Sunnyvale police shoot, kill one person, arrest two near schools

Sep 12, 2007 Full story: www.mercurynews.com 62

Sunnyvale police officers shot and killed one man and arrested two others this morning on the 1100 block of Ayala Drive, according to the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
GSS

San Francisco, CA

#1 Sep 13, 2007
I live in one of the apartments there on this street and it is so dangerous. Seems like police must have stopped these guys and they took something out. Cops don't have fun shooting ppl randomly. They are protecting us so please refrain from jumping to conclusions about them.

“One of the Beaker People”

Since: Aug 07

Way Out West

#2 Sep 13, 2007
this action probably saved lives. the gang violence needs to be addressed. It's good that no safety officers were hurt. I really can't remember anyone accusing Sunnyvale of having a "police brutality" reputation.
Mountain View

San Jose, CA

#3 Sep 13, 2007
Although I'm getting tired of reading about people dying under police's weapons, I wish I knew what really happened that day. This guy was just a suspect and ended up dying as a criminal. Situations like these make me wonder if authorities abuse power.

Way Out West

#4 Sep 13, 2007
I suppose I spend too much time in East Germany. Stuff gets solved. Much less of this type of wasted resources. It's not likely that the cops shot for no reason. Was it an overuse of force? hard to define that.
Doesn't happen much in Sunnyvale which is one reason that we live here.
Cesar Orellana

Richardson, TX

#5 Sep 13, 2007
The person who got killed by the cops was my cousin Jose! He was going to work and his wife and 1 year old boy twins saw as their father and her husband got shot in the head! He made mistakes in his life but he decided to turn it around and marry and I had never seen him so happy of life being a father! He was not the right person but he sure got punished for it! I understand police have a job to do but they were wrong for their actions and they also will have to be judged. I wish people wouldnt judge with out knowing the complete truth! I am having to mourn a innocent family members injustice death! Thank you for reading. God Bless

“Allow me to introduce myself”

Since: Sep 07

666 East Brimstone

#6 Sep 13, 2007
Cesar Orellana wrote:
The person who got killed by the cops was my cousin Jose! He was going to work and his wife and 1 year old boy twins saw as their father and her husband got shot in the head! He made mistakes in his life but he decided to turn it around and marry and I had never seen him so happy of life being a father! He was not the right person but he sure got punished for it! I understand police have a job to do but they were wrong for their actions and they also will have to be judged. I wish people wouldnt judge with out knowing the complete truth! I am having to mourn a innocent family members injustice death! Thank you for reading. God Bless
Bless you and the trials to come. Be steadfast, the people farthest away will cast shadow and doubt to you, it is not easy to admit error and people of power rarely exercise guilt of conscience. Innocent or not is no longer the issue. May you find swift justice.

Way Out West

#7 Sep 14, 2007
Cesar Orellana wrote:
So what happened? Is it possible that if he was not the prime suspect then he knew who was?
It is unfortunate that anyone has to die, even the kid a few weeks ago who was beat to death with bricks was somebodys cousin as well. Is it possible that your cousin could have helped bring the real criminal to justice? It sounds like (until I hear back from you) that he had a good opportunity to show his wife and children some courage and leadership and cooperate with the safety officers. One has to wonder why he didn't
chest mate

Watsonville, CA

#8 Sep 14, 2007
weell.
this all is a past the true of this we are not secure with the police.(wy)because the kill people
and they said we make a mistake......
yeay...mistake....the are afraid.
since the got licens to kill the can make misstakes and be ok. we what tey do.....

Way Out West

#9 Sep 14, 2007
chest mate wrote:
weell.
this all is a past the true of this we are not secure with the police.(wy)because the kill people
and they said we make a mistake......
yeay...mistake....the are afraid.
since the got licens to kill the can make misstakes and be ok. we what tey do.....
In this case they have not yet said that they made a mistake. I guess we will see

Way Out West

#11 Sep 15, 2007
Cesar Orellana wrote:
Another article indicates your cousin survived the shooting. He was apparently shot after the other two were arrested. I am glad he survived to go through the justice system.
Angela

Oakland, CA

#12 Sep 15, 2007
My husband was close with Jose and he was a great father and husband.Sunnyvale Police needs to be stopped they are a corrupt police department that ran us out of Sunnyvale. I believe that police are here to serve and protect us but not Sunnyvale. They do as they want with no remorse for people or there family's. They have charged my husband with crimes in the past that were not even commited.We are praying for Jose's family. I am also praying everyday that Sunnyvale Police dept finally gets investated unfortantly it took someone dealth for it to happen. As for the people making comments on the story that dont have any idea what happended. Dont speak unless you have the facts and have been in dealings with Sunnyvale Police dept. Does anyone know how we can start a fund for Jose's family ??

Way Out West

#13 Sep 15, 2007
But he survived the shooting right? Is it possible he culd have just been arrested like the other two or was it iportant to get himself shot. He had a lot of input as to the outcome, family or no family. I feel for his family the same way as I do about anyones familty where that person made horrible choices.

