Sunnyvale police shoot, kill one person, arrest two near schools

Sep 12, 2007 | Posted by: Groucho | Full story: www.mercurynews.com

Sunnyvale police officers shot and killed one man and arrested two others this morning on the 1100 block of Ayala Drive, according to the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety.

Comments
21 - 40 of 62 Comments Last updated May 30, 2013
go get it

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Sep 17, 2007
 
meow meow
Just Joe

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Sep 18, 2007
 
As reported by the PA Times....

"Detectives Chris Searle and Darren Pang were placed on paid administrative leave following Wednesday's shooting of Jose Canas, 32. Moretto said Searle and Pang were both victims of assault.

Police had a warrant for Canas when he was shot, as well as for two other men, in connection with the fatal stabbing of Pablo Rosales on Aug. 17.

Police on Wednesday morning arrested the other two men, Douglas Antonio Valdezavelar, 29, and Ericson Eduardo Ventura, 25.

Once Valdezavelar and Ventura were arrested, police attempted to arrest Canas but were involved in some sort of altercation.

Canas was in his car on Ayala Drive when the detectives each fired at him."

Question is why did the police decide to shoot Mr. Canas and not shoot Mr. Valdezavelar and Mr. Ventura? Anyone know the facts?

Since: Apr 07

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Sep 19, 2007
 
Angela wrote:
No he did not survive. Rest In Peace. There was no reason for the police to shoot him he did not even have a weapon. I have nothing eles to say. If you want the facts and I dont know why because all you have is negitive things to say and you are not trying to help you can research it. I dont understand how you are writing about something and you did not even know that he passed. Like you should have been taught when you were in preschool if you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all. I dont think anyone wants to get shot. Do You ?? How Do you know he made horrible choices?? Do you know him ??
NO so get a life and stop writting about people you dont even know. When you pass do you want people saying bad things about you??
RIP
Turn around is fair play... you have nothing but bad things to say about Sunnyvale DPS. It's ok for you to rant about alleged injustice, but no one else can speak from the other view point???

Since: Apr 07

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Sep 19, 2007
 
Someone rambled about the driver being unarmed... I'm sorry, but having been hit and dragged by a vehicle myself, I have first-hand knowledge that 3000 pounds of steel can do some serious damage to a human body. If you don't think a vehicle can be considered a "deadly weapon", you need a healthy reality check....

Since: Apr 07

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Sep 19, 2007
 
the_guttersnipe wrote:
Lastly, the man was in his car, he didn't have time to co-operate with the police before he was shot.
How do you come to this conclusion? How much time is needed for someone to comply?

“One of the Beaker People”

Since: Aug 07

Way Out West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Sep 19, 2007
 
OK, some more details emerge. It seems he was the suspected murderer, and it seems he tried to run the peace officers down with his car. In all circles an attempt to hit someone with a car is assault. Since he knew they were onto him he probably did not stop when he was ordered to.

My question to those who feel this is unjustified, would you have felt the same if he had hit the peace officer and made a good get away? Would you have told the police where he was???? NO??? Then you are an accessory to murder, or harboring a fugitive. It doesn't matter if he was your cousin, brother, husband or son, he should stop when ordered by the peace officers to do so. If he has nothing to hide he will be released.

The reason that crime in the US is so prevalent is that people permit crime to occur. That is, they know the criminal, but won't convince the criminal to stop being a criminal.

School teachers experience this all the time when a student gets out of line and the parents need to be talked to...."What?, Not My Little Jimmy, He Is An Angel!"
It now appears that the deceased was the suspected murderer. Though I would prefer life in prison than execution for this murderer (if that turns out to truely be the case) it appears he made a differnt choice for himself
BAY-DESTRIAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Sep 20, 2007
 
Jose Canas r.i.p was a good person with a great heart.He was not a gang member but a loving husband,father and a great friend.He was merely at the wrong place at the wrong time, he lived across the street from where the first murder took place he probably came out that night to see what was going on and someone wrongfully and ignorantly placed him at the crime scene making him a homicide suspect.His daily life consisted of going to work spending time with his kids and watching sports.He was a huge raider fan!and was talking about taking his two twins to the next game.I want you all to know he did not deserve to die he wasn't violent nor was he into drugs and had no weapons.He was a great man he was my friend and im going to miss seeing him walk his two sons up and down the street.I believe in karma if not in this lifetime judgement day but there will have to be jusice for this.Cops have been getting away with this shit way too long.Im going to miss you ill see you up there one day jose and only god knows when.
Only God Can Judge Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Sep 20, 2007
 
Jose Canas r.i.p was a good person with a great heart.He was not a gang member but a loving husband,father and a great friend.He was merely at the wrong place at the wrong time, he lived across the street from where the first murder took place he probably came out that night to see what was going on and someone wrongfully and ignorantly placed him at the crime scene making him a homicide suspect.His daily life consisted of going to work spending time with his kids and watching sports.He was a huge raider fan!and was talking about taking his two twins to the next game.I want you all to know he did not deserve to die he wasn't violent nor was he into drugs and had no weapons.He was a great man he was my friend and im going to miss seeing him walk his two sons up and down the street.I believe in karma if not in this lifetime judgement day but there will have to be jusice for this.Cops have been getting away with this shit way too long.Im going to miss you ill see you up there one day jose and only god knows when.

