2 die in Downey police face-offs

2 die in Downey police face-offs

There are 9 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Mar 21, 2010, titled 2 die in Downey police face-offs. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

It was a violent weekend for Downey police after a knife-wielding suspect was killed in an officer-involved shooting and another man died after police used a Taser gun, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

PD Supporter

Anaheim, CA

#1 Mar 22, 2010
Good Job Downey PD. Thank you for keeping the streets safe. Keep up the good work.
toddleslbc

Long Beach, CA

#4 Mar 22, 2010
Hatchet = Small Axe
johnny salami

United States

#5 Mar 22, 2010
kudo's downey pd!
common sense

Bellflower, CA

#6 Mar 22, 2010
Thanks Downey PD for protecting all of the law-abiding, taxpaying, families in Downey. We don't need more crazy drug-ridden scumbags roaming our streets.
a mother

Reseda, CA

#7 Mar 22, 2010
You don't know the facts,i talked to the eye witnesses....The story police are telling....all lies.ahe truth will come out.What happen to people who cared for on another?
Evelyn

Reseda, CA

#8 Mar 22, 2010
My heart is broken for this family.I seen Steve grow up.He was a good boy,growing up.And was a good man,served our country in Iraq.Protecting all of us,including our wonderful police.The police are trained...to see when a person has a blank look in thier face.He did not raise his arms.Was just standing in a daze.he was having alot of problems..in life.We don't take care of our Veterans as we should .He went to get help,and told him come back Monday!!!!to late huh !!!!I seen him on his first day of school...The most beautiful little boy,with his big brown eyes looking up at me.This I will never forget.He was my son's best friend...Joey we lost steve...what a lost may God be with his family...alot of people loved Steve,and he leaves his 2 small son's.My heart is broken.
Rob

United States

#9 Mar 23, 2010
a mother wrote:
You don't know the facts,i talked to the eye witnesses....The story police are telling....all lies.ahe truth will come out.What happen to people who cared for on another?
Not quite, If your not in the officers shes, don't judge them. OIS are not something officers want to do, the situation was forced upon them.
If the victim/suspect had real issues it is a tragedy that he was turned away from help.
Downey Police have had very few OIS incidents and I think that is testimony to the training the officers have when compared to other local departments. Being that I live in the area of the shooting, I for one and grateful to the officers, and mournful for the victim/suspect and his family in the incident.

But working in Public Safety, I can tell you, that the situation of getting hurt or hurting someone else, I am going home at the tend of the day.
Evelyn

Reseda, CA

#10 Mar 23, 2010
As a Downey resident for 30 years ...we pay you to protect and serve. I believe if you are not willing die to save us citizens then you need to choose another profession. Us first, then your family! Our men and women in the military are willing to die for their country, and die in other parts of the world. They are at greater risk of never seeing their families again, some know they will never come back. We need that kind of bravery here!! Seems to me police officers don't have the heart the compassion as our men and women in the military. Police officers stick together no matter what, right or wrong, it's a brother and sisterhood mentality. They have big egos and they are bullies with a badge and think they are superior to everyone else. Cowards with a gun, power trippers and showoffs. They don't even abide by the laws they enforce, they get caught for speeding all they have to do is flash their badge and on they go! They get away with murder! They love the perks and the title. Replace these cowards with real heros, our military men and women. Since this will never happen, training should be thorough in the different types of scenarios that officers will come across and not treat it all so cookie cutter. I'll grant it that not all officers are this way, even though I haven't met one yet, I'll give the far and few the benefit of the doubt.
Robert

Newport Beach, CA

#12 Oct 25, 2011
Evelyn wrote:
As a Downey resident for 30 years ...we pay you to protect and serve. I believe if you are not willing die to save us citizens then you need to choose another profession. Us first, then your family! Our men and women in the military are willing to die for their country, and die in other parts of the world. They are at greater risk of never seeing their families again, some know they will never come back. We need that kind of bravery here!! Seems to me police officers don't have the heart the compassion as our men and women in the military. Police officers stick together no matter what, right or wrong, it's a brother and sisterhood mentality. They have big egos and they are bullies with a badge and think they are superior to everyone else. Cowards with a gun, power trippers and showoffs. They don't even abide by the laws they enforce, they get caught for speeding all they have to do is flash their badge and on they go! They get away with murder! They love the perks and the title. Replace these cowards with real heros, our military men and women. Since this will never happen, training should be thorough in the different types of scenarios that officers will come across and not treat it all so cookie cutter. I'll grant it that not all officers are this way, even though I haven't met one yet, I'll give the far and few the benefit of the doubt.
Evelyn it seems to me you don't even know what you are talking about, did you really expect a police officer to stand there and take a blow. I understand the suspect had issues in life but it doesnt meen he can just hit the streets and do whatever he wants. Every action has its consequences. And just incase you didnt know, many Police Offciers have served in our military.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama's vacation starts with beach run (Jul '10) Apr '16 Lukegilbert 2
Walking for weight loss (Jul '15) Jul '15 Jess33 1
News Bethenny Frankel holding hands with man weeks a... (May '15) May '15 disgusted 1
News 2015 Walk & Talk series kicks off on Feb. 23 (Feb '15) Feb '15 Burlington GTA 1
News Zikto to take on the world at Creative Business... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Markson 1
European Peace Walk (Jun '14) Jun '14 EuropeanPeaceWalk 1
Raising Testosterone? (Mar '14) Mar '14 lostsoul62 1
More from around the web