Wind Farm May Violate Endangered Spec...

Wind Farm May Violate Endangered Species Act

There are 5930 comments on the www.heartland.org story from Aug 29, 2009, titled Wind Farm May Violate Endangered Species Act . In it, www.heartland.org reports that:

Environmentalist groups have filed a federal lawsuit to require operators of a proposed West Virginia wind farm to obtain a "takings" permit under the Endangered Species Act before they can begin operations.

According to the Animal Welfare Institute and Mountain Communities for Responsible Energy, the proposed Beech Ridge Energy wind farm in Greenbrier County will disrupt the habitat and likely kill an unacceptable number of endangered Indiana bats.

Beech Ridge Energy received approval for the project from the state Public Service Commission after four years of government study and community opposition. The company has begun clearing brush and building roads to haul turbine parts to the site of the proposed wind farm. Beech Ridge Energy plans to construct 124 turbines—each 390 feet tall—along a 23-mile stretch of mountain ridge tops.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.heartland.org.

SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#6073 Feb 27, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Wind turbines placed upstream from cities might protect them from hurricanes and storms until the wind rips them down and flings their blades into vehicles, roads or buildings. We know sea walls can reduce storm damage; there are entire coastlines and small countries created from coastal development. I've yet to see wind farms protect even a single sparrow...
Do you need repetition that your opinion of science doe not matter?

Read the link. It's the opposite.
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#6074 Feb 27, 2014
does not matter
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#6075 Feb 27, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Do you need repetition that your opinion of science does not matter?
Read the link. It's the opposite.
http://phys.org/news/2014-02-o ffshore-farms-hurricanes.html

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#6076 Feb 27, 2014
Sounds like they are really grasping at straws now that they know the public is turning on them as people learn the truth about the bird and bat slaughter.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#6077 Feb 27, 2014
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
Sounds like they are really grasping at straws now that they know the public is turning on them as people learn the truth about the bird and bat slaughter.
No, you are utterly mistaken, RiM.

Btw, hurricanes and their tornadoes, thunder, etc. kill a lot of birds and bat. The wind farms will save lives. But you must read the link as well.

P.S. My friend from New Orleans got excited about the science and will support wind farms.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#6078 Feb 27, 2014
litesong

Everett, WA

#6079 Feb 27, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
http://phys.org/news/2014-02-o ffshore-farms-hurricanes.html
Ha ha ha...... Its my favorite scientist, Mark Z. Jacobson, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Stanford! Expert in air pollution, he has developed entire facilities & faculties to scientifically study many problems. I'm having a hard time understanding how tens of thousands of wind turbines could slow hurricane velocities as much as he states possible. Must be a complete disruption of carefully constructed hurricane dynamics when encountering even the outermost rows of wind turbines...... truly a remarkable new area of study, which needs major funding to verify the initial results of the Jacobson research.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6080 Feb 28, 2014
Through Texas and Oklahoma, I saw many wind farms. The turbines have a majestic beauty of their own through ascetics and function. Much more so than those ugly cellular towers that most seem to accept!
litesong

Everett, WA

#6081 Feb 28, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
Through Texas and Oklahoma......The turbines have a majestic beauty of their own through ascetics and function. Much more so than those ugly cellular towers that most seem to accept!
In our Pacific northwest in eastern Washington & Oregon where winds are very strong, I do enjoy seeing them on the barren ridges, especially now that the exceedingly efficient gearless wind turbines are powerfully extracting energy from the winds. I often stop along side the roads to photograph them & have even driven on-sight to watch the construction of these awesome wind tappers. & they have even become more awesome if Prof. Mark Jacobson's new research has any validity, that huge arrays of wind turbines could disrupt hurricanes! Much more research will have to verify his findings.
litesong

Everett, WA

#6082 Feb 28, 2014
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]They park Formula One racers in a garage between races.[/QUOTE]

No, the cars & all support gear & personnel board airplanes (raptor killers for sure), & onto the next world city to race there. Oh, yeah. Formula One racing gets underway in March & will last to November.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#6084 Mar 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha...... Its my favorite scientist, Mark Z. Jacobson, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Stanford! Expert in air pollution, he has developed entire facilities & faculties to scientifically study many problems. I'm having a hard time understanding how tens of thousands of wind turbines could slow hurricane velocities as much as he states possible. Must be a complete disruption of carefully constructed hurricane dynamics when encountering even the outermost rows of wind turbines...... truly a remarkable new area of study, which needs major funding to verify the initial results of the Jacobson research.
He is not alone. It's a joint program with U of Delaware and Stanford.

Imagine its appication in the islands the way Denmark, a peninsula aka Jutland has done. Not only electricity produced but also shorelines protected. They did not build seawalls like the Netherlands.

