our families.
Thats Right! polys spend their time worrying about loving their culture, they need to spend their time keeping an eye on their kids!
Kulukulutea

Tempe, AZ

#27 Jan 16, 2007
Tonganz need to stop fighting and learn how to love one another!!!!
epa resident

Alamo, CA

#28 Jan 16, 2007
Before I post my opinion, I want to say I;m not referring to all the Polys But most! Maybe if polys stop spending their lives "praying and giving to their own poly culture and churches, and start giving more time to their children it will make a huge difference! Half the time these parents are spending their time praying or socializing with other people that they ignore their own children. Why do you think these kids are resorting to violene? I'll tell you why, because they are craving attention from their parents. Problem is that the parents are too blind to see or just plain lazy so it's easier for them to just turn their heads the other way and act like they have no idea that there kids dress a certain way and wonder around the streets. That's sad!
JAK

AOL

#29 Jan 17, 2007
-Chris, I agree. As terrible as a death is, especially with a young person - what was this kid doing with the gun? This child had a gun and was ready to use it... this in itself is outrageous! What were the EPA police supposed to do? Remember, there are two sides to the story, lets not forget the East Palo Alto Police and the position they were put in.
Chris wrote:
The Tongan community is outraged about this boy's death at the hands of police officers, but let me ask you a question: do you think the Tongan community in EPA is outraged by the disproportionately high percentage of violent crimes they commit on the Peninsula?
I fully support EPA police on this one.
-Chris
tongan to the heart

San Francisco, CA

#30 Jan 17, 2007
He dies wrote:
<quoted text>
lmao. you go ahead and let it be known. i agree with you 100% and im a tongan lady. i even knew the little boy. Practically grew up around the same people and i gots to admit, he was a wannabe gangster and i believe in my heart that he got the business because he deserved it. Rest In Peace my ass. he went around shooting at innocent people, threatening families prior 2 that incident that got him shot up and killed. ahaha. he's been disqualified and i pray that happeneds to the rest of his shitty little friends and cousins.
I WOULDNT REALLY BELIVE THAT U ARE A "TONGAN LADY" BECAUSE IF U WERE, AND U PRACTICALLY GREW AROUND THE SAME PEOPLE!...THEN U WONT B DISRESPECTING HIS FAMILY LIKE THAT SAYING ALL THAT CRAP.!!..IF U WERE IN THE POSITION THAT WE ARE AT RITE NOW I DONT THINK U WOULD'NT BE TALKING YOUR SHIT LIKE THAT..IF U GREW UP IN THE TONGAN FAMILY AND THE TONGAN WAY THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE LEARNED THAT "FAKA'APA'APA KI HO KAU'NGA API"..AND IF U ARE TONGAN THEN YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS..(FOR YOU WHO DONT KNOW WHAT IT MEANS..PAY RESPECT TO YOUR NEIGHBORS)...AND MOST OF ALL TALK WHAT YOU "KNOW" NOT WHAT YOU ""THINK"". ..
Rest.In.Paradise
*MAIKELI IONGI*
stranger from the 808

Honolulu, HI

#33 Feb 13, 2007
Rest In Peace to who ever died. These are the same problems in Hawaii too man.All the Tongan people just want to gangbang and everything, Tongan gangs like Tongan Crip Gang, Tongan Ville Bois, Young Tongan Crip Gang, and the Lalo Pasi Boyz.But mostly all the Tongans in Hawaii join the Tongan Crip Gang...Us Tongan youths are just trouble in Hawaii.
Salakielu Fam Cam 808

Honolulu, HI

#34 Feb 15, 2007
even though i neva knew dis kid,i was related to him, so R.I.P cuzz. down in tha 808 dea is Tongan gangs 2 but everyone jus becums part of the Tongan Crip Gang.
Common Sense

Oakland, CA

#36 Feb 15, 2007
Salakielu Fam Cam 808 wrote:
even though i neva knew dis kid,i was related to him, so R.I.P cuzz. down in tha 808 dea is Tongan gangs 2 but everyone jus becums part of the Tongan Crip Gang.
You two guys from the 808 really sound STUPID. Learn how to spell and speak english please. You guys must be from a gang, never went to school and have no life. Tongan crip gang ohhhhh please grow the ---- up!!!!!Get a job, get a life. In Oahu the tongan gangs are the least respected, they gang up on people and beat them up. Hawaii could do without you. The people of Hawaii have pride, pleaseeee don't make them look bad.
2 Cz cuh

Auckland, New Zealand

#37 Feb 21, 2007
i just want to let yall no..that for us youth..its hard yamean..sometimes ppl dnt listen to us..so we behave the way we do and plus ...we think as young youth that our friends are the only ppl out there...i live in the ghetto an its hard for me to get money from my parents..cause we cant bearly afford things to provide our family with food an etc...SO WE go an hustle on our own...try to make our on hustle..to provide the things we want for our needs..to survive in a society that makes us the way we are...but yea...rest in peace to my lowcs out there cuh..one love...an to my brother whisky tcg rest in peace..much love to all the haters out there to...just only god can judge us in the things that we do an say...an for our actions to..just remeber ..when its your time to die..then its your time to die...its the lords will..aight...peace out...102st n 111th TONGAN CRIP GAN...NUTT FAMM ON MINES CUH...C.zUP CUH..FO LYPE...
RiP LocO aNd C-Ma

San Mateo, CA

#38 Feb 22, 2007
Okaii, basically all you guys need to stop and re-read your shit because its just NOT TRUE!.if your Tongan then you would understand. I bet you its white people writing all this bullshit about "parents dont teach them right from wrong"..you guys dont got no right to be speakin on my family!you guys always think that oh TONGAN VS. SAMOAN OR TONGAN VS. TONGAN!thats bullshit to!We dont care about that tongan hating samoan shit.All you guys sit there and say how stupid we talk because were defending our family!R U SERIOUS!everyone comes on this shit because everyones always switching up the story and only those that knew My cuzzin would know that that he didnt shoot at the cop!you guys dont knoe shit about my family!so stop tryna say that he deserved it because IT WASNT HIS TIME TO GO!
What Come on

