States Pressure Topix.com to Stop Charging for Abuse Review

May 17, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: ConsumerAffairs.Com

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal and 22 other state attorneys general are urging Internet message board host Topix.com to improve consumer protections and eliminate its $19.99 fee for a oepriority reviewa to eliminate abusive or inappropriate posts.

Comments
1 - 20 of 66 Comments Last updated Sep 9, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2010

Judged:

Awesome Attorney General Blumenthal!!

"“We are calling on Topix to abandon its outrageous pay-to-police policy and I urge consumers to join us in telling Topix to stop exploiting pain and abuse on its site,” Blumenthal said.

Exactly! they are exploiting pain and abuse.

“Forcing victims to pay in exchange for promptly stopping abusive, obscene and harassing Internet posts is exploitive financial bullying. The perpetrators, not victims, should be charged this unconscionable fee for making false or abusive posts."

Yes, it is unconscionable for Topix to charge to remove abusive posts, I would add it is also unconscionable for Topix to facilitate abusive posts by their troll-friendly practices.

End troll abuse on Topix and most definitely, end the corrupt practice of charging to remove offensive posts!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

Judged:

Ah the peace, of a Topix thread without trolls. See? Topix can call off the trolls, when they so chose to.

Let me mention here, just a few of the troll-friendly practices Topix.com engages in. Topix trolls are allowed to name the city, or even country for that matter, they are posting from. Topix trolls are given pre-alerts to moderated commentators, given time to prepare their response. Topix trolls, are given protection and immunity from the prosecution they often deserve, by Section 230 of the Common Decency Act, a vile act that protects Topix trolls.

Topix is facilitating trolling, making it a part of their "business" model. This is, as Conway says exploiting pain and abuse. This not only wrong, it is illegal, and the law - and the world - is catching up, fast.

“Got Bait?”

Since: May 10

Home Is Where the Heart Is

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

Interesting. I need to read this later. I hope Topix does eliminate the Priority Feedback and demand their Moderators do their jobs without charging Topix users for it.

They have been remiss in enforcing their Terms of Service in a fair and just manner. I know from my own experience, and they never give reasons for their reasons for banning someone.

This is a slippery slope for sure and Topix can't possibly please everyone, but they could do better in safeguarding the decent users from very vile and abusive attacks.

Get on it, Topix.

“Got Bait?”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

<reasons for banning someone...>

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

It is not outrageous. It is fair to charge for priority service. Still, I think they should put better policies and tools in place.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

Virginia needs a man in her life. She seems a bit bitter.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

Razorback Jack wrote:
Virginia needs a man in her life. She seems a bit bitter.
How come, as a woman, I am constantly accused by Topix trolls of either having a boyfriend - anyone who agrees with me or defends me - or in your case Razorback, needing one?

This is sexist harassment, nothing less. Dumb! juvenile.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

Virginia Olive Hoge wrote:
<quoted text>
How come, as a woman, I am constantly accused by Topix trolls of either having a boyfriend - anyone who agrees with me or defends me - or in your case Razorback, needing one?
This is sexist harassment, nothing less. Dumb! juvenile.
It's obvious that you have absolutely no sense of humor and the sooner the mods have had enough of your rant and ban you the sooner everyone here will forget you ever existed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

Razorback Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obvious that you have absolutely no sense of humor and the sooner the mods have had enough of your rant and ban you the sooner everyone here will forget you ever existed.
You wish, troll! it is you who are forgettable, yet another tiresome Topix mercenary, how boring, how forgettable.

and yet, you are following company policy:

"The money is in the muck" - Chris Tolles

that is, until Jack Conway and the growing number of Attorney Generals and bloggers, force Topix to abandon its corporate fascism.
hilarious

Amsterdam, Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

Razorback Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt that will ever happen, for some it is an amusement and others feel it is their calling.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

<quoted text>
You wish, troll! it is you who are forgettable, yet another tiresome Topix mercenary, how boring, how forgettable.
that is, until Jack Conway and the growing number of Attorney Generals and bloggers, force Topix to abandon its corporate fascism.
ummm, your ride is here:

http://justifiedright.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834...
debby

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

it is probably topix that gets the dough. i figure the corrupt lawyers are in cahoots with the law somehow or another. and naturally the lawyers need the internet for advertisement. it is all a scam. the entire operation needs to be investigated!
debby

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

<quoted text>
ms hog-e?
debby

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

hilarious wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt that will ever happen, for some it is an amusement and others feel it is their calling.
yes. ty. it is my civil duty to humanity to warn them of the internet. and my destiny is to kill the devil until God gets here and finishes him off.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

debby wrote:
it is probably topix that gets the dough. i figure the corrupt lawyers are in cahoots with the law somehow or another. and naturally the lawyers need the internet for advertisement. it is all a scam. the entire operation needs to be investigated!
TOPIX!...^^^ Where psycho happens!^^^

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

hilarious wrote:
<quoted text>
How interesting, Pasadena troll, that you are able to list the city you are posting from as "Rietberg, Germany". Nice of Topix isn't it, to give trolls posting advantages, further methods of concealing their identities.

Not!!

Hey Top Mod, right here is proof of one of my claims, check it out, Topix patsy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

debby wrote:
<quoted text>yes. ty. it is my civil duty to humanity to warn them of the internet. and my destiny is to kill the devil until God gets here and finishes him off.
you are working for Satan, not God, troll!

“Got Bait?”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Whoa, this is getting nasty.
hilarious

Kista, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Germany?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

hilarious wrote:
Germany?
this time, Stockholm, Sweden. How nice of Topix to allow you to name the city you are posting from, Pasadena troll.

Not!!

yet thank you, for providing further proof, final proof, to the truth that Topix gives trolls advantages us other commentators do not have.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Palo Alto News Video

•••
•••

Palo Alto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Palo Alto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Palo Alto News, Events & Info