“One of the Beaker People”

Since: Aug 07

Way Out West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Sep 20, 2007
 
Besides the cut and paste posts above, the deceased could have changed the outcome of this situation by complying with the peace officers. He CHOSE not to. This was a good opportunity to teach his children but now his wife and family will consider the police to be at fault. This story is not done yet. You state he had no weapons, this is not true. He used his car (a weapon that kills many thougsand [per year) to attempt to run don another human. I suppose if he had been sucessful it woulod have been too bad for the dumb cop standing in his way, right? HE HAD A CHOICE AND HE MADE A BAD ONE.
Only God Can Judge Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Sep 20, 2007
 
he got shot with a stun gun!! how could you possibly have control of a vehicle thats why he hit a garbage can i was there and i know the truth there will be justice!!on top of that he gets shot in the head after already being hit by the stun gun that was uncalled for.you can believe whatever cops tell you but they executed him in front of his family!!!!
Only God Can Judge Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Sep 20, 2007
 
he was never given a chance!!!!He was murdered why because somebody had to pay for what happened aug.17 piece of shit guy who came looking for trouble chasing people with weapons.And got his why am i defending because that same guy chased me in his car flashing me a knife asking me if i was a northern banger because i merely had a giants cap on thats b.s.

Since: Apr 07

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Sep 21, 2007
 
You say you were there and that "he was never given a chance?" So what you're trying to say is that the police, in a high-density residential neighborhood and the great possibility of numerous witnesses, never made a verbal request/order/whatever you want to call it, for the driver of the vehicle to stop???? It sounds like he was given two opportunities...once verbally upon the officers initial approach and then when less-than-lethal force was used (you referred to it as a "stun gun"). He continued to make bad decisions and is now paying for those decisions. Tragic yes, but perhaps he could have thought a little more about his family before he tried to run-down police officers.

Since: Apr 07

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Sep 21, 2007
 
Only God Can Judge Me wrote:
Jose Canas r.i.p was a good person with a great heart.He was not a gang member but a loving husband,father and a great friend.He was merely at the wrong place at the wrong time, he lived across the street from where the first murder took place he probably came out that night to see what was going on and someone wrongfully and ignorantly placed him at the crime scene making him a homicide suspect.His daily life consisted of going to work spending time with his kids and watching sports.He was a huge raider fan!and was talking about taking his two twins to the next game.I want you all to know he did not deserve to die he wasn't violent nor was he into drugs and had no weapons.He was a great man he was my friend and im going to miss seeing him walk his two sons up and down the street.I believe in karma if not in this lifetime judgement day but there will have to be jusice for this.Cops have been getting away with this shit way too long.Im going to miss you ill see you up there one day jose and only god knows when.
...sounds more like you didn't really know someone as well as you thought you did....

“One of the Beaker People”

Since: Aug 07

Way Out West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Sep 21, 2007
 
Only God Can Judge Me wrote:
he was never given a chance!!!!He was murdered why because somebody had to pay for what happened aug.17 piece of shit guy who came looking for trouble chasing people with weapons.And got his why am i defending because that same guy chased me in his car flashing me a knife asking me if i was a northern banger because i merely had a giants cap on thats b.s.
Why didn't you turn him into the police for his threats? As long as you condone violence you will be subject to it, a part of it so to speak.

This situation is starting to sound like(sadly)typical gang style violence. The gentleman who tried to run you down with a car "got what was coming to him" you say? You were wearing a Giants Cap? In a area with known gang activity? Sounds like you make questionable decisions too. Banger means something else to me by the way, Sausage! Have a great breakfast because if you keep acting and thinking the way you do, you will be enjoying breakfast with Mr. Canas thanks to someone weating a Dodgers cap!
Only God Can Judge Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Sep 21, 2007
 
he didnt try to run down police officers he got rammed from the back got hit by a stun gun and than crashed into a garbage can,he was knocked out so his foot slammed on the accelerator in first gear and than got shot in the head he was set up.
Only God Can Judge Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Sep 21, 2007
 
youre an a-hole of course i knew him he wouldnt run over a squirrel much less a human being im sure all he cared about in this world were his two sons who witnessed the tragedy just shut up already this is extremely painfull and im tired of people jumping to conclussions thinking they know more than the people who actually have more knowledge than anybody including law enforcement please lets stop the killings how about using non-lethal weapons.

“One of the Beaker People”

Since: Aug 07

Way Out West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Sep 21, 2007
 
Only God Can Judge Me wrote:
he didnt try to run down police officers he got rammed from the back got hit by a stun gun and than crashed into a garbage can,he was knocked out so his foot slammed on the accelerator in first gear and than got shot in the head he was set up.
Your story keeps changing of course.

Twist it how you want, he was ordered by the police to stop and did not stop. I recommend that when you are ordered to stop by the police, that you stop too. It might save another discussion like this one. Do you have childr4228

“One of the Beaker People”

Since: Aug 07

Way Out West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Sep 21, 2007
 
children?
Only God Can Judge Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Sep 21, 2007
 
why dont yo stick to playing oblivion its quite obvious you live in a fantasy world.After ten years of living in this neighborhood i never had a problem wearing a damn giants hat this is ridiculous besides i did notify police,i am a part of the solution not the problem do stop prejudging people.

“One of the Beaker People”

Since: Aug 07

Way Out West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Sep 21, 2007
 
You've only been here 10 years and already involved in 2 deaths? I was really hoping that you lived in Redwood City. If you have children please help them to understand how wrong Mr. Canas actions were and how those actions led to his death.
Does your forum name imply that you are above the law? Talk about living in a fantasy land. Bangers for Breakfast?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Palo Alto News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Palo Alto
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••