Wind Farm May Violate Endangered Spec...

Wind Farm May Violate Endangered Species Act

There are 5930 comments on the www.heartland.org story from Aug 29, 2009, titled Wind Farm May Violate Endangered Species Act . In it, www.heartland.org reports that:

Environmentalist groups have filed a federal lawsuit to require operators of a proposed West Virginia wind farm to obtain a "takings" permit under the Endangered Species Act before they can begin operations.

According to the Animal Welfare Institute and Mountain Communities for Responsible Energy, the proposed Beech Ridge Energy wind farm in Greenbrier County will disrupt the habitat and likely kill an unacceptable number of endangered Indiana bats.

Beech Ridge Energy received approval for the project from the state Public Service Commission after four years of government study and community opposition. The company has begun clearing brush and building roads to haul turbine parts to the site of the proposed wind farm. Beech Ridge Energy plans to construct 124 turbines—each 390 feet tall—along a 23-mile stretch of mountain ridge tops.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.heartland.org.

First Prev
of 297
Next Last

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#6094 Mar 11, 2014
A cruel, cruel joke to small migrating songbirds!!!

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-offshore-farms-h...

This gives me even more resolve to get the word out to more and more people about the destruction wind farms, especially those along major migration routes, will cause to our bird life.

Many birds have already declined by more than 60% in the past 40 years. Imagine a day when no birdsong can be heard in spring.....
It IS coming!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6095 Mar 11, 2014
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't accept them either. ALL tall structures kill migrating birds at night, especially those with lights on them.
I suppose you would prefer that we all were troglodytes.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#6096 Mar 11, 2014
"Tell me again about "Peak Oil", George."

SE Michigan

#6097 Mar 12, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose you would prefer that we all were troglodytes.
I would prefer people actually educate themselves before they throw out opinions.
I woud prefer people not fall for scare tactics.
I would prefer people quit inventing doomsday scenerios.
I would prefer people quit trying to "save the planet" at the expense of the planet.
I would prefer people learn something about healthy ecosystems.

Two simple questions for you (or anyone else who can answer this); how many bird species have you seen in your life?
Where did you go to find them?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#6098 Mar 23, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
"Tell me again about "Peak Oil", George."
On its Facebook page, Texas City Emergency Management said the dike and all parks on the water are closed until further notice. And the Coast Guard said that part of the Houston ship channel was closed to traffic.

Richard Gibbons, the conservation director of the Houston Audubon Society, said there is very important shorebird habitat on both sides of the Houston ship channel.

Audubon has the internationally-recognized Bolivar Flats Shorebird Sanctuary just to the east, which Gibbons said attracts 50,000 to 70,000 shorebirds to shallow mud flats that are perfect foraging habitat. He did not know how much oil had been spilled, but said authorities were aware of the sanctuaries and had practiced using containment booms in the past.

"The timing really couldn't be much worse since we're approaching the peak shorebird migration season," Gibbons said. He added that tens of thousands of wintering birds remain in the area.

Monday marks the 25th anniversary of the Exxon Valdez spill off the coast of Alaska. Suydam said that spill spurred the creation of the General Land Office's Oil Spill and Prevention Division, which is funded by a tax on imported oil that the state legislature passed after the Valdez spill. The division does extensive response planning including pre-positioned equipment along the Texas coast.

http://news.yahoo.com/galveston-bay-oil-spill...

SE Michigan

#6099 Mar 26, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>On its Facebook page, Texas City Emergency Management said the dike and all parks on the water are closed until further notice. And the Coast Guard said that part of the Houston ship channel was closed to traffic.
Richard Gibbons, the conservation director of the Houston Audubon Society, said there is very important shorebird habitat on both sides of the Houston ship channel.
Audubon has the internationally-recognized Bolivar Flats Shorebird Sanctuary just to the east, which Gibbons said attracts 50,000 to 70,000 shorebirds to shallow mud flats that are perfect foraging habitat. He did not know how much oil had been spilled, but said authorities were aware of the sanctuaries and had practiced using containment booms in the past.
"The timing really couldn't be much worse since we're approaching the peak shorebird migration season," Gibbons said. He added that tens of thousands of wintering birds remain in the area.
Monday marks the 25th anniversary of the Exxon Valdez spill off the coast of Alaska. Suydam said that spill spurred the creation of the General Land Office's Oil Spill and Prevention Division, which is funded by a tax on imported oil that the state legislature passed after the Valdez spill. The division does extensive response planning including pre-positioned equipment along the Texas coast.
http://news.yahoo.com/galveston-bay-oil-spill...
I am ALL FOR protecting important shorebird habitat in areas where there is a high concentration of them. Losing 70,000 shorebirds would be a huge loss! If shipping oil through there is that great a danger to the birds than it shouldn't be done! OR they should take extra precautions to be sure a spill can't happen (which should be done anywhere anyway). And if it does...instant response to minimize the damage.