Moraga, CA

#39 Feb 22, 2007
It is very sad a young man had to lose his life so early..
BOTTOM LINE:
What was he doing out that late at night?
What was he doing carrying a gun (real gun with bullets)?
Why was he running from the Police?
Parents need to take responsibility!!!This didn't happen overnight; this wasn't his first time carrying a gun and not his first time being out that late.....! COME ON THINK ABOUT IT..It's not that hard to figure out. If you want to make a comment and prevent this from happening again Be true to your self, don't blame the cops for doing there jobs that night. If you want the violence to stop then don't lie to yourself or others. Don't make excuses. Obey the laws of this country or go back to yours!!!!!!!!!!
tama vavau

United States

#42 Mar 7, 2007
hange koe lau ae tau fanga kui

MAU MAI AE FIE LAHI KO IA KE PA'A'i KE SIKO
StuckinMenloPark

Pleasanton, CA

#43 Mar 8, 2007
This is a tragedy any way you look at it!
-If the Tongan community wants an investigation to discover if the shots were unwarrented and there is enough evidence to question that is their right. Why can't we be supportive of this simple protection given to us by the law?

-However, it may be connected to other socialogical trends. This is an individual event. It is unfair to make illogical connections to larger patterns in social behavior such as 'Tongans commit lots of crime..', without evidence. In addition, if that statement is true, how in the world is it connected to the question whether the shooting was just or not?

As a community we like to blame those who suffer. We will not allow someone to be a victim because that would call into question the system as a whole, we would have to look at ourselves in a deeper way, we would have to look at our own individual prejudices that we want to pretend don't exist.

Why can't our first thought be one of compassion and empathy.
lina

Canada

#45 Mar 21, 2007
Wiser from Vancouver wrote:
<quoted text>
What??? How much more ghetto can you get with this? You spelling shows how much your English period meant to you. I feel like I just ran through the ghetto reading your comment...yuk!
hey Wiser from Vancouver dont talk about the ghetto like you know anything of how it feels okay you piece of trash . I live in Vancouver and i could really care about what you people half too say about tongans.
Well i hope that one day you gise get some balls and go up too a tongan person and tell them whats on your mind. AAHAHHAHAHAH, yeah thats what i thought now sit down and shutup because really when it comes down to it all you haters are just all talk. This is what i hear from your mouth "BLAH BLAH BLAH WE NEED TO STOP THE VIOLENCE THE TONGAN PEOPLE ARE CORRUPT" Like i said all of you gise are talk, if you want to do something about it get up and do something. If not then shutup sit down and stop acting like you care you care about violence or whatever.
Hating on Tongans well you see thats great you gise keep on hating but really your not going too confront one, your probably scared. Your the kind of people who run your mouths and when we confront you losers you run behind a police officer and say 'ohh im with the cops on this one'. Soooo really now explain to me whos all talk now? And you want know whats funny is how racist you gise are. You gise dont say some tongans, you say tongans as if all tongans are corrupt.
You obivously are the racist type but let me tell you the ones i know they got a job, they graduated from highschool, went to SFU one of the highest schools in Vancouver. There are so many more examples, many of who are in the states and arnt even close to gang related scenes. The sad thing is you gise only see the bad in us, not the good and thats too bad because unlike some people im not racist and dont judge others by an incident that i wasnt even their to witness.
My sympathy goes out to the people who lost the little boy. Even if this incident was the cops or the little kids its not our business to try and act like were judges. Pain is still pain it never goes away but it gets better, so while your sitting here hurting family members feelings all because it probably makes you feel better or you want too voice your opinion
You haters are so Low, leave them alone!
so if you are a family member of this boy dont listen to what others say. They just have no life and sice there life is so boring they thought they would try and be in yours. Pathetic?? yes
Am i tongan?? yes i am and i am very proud of my roots. I dont care what you half to say but i mean go ahead and write something because i know you have something to write back but all i half to say is that your words dont hurt. I mean you have your opinion and thats great but do i half too believe in what you say?? No
Do you half to believe in what i say?? No
exactly now it was great talking too you people have a great day !
what come on

Hayward, CA

#46 Mar 21, 2007
Wow another person's feelings hurt..SOOO sad. Well what about the VICTIMS of the tongan boy. What about the people he hurt and robbed that night. Yea and what about the Cops who shot him, do you think there happy they shot a 16 year old. So please don't make things worse by making your stupid comments. You are a bad person. Why would anyone want to go up to a tongan and start trouble or any other person?? You give tongans a bad name. If you told someone how you feel face to face, then a civilized person would argue the point without violence.. You really feel stupid now don't you!!!
Emalata

Lodi, CA

#47 Mar 24, 2007
OFF TOP, CHRIS u dont noe nuthing about the tongan community so keep ya mouth shut b4 u get blasted OgAY!...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
topix forum misused (May '09) 15 hr Billy Rawhide 2
massive chinese furniture web-site and relative... Thu jimheeren 1
News Advances Against Chronic Pain (Sep '12) Aug 26 Ambct617 20
News What's Vanessa Diffenbaugh reading? Aug 19 moodylarry 1
RIP Chuck (Charles Perry lll) (Feb '12) Aug 18 D Shot 24
gutter cleaning Aug 16 randall1022 1
Is There A Police Helicopter Flying Around?? (Aug '08) Aug 13 Duque_dolores 56
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palo Alto Mortgages