I have dealt with the Sunnyvale PD for 30 years without trouble. You say don't speak unless you have the facts, so what are the facts?
Angela

Oakland, CA

#14 Sep 15, 2007
No he did not survive. Rest In Peace. There was no reason for the police to shoot him he did not even have a weapon. I have nothing eles to say. If you want the facts and I dont know why because all you have is negitive things to say and you are not trying to help you can research it. I dont understand how you are writing about something and you did not even know that he passed. Like you should have been taught when you were in preschool if you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all. I dont think anyone wants to get shot. Do You ?? How Do you know he made horrible choices?? Do you know him ??
NO so get a life and stop writting about people you dont even know. When you pass do you want people saying bad things about you??
RIP

Way Out West

#15 Sep 15, 2007
Lets see what the facts are and revisit it then, fair enough. Lets try to refrain from sniping, that will not lead to a better understandoing of the facts when they emerge.

Way Out West

#16 Sep 16, 2007
Not passing judgement but here is another article that says the gentleman that the police shot is expected to survive. Meaning that he was not killed.

http://www.nbc11.com/news/14101547/detail.htm...

Are you sure that we are talking about the same guy?
krystal one bear

San Francisco, CA

#17 Sep 16, 2007
why don't you all read posts from other sites, pertaining to this story. people involved in crime or related to criminals will always stand up for them. i'm one who doesn't and i grew up, live and donate time to my community. why don't you come over and live with us in the mission, sf. you suburb people are only getting a taste of our daily crap. why do you think we try and better ourselves. one goal for many, is to move into your areas. thats happening and look what comes along. you middle & upper class folks need to wake up. the people who complain come from this lifestyle or your total democrats & liberals who watch too much television. you go with the media, to place some kind of interest in your boring lives.
krystal one bear

San Francisco, CA

#18 Sep 16, 2007
by the way, its great that some of you donate time in our areas. honestly, its nice that you come, listen, feel and leave at night. of course, we appreciate it, but its really humorous. you read articles and watch movies and feel the need to get involved. you then feel like you understand, thats total b.s. but again, we can always use your donating time. what, you all think our family members are insensitive. majority of my family is involved with crime. my dad is doing a 20yr. hard sentence and my mom blames the system. thats a joke and i'm the first to admit it. i grew up, live and donate my time to the mission community. we all wanna better ourselves and move out to your areas. unfortunately, once out, its still hard to leave the lifestyle we grew up in and became accustomed to. sadly, people in your areas have to deal with that. seriously, criminals have families and they deeply love them. don't ever think that they wouldn't also hurt or kill you. its all justified, because its being done for the family. its pays the bills, puts food on the table and all that matters is their loved ones. people get real and start thinking about the hard truth.
krystal one bear

San Francisco, CA

#19 Sep 16, 2007
why is my posts saying i'm from fremont? i've always lived in the MISSION, OF SAN FRANCISCO.
the_guttersnipe

Menlo Park, CA

#20 Sep 17, 2007
I am afraid that the man is deceased, my mother is a friend of the family involved. I find Brother Oblivion's comments to be very interesting though, he suggests that we not jump to conclusions but then assumes such points as the police are trying to protect us, he man involved MUST have been a criminal and also that he wasn't co-operating with the authorities.

I don't know the officer involved so I cannot speak for his character one way or another, let's not assume that he is a good person. I also don't know if the man killed was in a gang, but even if he was, does that mean that the police can shoot you in your car as you leave to work? Lastly, the man was in his car, he didn't have time to co-operate with the police before he was shot.

And Krystal One Bear, people involved with crime or related to criminals will always stand up for them? I think you mean to say that people in general who are involved with friends or family will stick up for them. Does that then mean that no one sticks up for the innocent? Your premise is flawed. Also, why do you assume that we are all upper or middle class here? And even if so (I am not) why would you vent your frustrations here? Not to mention that the Mission isn't exactly the toughest neighborhood around...I mean, have you tried that great Thai fusion restaurant on Valencia lately??

My point though is that someone was killed here, as he was going to work, that is rarely if ever justified, suburb or not.

Way Out West

#21 Sep 17, 2007
Additional sketchy details are released:
1. Unspecified weapon
2. Altercation with the arresting officers

I still say however tragic that the deceaesed had at 50% of the accountability.

I don't see where I said that the police are here to protect us, but the sunnyvale police officers are trying to protect the Sunnyvale residents, I say this because they have are hired and paid to do so. The department exists and has policies and procedures for that reason. Crooked cops have been rooted out here before (recently in fact). We have established that criminals have families that love them too, as do the police, even the ones who are truely evil, I don't deny they exist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Animal rescue group finds forever homes 14 hr GOOD CAT DEAD CAT 1
Belmont Cops Racist Wed justice4all 1
24 7 emergency locksmith (Dec '11) Wed Calvin James 14
Rouse Properties Executes Three H&M Leases at K... Nov 25 kev 1
Complaints Against Google+ Nov 24 Ditto 93
Daly City Officer Charged With Excessive Force (Aug '06) Nov 24 harry singh 374
Ben smith Nov 22 old friend 1

Palo Alto News Video

Palo Alto Dating
Find my Match

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Palo Alto News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Palo Alto

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:04 pm PST

Bleacher Report 9:04PM
Is SF's Season over After Thanksgiving Loss?
ESPN 9:10 PM
Sherman's two INTs help Seahawks by 49ers
NFL 9:31 PM
Jed York: 49ers' loss to Seahawks 'wasn't acceptable'
Bleacher Report 9:52 PM
Hard-Hitting, Trash-Talking Seahawks Are Back
ESPN10:00 PM
Game Balls: Seahawks at 49ers