Denmark was a pioneer in developing commercial wind power during the 1970s, and today a substantial share of the wind turbines around the world are produced by Danish manufacturers such as Vestas and Siemens Wind Power along with many component suppliers. Wind power provided just over 30% of electricity production in Denmark in 2012.[1][2] In 2012 the Danish government adopted a plan to increase the share of electricity production from wind to 50% by 2020.[3][from Wikipedia]
litesong

Everett, WA

#6085 Mar 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
Ha ha ha...... Its my favorite scientist, Mark Z. Jacobson, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Stanford! Expert in air pollution, he has developed entire facilities & faculties to scientifically study many problems.
//////////
SpaceBlues wrote:
//////////
litesong wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant by, "he has developed entire facilities & faculties to scientifically study many problems".
litesong

Everett, WA

#6086 Mar 1, 2014
Prof. Jacobson on David Letterman:
litesong

Everett, WA

#6087 Mar 1, 2014
Much more from Prof. Jacobson:
litesong

Everett, WA

#6088 Mar 1, 2014
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#6089 Mar 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
litesong wrote:
Ha ha ha...... Its my favorite scientist, Mark Z. Jacobson, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Stanford! Expert in air pollution, he has developed entire facilities & faculties to scientifically study many problems.
//////////
SpaceBlues wrote:
//////////
litesong wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant by, "he has developed entire facilities & faculties to scientifically study many problems".
And you did not read my previous post replying to you in more detail.. just for you.. because topix deleted it last night.

C'est la vie.

SE Michigan

#6090 Mar 11, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
"The proposed Kenedy County Wind Projects, totaling 1,200 MW, are unprecedented along the Gulf Coast and the operation of these proposed projects could result in the largest and most significant avian mortality event in the history of wind energy," says the EDM report.

"The associated negative repercussions to the expanding wind industry both in the U.S and the internationally could be significant as well," the report says.

"The group is not opposed to wind power, but believes the review of the siting of wind energy projects along the Texas Gulf Coast is the key to ensuring that an irrevocable environmental tragedy is not caused in the name of saving the environment," the alliance says.

http://www.texasgulfcoastonline.com/News/tabi...

SE Michigan

#6091 Mar 11, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>No, you are utterly mistaken, RiM.
Btw, hurricanes and their tornadoes, thunder, etc. kill a lot of birds and bat. The wind farms will save lives. But you must read the link as well.
P.S. My friend from New Orleans got excited about the science and will support wind farms.
Sounds like your friend from New Orleans knows NOTHING about bird migration along the Gulf, eh?
Imagine this; birds get along fine for 2 billion years, hundreds of different and beautiful species, migrating back and forth twice each year. Humans determine they know what's best for the planet and in our effort to protect all the earth's species, they built wind turbines along the Gulf.... in order to SAVE THE PLANET and it's many species, and in twenty years, 500 species of birds go extinct BECAUSE of wind turbines killing them in migration... Brilliant! NOT!!

SE Michigan

#6092 Mar 11, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
Through Texas and Oklahoma, I saw many wind farms. The turbines have a majestic beauty of their own through ascetics and function. Much more so than those ugly cellular towers that most seem to accept!
I don't accept them either. ALL tall structures kill migrating birds at night, especially those with lights on them.

SE Michigan

#6093 Mar 11, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
In our Pacific northwest in eastern Washington & Oregon where winds are very strong, I do enjoy seeing them on the barren ridges, especially now that the exceedingly efficient gearless wind turbines are powerfully extracting energy from the winds. I often stop along side the roads to photograph them & have even driven on-sight to watch the construction of these awesome wind tappers. & they have even become more awesome if Prof. Mark Jacobson's new research has any validity, that huge arrays of wind turbines could disrupt hurricanes! Much more research will have to verify his findings.
Next time, try to get closer. Walk among the turbines (make sure it's during peak migration times) and tell me how many dead songbirds you find underneath them.

PS. Peak Migration is March through May and again August through November.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wildlife Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bollywood star Salman Khan gets 5 years for poa... Apr 5 No Poaching 1
News Liberals draw fire for 'highly disappointing' r... Mar '18 Know yer H20 sour... 1
News Indiana State awarded $900,000 grant to study b... Mar '18 jdhges 1
News Florida python found with deer inside it Mar '18 Prophet Meowmed 4
News Family Weekend activities at Halton conservatio... Feb '18 Wildlife eh 1
News Quarry objections deadline looming (Dec '10) Feb '18 Ring of Fire 4
News Let's all help stop the Shale Quarry (Dec '10) Jan '18 nuther 1 2 watch 3