How does that threat compare to offshore wind farms along the coast?

From March through about mid-May, over 500 million songbirds from the tropics head north and cross the Gulf of Mexico on their way to the northern US and Canada. They have an 18 hour nonstop flight over water, sometimes in very stormy weather, which adds to the risk of making it to our shores alive. Many don't.

Now add a wind farm with hundreds of giant wind turbines and spinning blades to the area where the migrants are most exhausted and often losing altitude. This is an ecological catastrophe waiting to happen! Visibility is sometimes zero out there during a storm, low clouds, fog, or mist.

To top it off, put a light on each turbine for aviation safety, and now you have a double catastrophe in the making, as we know birds often get "trapped" in lights circling around them in confusion (or hunting for insects) for hours eventually becoming exhausted and plunging into the earth, or sea, below.

The risk of those turbines killing tremendous numbers of birds daily during migration is something beyond our comprehension! Even me, as a bird watcher, can't fathom the numbers of birds these wind farms can/will claim. I won't even mention fall migration.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#6100 Mar 28, 2014
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is refusing to turn over documents related to enforcement of environmental laws at wind farms where dozens of eagles and other protected birds have been killed, House Republicans charged Wednesday.

#Rep. Doc Hastings, R-Wash., said the Fish and Wildlife Service has engaged in a “deliberate slow rolling of documents and answers” for nearly a year. Hastings is chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee, which has been seeking to compel the wildlife agency to turn over internal documents related to its enforcement of laws protecting eagles and other birds.

#An Associated Press investigation last year revealed the administration was not prosecuting wind energy companies for killing eagles and other protected birds....
http://union-bulletin.com/news/2014/mar/27/go...

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#6101 Apr 29, 2014
Wind farms kill people too:

4 Killed in Plane Crash at South Dakota Wind Farm
HIGHMORE, S.D. April 28, 2014 (AP)

A small airplane heading back to South Dakota after a Texas cattle sale crashed into a wind farm in foggy weather, killing the pilot and three passengers.

Steve Stengel with Florida-based NextEra Energy Resources says the wreckage was found on the site of the South Dakota Wind Energy Center.

That operation south of Highmore has 27 turbines that are about 213 feet tall, plus the length of the blade....

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/killed-pla...
litesong

Everett, WA

#6102 Apr 29, 2014
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]Wind farms kill people too:[/QUOTE]

Picking a cause of an airplane crash, before the FAA makes an investigation & final conclusion, is what someone without science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc in a poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa AND errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, 73 million TIMES, & 2.5+ trillion TIMES, would do.
litesong

Everett, WA

#6103 Apr 29, 2014
rapt igan wrote:
add a wind farm with hundreds of giant wind turbines and spinning blades to the area..........
From a website first introduced by Space Blues:

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-offshore-farms-h...

While disrupting hurricanes, the wind turbines would protect lots of birds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 297
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wildlife Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Python eggs, over easy: Hunter captures 12-foot... Jun '17 Christsharian Dee... 2
News Conservation group to take over eastern Ontario... Jun '17 park-ecology 1
News Let's all help stop the Shale Quarry (Dec '10) Jun '17 15-year-old boy hurt 2
News Florida undercover gator farm nabs 9 men on 44 ... May '17 who ya gonna call 1
News PSNI to monitor Peregrine sites across Northern... May '17 Rev Don Wildmoan 1
News MSNBC Guest Worried About Trump's Border Wall B... Apr '17 spud 4
News Dead gator in Florida dorm room means warning f... Apr '17 Visitor 3
More from around the web